Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed it varies by situation. Around here though half the jobs are built solely on dust and the ones with base are never more than 4" deep. The ones that were done properly do not move. I guess around here people have high tolerances for poor work though and most associate the common failures of poor workmanship as just part of the life of a paver rather than installation issues. Makes me sad.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The ones I've done have sunk around an inch. Normally near the edges. We usually tamp it and add sand and relay the brick. This was for one family who was selling the house and didn't want a tripping hazard. The other was for a customer who plans on redoing the whole patio but wanted to buy a few years time with the current brick
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you order a house salad with thousand island dressing t a restaurant but they being you a salad with blue cheese dressing - then proper protocol is for the restaurant to make you a new salad from scratch, not wipe off the thousand island dressing with a napkin.

Same goes for redoing a patio the right way.

A patio done wrong is a patio done wrong.

If a prospective client calls me an wants a price I'm going to do this thing that I've read about on Lawnsite over the last 10 years that people call "pre-qualify". In gonna inform the prospective client on the phone how this works and what to expect from my reputable enterprise. This way if they have a problem with the potential of starting over - they can voice their displeasure and save me and their-self from wasting both of our time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Again Mr. Andrew is missing the point here nobody said the patio was done wrong the patio was done 15 years ago the subbase sunk so what do we do we at granular we compactly relay the patio case closed we make money I buy new excavators and toys you sit there and you tell people sorry it's got to be done this way and only this way and then you spend all day on the phone chatting I like my world better
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Again Mr. Andrew is missing the point here nobody said the patio was done wrong the patio was done 15 years ago the subbase sunk so what do we do we at granular we compactly relay the patio case closed we make money I buy new excavators and toys you sit there and you tell people sorry it's got to be done this way and only this way and then you spend all day on the phone chatting I like my world better
Posted via Mobile Device
So what the other Mr. Andrew is saying is interlocking patios are prone to sinking? Their lifespan is limited? 15 years and that's it?

Why are you using excavators for fixing patios? #confused

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

15 years is a long time on a brand-new development with the Clay subbase
My repair crew does not need excavators I need excavators for my crew
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So interlocking pavements is a poor choice, then poured concrete is better?

#stillconfusedwhereexcavatorscomeintoplay
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Interlocking pavement is a great choice it's a lot easier to redo then poured concrete that will sink
My point about the excavator is that I make a good dollar doing repair work why turn it down when the work is there. Instead of telling everybody it's going to end up Costing more you could assess the job knowing there is a good base and actually do the repair work and does not have to cost three times as much to redo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
Interlocking pavement is a great choice it's a lot easier to redo then poured concrete that will sink
My point about the excavator is that I make a good dollar doing repair work why turn it down when the work is there. Instead of telling everybody it's going to end up Costing more you could assess the job knowing there is a good base and actually do the repair work and does not have to cost three times as much to redo.
Posted via Mobile Device
One thing I did learn from Paver Pete is "never spend your customer's money".

the other Andrew's real reason for mentioning new excavators and toys is he was implying "i have a lotta bling, and you don't because you're selective".

Well - some of us have worked hard to get to a point where we're able to pick and choose what jobs we're interested in and what jobs we're not interested in. And the less bling we're sporting - the more selective we're able to be. If you get my drift

Just yesterday morning I was having a conservation with my Latino employees about sparkely equipment.

So Pete's comment can also relate to judging others allied to the industry by how much they spend on bling.

I will say - we have a racing trailer full of top of the line, tip top condition, shiney, sparkely bling. Compliments of wise business decisions.......
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 05-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You don't seem to get my point. My point is I run a well tuned business I do new installs I do repair work I assess the situation the pavers have a good base I do the work I do the job and I get paid well . Some guys just turn their nose up to work you may call it being selective but at the same time you're always the one looking for work I don't have to look for work it comes to me And trust me I am very selective about the work I do
Posted via Mobile Device