The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello and Advise be not be ignored

Just signed up here..

Nice to have you guys here.

Sadly i came here out of desperation..

One month ago i quit my job in sales/marketing of 12 years,i simply couldnt take the walking on eggshells,the sheer lowness of human kind i was constantly surrounded with..

I decided to take a u turn in my life (35yo) buy some new lawn equipment and start a lawn care business.Two ferris zero turns blowers,trailers..Have everything i need for now.

I live in the more affluent part of my city,and neighbor a town which is pretty much known as the elite as far as neighborhoods,but the lawn care competition is stiff. Im learning this very quickly.

In my month of being in business ive managed to gain ten accounts,almost all due to me being able to build a website quick and get some adwords up.

But that's it.... Something got messed up with my google account and the calls have stopped..

Its been two weeks since ive gained a client.So i came here...

I sent out 5000 6x9 flyers via eddm retail,on thursday and i asked that they be delivered friday..SInce its saturday and i havent received a phone call,being a spaz i assume the worst and feel i need to step up my game to gain some clients...

Sorry about the long read.I need help.I have a wife and a son and a home i need to support,ive always been the breadwinner,and now making zilch.I will take any advice someone can give me on getting new business....

Is there a trick,a secret you guys have that i dont know about? If so will someone share it? Seriously though..What can i do? im willing to try pretty much anything...

-Jake
Old 05-25-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Jake I commend you for leaving your job but you have to understand the lawn service industry is not one that you will pick up accounts 100 and season. The most successful lawncare businesses grow at a slow and steady rate so that way you can handle each and every customer to your fullest potential. My suggestion if you're seriously worried about finances is to get a part-time job while growing your business. Our stories are very similar I left a full-time position making great money for the quality my life and my family. I was also 35 years old but what I did was grow my business and also work for a few friends of mine that were in the lawn care industry at the same time so that I can grow my business to a point where I could not work with them anymore but strictly work on my own. E DDM is a great program to use however you will see returns over a more lengthy period of time that one day. Keep pushing keep advertising and buy all means befriend to each and every person you meet who may be able to send you a new account
It's always frightening starting something new but keep your head down work hard tighten your belt and you'll make it just fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomLINEGuyNY View Post
Something got messed up with my google account and the calls have stopped..
What do you mean by "messed up"?
Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys...

Yeah the part time job idea sounds about right...

As far as messing up my adwords i meant this...

I started an Adwords Express Account.. Being from marketing im very familiar with website development (in fact im working on mine now) and adertising websites... Adwords especially... But not adwords Express...

Bottom line, i started my adwords express account under one industry..Either lawncare or landscape....

the first week i got tons of calls.Then i was hasty and tried to add a campaign...When i did that,i changed my industry to one of the two above..and the calls stopped i dont know why.I called Google,and i asked them to just do a "Re do" and put it back to how i had it...But i am not sure they did because the calls never came back...Now i don't remember how i had it set up originally and cant afford to pay 50 bucks a day and get no calls..

Hope that all made sense?
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
Hey Jake I commend you for leaving your job but you have to understand the lawn service industry is not one that you will pick up accounts 100 and season. The most successful lawncare businesses grow at a slow and steady rate so that way you can handle each and every customer to your fullest potential. My suggestion if you're seriously worried about finances is to get a part-time job while growing your business. Our stories are very similar I left a full-time position making great money for the quality my life and my family. I was also 35 years old but what I did was grow my business and also work for a few friends of mine that were in the lawn care industry at the same time so that I can grow my business to a point where I could not work with them anymore but strictly work on my own. E DDM is a great program to use however you will see returns over a more lengthy period of time that one day. Keep pushing keep advertising and buy all means befriend to each and every person you meet who may be able to send you a new account
It's always frightening starting something new but keep your head down work hard tighten your belt and you'll make it just fine
Posted via Mobile Device
That's pretty much it, I spent 5 years getting my business where I want it.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

And i expected to hear that Larry,definitely... with such a competitive business, i can see getting frutrated with every tom dick and harry trying to start a landscaping company and expect it to come fast and get rich..

To put it a little more humbly,i would just like enough jobs to eat...And im not really even getting that...
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
And i expected to hear that Larry,definitely... with such a competitive business, i can see getting frutrated with every tom dick and harry trying to start a landscaping company and expect it to come fast and get rich..

To put it a little more humbly,i would just like enough jobs to eat...And im not really even getting that...
I worked a full time job for the first 2 years when I started my business.

I don't have a magic pill for ya.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Ah yes, another new guy. No offense, but almost every one of us here can relate In some way. Welcome to the mean streets, It's dog eat dog. Google and the Internet are great tools, but nothing beats word of mouth, and recommendations. I am sure you can snag a bunch of shoppers off the net, or via advertising. But all of my "best customers" are from referral, or saw my work and solicited my services. The ones that called from a coupon, or flyer, you can have. Good customers are hard to win. Some appreciate good service and a beautiful lawn, others "just want it a little shorter". Don't get caught in the "race to the bottom".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok ,well a lot of helpful stuff here guys.Im glad your here.Thanks for the welcome...
Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ok ,well a lot of helpful stuff here guys.Im glad your here.Thanks for the welcome...
I hope you do good, if lawncare is your passion you will. Its just not a overnite thing, and no other business is eighter.

Tags
jobs , new business , roi