Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Fixed deck vs. Floating. Belt Drive Vs. Hydro

As the title says. Let's get it started guys. Pros and cons, experience, reliability, sulky, preferred ones, etc.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Started the business with fixed deck belt drives and replaced them with floating deck hydro. Cut is vastly superior and traction and operator comfort has increased substantially.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted View Post
Started the business with fixed deck belt drives and replaced them with floating deck hydro. Cut is vastly superior and traction and operator comfort has increased substantially.
This ^^ nothing wrong with starting out with a fixed deck belt drive walk behind. Many of us did. I replaced mine this year with a floating deck hydro model. World of difference.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
This ^^ nothing wrong with starting out with a fixed deck belt drive walk behind. Many of us did. I replaced mine this year with a floating deck hydro model. World of difference.
What are some differences you have noticed from the two?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
What are some differences you have noticed from the two?
Posted via Mobile Device
My hands forearms and hands don't ache after hours of operation. I can actually do a zero turn on it rather than pivoting off one wheel. If i want to reverse, all I have to do is pull back on the controls, as opposed to my belt drive, I had to stop the machine, lock one of the brakes while holding the other to put the gear selector in reverse then start moving again. Also, no having to change gears. The further I let the controls out, the faster I go. Also, the floating deck is easy to adjust on the fly (no stacking spacers) and it scalps less.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
My hands forearms and hands don't ache after hours of operation. I can actually do a zero turn on it rather than pivoting off one wheel. If i want to reverse, all I have to do is pull back on the controls, as opposed to my belt drive, I had to stop the machine, lock one of the brakes while holding the other to put the gear selector in reverse then start moving again. Also, no having to change gears. The further I let the controls out, the faster I go. Also, the floating deck is easy to adjust on the fly (no stacking spacers) and it scalps less.
Took the words out of my mouth.

The worst part of the belt drive is downhill slopes. You have to control your speed using the brakes and that really sucks. That and gear driven transmissions are cumbersome and limit production.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Damn near impossible to kill a belt drive. For that reason I have several as backups in the shop. Cheap to buy, fix and run. They can help get you started on budget and always be there when a hydro goes down for which parts are not cheap and usually not immediately available. A high degree of mechanical know how needed to fix a hydro.
Fixed vs floating is kind of personal preference. Depending on the turf you cut. 90% of what I cut is SA or Bahia, both cut at 4.5 so fixed is fine for me. Less moving parts means less problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Damn near impossible to kill a belt drive.Posted via Mobile Device
We thought that was true until we had belt drive on 48" Scag WB and we are into our second transmission in 7 years of low use. We have had two 32" scag with belt that are close to 10 years and no problem.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We thought that was true until we had belt drive on 48" Scag WB and we are into our second transmission in 7 years of low use. We have had two 32" scag with belt that are close to 10 years and no problem.
I killed two walk behinds- both had broken transmissions.
Granted they allowed me to start my business on the cheap but never again.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted View Post
I don't think cut quality is really a major advantage of a floating deck. The floating decks may be better but that is more about deck design and more expensive mowers getting better decks.

Tags
belt , fixed , floating , hydro