Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not to be a smarta$$, but since this under the herb/pest forum. Should we all be wearing long sleeves anyway. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't worry about tattoos. Old people might not like them but they're living in their own world not the current real one. As long as you're dressed clean and do great work I don't see it being an issue. Some people think that if you have tattoos you must be some kind of scumbag drug addict and don't take care of yourself. I don't want ignorant customers like that and most of you on here probably don't either. Let his work speak for himself
Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

@ Grumpy Old Fart Ric
Attached Images

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 7 tattoo's 3 on each arm and 1 on the back and my nephew has several. I have no problem with them I also have 2 ear rings in my ear and , I have several older retired customers and they love me and my work. There all repeat customers who pay well and on time
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

My company does Not mow. We are a high end turf management company working on some pretty bad @ss properties. They are all repeat customers for many years and I do not want any of them to question who I am putting into their space, as almost all my work is referral.
All of my guys are certified techs and new hires are required to become certified in a year.
Had the guy back today and told him I have a no exposed tattoo policy and would have to cover them while at work. He had no problem with it. Next step is reference checks,

Thanks for all the inputs . I'm done here

John
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Employee tattoos

My company doesn't have a formal policy but prefers no visible tattoos, no jewelry and clean shaven. I have a goatee and four tattoos but they can't be seen with a tee shirt on. I planned it that way, besides I got them for me so I don't care to show them off. As for the facial hair, I had to be clean cut while I was in the Air Force, I'm not shaving it now.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
OK, You're an old grumpy guy. I had older people as customers when I had my lawn business and not a single one paid any mind to any of my tattoos or piercings. I've got 4 highly visible tattoos on my right forearm as well as stretched ears and 1 eyebrow and 1 eyebrow surface piercing.
I've got more than just the 4 tattoo's on my forearm, but unless I show you the piece on my upper arm or I'm wearing shorts you can't see them. I can also cover them if need be, in the winter I wear jeans, if I have someplace to go where jeans and a tee shirt won't work I have dress pants and long sleeve dress shirts.

Don't take my looks as a lack of knowledge or that I'm a troublemaker, slacker, freak or whatever YOU want to label me as. The thing is, it's just that a label, do you label and or judge others by the color of their skin? I'd like to think that the answer would be a no, but honestly I have my doubts.
Moral of the story is I see most of you never learned the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover"

Not that you would know or even care but Ric is 1/2 Asian. His kids are 3/4 Asian I believe. The last thing he would do is make a judgment based on race.

If some of you would read what he has posted you would see that he is trying to point out that what matters(when you are in business) is what your customer perceives. If you don't want to deal with customers who are unsure about someone with tattoos and piercings showing, then don't. Just understand that you have reduced your pool of potential customers and you have in essence, placed the limit on yourself.

I've been "round and round" with my niece who has all of the qualifications of a paralegal(and is smart enough to get into law school) She could never get past just being a legal aid. She's smart, she had interviews. Problem was, she has a tattoo on her shoulder which part of shows sometimes depending on what she wears and she has 2 piercings in one eyebrow and 2 in her lip. She'd go to the interviews with those rings in, then get pissed when she didn't get the job. I pointed out why...Her comment was, "That's BS, it shouldn't matter." Maybe it is, but the fact of the matter is...It does for the position she was applying for. So, you have the choice of bending a little to the ways of the world, or you can march to the beat of a different drummer and do things your own way. If that works for you...great. But, don't piss and moan if the rest of the world doesn't immediately jump on your bandwagon. IMO, you will have a better chance of success in the business world, whether you are the employee or the boss, if you are concerned a little more about others perceptions and a little less concerned about how YOUas an individual think things should be.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well said. Part of what reassures prospective clients is that I have no tattoos, piercings, and I have a full head of hair that is not shaved off. The cage fighter look only goes so far. Yes, I do have a full beard and moustache to go with the full head of hair. But there are no beads braided into it, it is not this thin nappy thing that hangs down past my neck. It is always trimmed. I only do this so that I am never mistaken for an 11 year old boy because I am about the size of one.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmill26 View Post
I don't worry about tattoos. Old people might not like them but they're living in their own world not the current real one. As long as you're dressed clean and do great work I don't see it being an issue. Some people think that if you have tattoos you must be some kind of scumbag drug addict and don't take care of yourself. I don't want ignorant customers like that and most of you on here probably don't either. Let his work speak for himself
Well said, i've come to find customers that judge others because of a tattoo have other priorities on their mind, their lawn seeming to be one of the last things. Already off top major mental problems - they mostly need a live in counselor, not a lawn guy, and what i have found most with these types of customers is you'll end up loosing more money than making, because these people are the ones that seem to always have a 'honey do' list longer than long island and its not something that when we bid the lawn, we originally included, so basically them wanting something for nothing. No, i am not to fond of these types of customers at all. Alot of this to me is like saying having a tattoo is a sentence that says 'what you have a tattoo?!? I know you just want to do lawn work but you cannot interact with the rest of the world, you go over there and live and keep to yourself!' And really, just how humane is that? Yes, well said indeed.

Last edited by buddee; 05-24-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Not that you would know or even care but Ric is 1/2 Asian. His kids are 3/4 Asian I believe. The last thing he would do is make a judgment based on race.

If some of you would read what he has posted you would see that he is trying to point out that what matters(when you are in business) is what your customer perceives. If you don't want to deal with customers who are unsure about someone with tattoos and piercings showing, then don't. Just understand that you have reduced your pool of potential customers and you have in essence, placed the limit on yourself.

I've been "round and round" with my niece who has all of the qualifications of a paralegal(and is smart enough to get into law school) She could never get past just being a legal aid. She's smart, she had interviews. Problem was, she has a tattoo on her shoulder which part of shows sometimes depending on what she wears and she has 2 piercings in one eyebrow and 2 in her lip. She'd go to the interviews with those rings in, then get pissed when she didn't get the job. I pointed out why...Her comment was, "That's BS, it shouldn't matter." Maybe it is, but the fact of the matter is...It does for the position she was applying for. So, you have the choice of bending a little to the ways of the world, or you can march to the beat of a different drummer and do things your own way. If that works for you...great. But, don't piss and moan if the rest of the world doesn't immediately jump on your bandwagon. IMO, you will have a better chance of success in the business world, whether you are the employee or the boss, if you are concerned a little more about others perceptions and a little less concerned about how YOUas an individual think things should be.
Well said. Even the best skills and work ethic don't matter much if the initial impression doesn't leave the potential customer (or employer) feeling comfortable. No, a tattoo doesn't mean your a bad person. But face it, prison tattoos, face piercings etc. do not project a squeaky clean image. Understand that some (many) aren't "at ease" with a guy with Tattoos and piercings being on their property around their children. Really just that simple.

Btw, I don't have a thing in the world against Tats. But if you've gotten one on your face, or neck that simply can't be covered. You've probably limited your potential for employment. People do judge you based on your appearance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread