Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
gee i wonder what people did in the days before computers were around and programs for running businesses were available???

i guess i'm just old enough to know how to do things without a computer or a cell phone. i was 30 years old before i got my first cell phone. i was 32 before i got my first computer. i was around the same age before i opened my first checking account. i've never owned a credit card in my life and i never will. how on earth will i make it???

kids these days don't think you can live without this stuff but it is possible.
Im 28, and i like to think I have a decent understanding.

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

could you tell someone that face to face or would you have to send them a text?

just kidding
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

i would facebook it!!!

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
gee i wonder what people did in the days before computers were around and programs for running businesses were available???

i guess i'm just old enough to know how to do things without a computer or a cell phone. i was 30 years old before i got my first cell phone. i was 32 before i got my first computer. i was around the same age before i opened my first checking account. i've never owned a credit card in my life and i never will. how on earth will i make it???

What people did ....? First, they spent much time with massive journal books, special pens and colors. Secondly, they had many people check their work, duplicating effort, to find errors. Manual entries were very prone to errors. So, yes, people managed, but with much human resources and lots of errors.

Yes, some "kids" can't live without this stuff. Do you remember TRS-80 with Visicalc? How much of a new world did this open that was formerly closed? Do you remember the coming of connected equations within spreadsheets? What kind of change did this bring to many fields, including finance? How much did the 386, 486, ... processors change to allow much faster computing?

I first started with business in 1968, but in a minor way. In 1974, I was more deeply involved, and was able to do much programming to enable us to advance our business. Off-the-shelf programs were not readily available, so we did our own home-grown programs. Having the means to manage the business financially was a very important element in moving forward. The functionality of today's software makes our efforts seem pale by comparison. Costs for software much less functional was in the thousands, over against the hundred for something like QuickBooks. No, mark that, ... that would be in the tens of thousands.

Or, take a technical track. Solving a 3X3 matrix by hand was doable, but time consuming. A 4X4 was a very significant task. By the late 1960s, we were able to handle matrices of hundreds. Having the computer to solve these simultaneous equations made engineering projects far more doable and efficient. In the 1970s, we were able to deal with matrices in the thousands, and analytical work was entirely changed. Base assumptions needed to work by hand were eliminated. Loadings, heat transfer, vibrations, and non-linear engineering problems were opened to fields formerly unknown at a time before computers.

Or, take weather forecasting .... (for another day)

So, yes, we managed without computers.

What were you doing in the 1960s, 1970s ... ? Were you still doing things without computer in the 1990s?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you are way over complicating this man.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We started in the 70's we used ledger books and accountants. Today we use computers with custom software. If you don't want to spend big coin on custom software then quick books should be considerd
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cant remember which year I said it, but the first time I saw a person with a cell phone, I thought...what's the point? Now here I am using my smartphone and taking advantage of its capabilities. Technology provides us with conveniences, albeit it at a cost.

I use quickbooks for the same reason. I was looking for a more automated way to keep track of everything, and have access to it while mobile. Another convenience. Could I do it with pads and carbon paper copies, and ledgers, Sure....but why?

ON a side note, I just used quickbooks reports features to determine what my costs per hour are, and broke it down to fuel per hour (on average), etc.
It just helps me understand where I'm at, and where I'm headed. It can be done with pen and paper for sure, but im all for taking advantage of our advancements.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

EXACTLY MY POINT!!! Example: sure internal plumbing is nice to have- but who needs it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by 205mx; 05-25-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'm not saying you can't use computers i'm just saying it's not necessary. also pen and paper is alot cheaper than buying software programs. to me pen and paper is simple and easy to do. i have no need to use a computer program.

i spend like a min every day updating everything. it's not that complicated.

sure software would be much better if you have a large business with multiple crews and alot more to keep up with but when you have 20 customers and work alone a pen and paper work just fine.