Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Some good comments/suggestions here. I am new to eastern Kansas and the high humidity but worked as a paramedic and ran a paramedic service for years and was involved in athletic activities for myself that involved calculating water and electrolyte consumption. Here is a website that has several helpful hints: http://www.gatorade.com/default.aspx...eries_article1

The other fluid I used a lot was G2, it has half the sugar as Gatorade - they have a low calorie version also but still has the sodium and potassium and some carbohydrates needed. That combined half and half with water or just a bottle several times a day along with plenty of water can help keep the balance. If all you drink is water you can become depleted on the sodium and potassium. I think what has been mentioned here as to heat problems is mostly along the lines of heat exhaustion, not heat stroke. Heat Stroke is an immediate 911 call and is life threatening. Heat exhaustion means stop working, get fluids and shade and no work for the rest of the day. Heat exhaustion is the road to heat stroke if you don't treat it early. For you guys who have no choice but to keep working all day it sounds like you are aware of what you have to do but there is no harm in researching this further on the internet via the medical websites.

It is a fact that most athletes and hot weather workers do not drink enough fluids. Make sure your urine is not dark yellow and stays a lighter color. I work around a 5 acre property and have a little fanny pack, and a CamelBak that has a water bottle holder and nothing else. Some of you may use the CamelBak, etc. These are great and can hold a lot of water and you can drink as you work. That way I still drink when I'm on the tractor and don't want to take time to get to the house or vehicle for water and can refill when I do. Thanks for reminding me of this issue in the hot and humid climate that I just moved to.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The weather is HORRIBLE down here. its not the heat its really the humidity. its that kind of weather when you step out side for five minutes it feels like you cant breathe good and you immediately are drenched in sweat. That's how it is down here May through early November. July and August are the worst. We call those days the "dog days." It feels like you can never drink enough water.

Just imagine what people did before there was A/C.

Im not really complaining about it, im just stating the facts.
-Grasshopper front mount 61", gravely 52"
-36" Gravely Walkbehind, 21" exmark push mower
-Stihl everything
Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had snow one day a couple weeks ago and then 7 days later it was 98 degrees, not much humidity but the temperature shock was insane. It has been in the 60s & 70s since then, this week was rainy and cold. I believe I suffered from heat exhaustion that day, I was practically running behind my WB doing clean ups and felt weak after working the remainder of that night until I was able to eat something. I had only drank a gallon of water during that time and that's what I normally drink in a day. The only issue I have is my gallon jug of water gets to be 100+ degrees in my truck when on a property if it's maintenance, if we're doing an install I'll have it outside and no issues.

Gatorade from the gas station is junk basically. If I do have it, it's the powder that I mix myself so I can have it diluted. I drink all water all day, even with lunch. Pop & energy drinks are horrible for you in the heat. I'll have coffee in the morning but that's it. This year I might try what the pro motocross racers primarily drink, Cytosport powder mix, similar to gatorade but without the chemicals.

For the record, I love the heat and humidity!!!
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
22 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

You northerners have it good.... lol

Humidity is killing me too. Out trimming trees yesterday and practically washed my shirt in sweat.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wear more nylon and wool. Also stay away from the sugar and the heavy fat foods.

A cotton tee shirt compared to a Nike dri fit or other nice summer wear is a huge difference!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You guys sound like you haven't ever been in hot weater......just drink cool water get yourself covered up with loose fitting cotton stuff. If your shirt isn't wet then you aint gong to be cool. Just take a look at those boys crossing the desert and look at what they wear. And you better alay off gator aid that is a bad crutch. Oh by the way in 2011 we had months of 95F to 110F.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lay off the coffee and tea. They dehydrate you. Days I go out to work I just have one cup of tea.

As pointed out hydrate before you hit your first job. Clear piss indicates you are hydrated. Any trace of yellow and your body is not fully hydrated.

So put that water bottle in your cup holder and keep drinking soon as you start your day.

Besides bringing enough water to drink. To help stay cool after I finish loading up and just before I drive to my next job, I take out a gallon of water just to pour some water over my head and wash the sweat off my face, and rinse off my forearms.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
Some good comments/suggestions here. I am new to eastern Kansas and the high humidity but worked as a paramedic and ran a paramedic service for years and was involved in athletic activities for myself that involved calculating water and electrolyte consumption. Here is a website that has several helpful hints: http://www.gatorade.com/default.aspx...eries_article1

The other fluid I used a lot was G2, it has half the sugar as Gatorade - they have a low calorie version also but still has the sodium and potassium and some carbohydrates needed. That combined half and half with water or just a bottle several times a day along with plenty of water can help keep the balance. If all you drink is water you can become depleted on the sodium and potassium. I think what has been mentioned here as to heat problems is mostly along the lines of heat exhaustion, not heat stroke. Heat Stroke is an immediate 911 call and is life threatening. Heat exhaustion means stop working, get fluids and shade and no work for the rest of the day. Heat exhaustion is the road to heat stroke if you don't treat it early. For you guys who have no choice but to keep working all day it sounds like you are aware of what you have to do but there is no harm in researching this further on the internet via the medical websites.

It is a fact that most athletes and hot weather workers do not drink enough fluids. Make sure your urine is not dark yellow and stays a lighter color. I work around a 5 acre property and have a little fanny pack, and a CamelBak that has a water bottle holder and nothing else. Some of you may use the CamelBak, etc. These are great and can hold a lot of water and you can drink as you work. That way I still drink when I'm on the tractor and don't want to take time to get to the house or vehicle for water and can refill when I do. Thanks for reminding me of this issue in the hot and humid climate that I just moved to.
thank you. i keep trying to tell guys in these types of threads that water alone is not enough. guys keep saying stay away from gatorade and stuff like that. they have no idea what they are talking about. you need water and gatorade.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree but folks may want to check out G2, it may be preferable to Gatorade in some respects but if you sweat a lot you need more than water. Available at most supermarkets. Here's a link that might help.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/75...e-g2-vs-water/
Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sugar dehydrates you.

There is not enough water in a bottle of soda for your body to process the sugar in the soda. This is why soda dehyrates you.

Gatorade has sugar. Which undoes all the other ingredients.

I know a national certified athletic trainer that says for 1 bottle of gaterade you need to drink 8 bottles of water.

I'd skip the gaterade, eat a banana, and have a salted pretzel or salted bagel, and keep drinking water so my urine stays clear.
Closed Thread