Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelracer View Post
Someone else asked about the Turbo Force. My experience is that it is not as strong as either in their respective areas. However it is a good universal deck. I find the newer ones to be much better than the old. I find it to be closer to it's red cousin, but shares some wet discharge traits with it orange friend.
I own all three, Turbo Force, Ultra Cut, and Velocity and I can tell you from experience the Turbo Force shares absolutely no wet discharge traits of the Velocity. It starts throwing huge clumps at the mere mention of moisture.

Quote:
We like our red Exmark and Toros, but if we had to cut large expanses of tall fescue than I would still have a Velocity and deal with the added maintenance and repairs.
I do cut large expanses of tall fescue and yes, I would agree with you that the Velocity is superior to the Exmark and Toro for my application. As for maintenance and repairs, I shouldn't have to deal with that for much longer as I am weeding out the Exmark and Toro ZTR's. All of my walk behinds are Exmark and I do believe they are still the best in that area.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
I own all three, Turbo Force, Ultra Cut, and Velocity and I can tell you from experience the Turbo Force shares absolutely no wet discharge traits of the Velocity. It starts throwing huge clumps at the mere mention of moisture.
Setting has a lot to do with that. The new models are real good compared to barely adequate from even a few years ago. I haven't gone to measure and compare, but a noticeable difference is the spindle mount changed. I personally put 3 days of wet lawns through a turbo force this week and my guys put theirs through ultra cuts and turbos, and the only ones that were an issue were the only 3 lawns I have allowed to do their own fert with Scott's. Sure double cutting and some blowing the rest, but no real issues. Some single cutting too, but none of mine could have been any better with any other mower. For reference though we are talking all standers and wb's. We did away with riders a few years ago because of weight issues, compaction, etc. The right mower with the right operator produces just as much as any 60 rider ever did, at nearly half the expense and half the issues.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
For reference though we are talking all standers and wb's. We did away with riders a few years ago because of weight issues, compaction, etc. The right mower with the right operator produces just as much as any 60 rider ever did, at nearly half the expense and half the issues.
Well if all I cut were medium to small residential yards, I'd agree with you and I guess I'd still be all Exmark and Toro because I do believe the Exmark hydro WB's are the best money can buy. But I have large estates to maintain with vast wide open areas that can only be maintained with riders. That's without question. And for that, I feel the choice is the Turf Tiger.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant11 View Post
Exmark dominates the competition in northern Kentucky. All you see is trailers loaded with lazer z's and turf tracers. I love my 52" turf tracer- it cuts better than my deere or my bobcat.
Just out of curiosity- What mowers cut well in wet conditions? My turf tracer makes my yards look awful when the grass is wet

My walker MBV with a ml42A mulch deck will outperform any mower in wet grass. smooth cut , no clumps.
Walker MT 26 EFI GHS
Walker MBV
Exmark Commercial 30
Exmark Commercial 21 AS
Exmark Metro 26
Echo Stuff:
PAS 280 w/shears,edger/trimmer/powerpruner/brush blade
PE280 edger
SRM-280T, SRM 230
HC 150 Shears
CS370 chain saw
Stihl MS290 Farm Boss
Echo PB 770T blower
Redmax EBZ8500 blower
Shindaiwa M242 w/ pole shears and trimmer head
Billy Goat F902S blower and KV600 VAC
Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

i used to run 'belly" ztrs. i have two walkers now. the ghs, well NO midmount can cut as good as it.. i tried them. i have run ztr's from day one along with others..used to be a loyal exmark fan. but now i bleed yellow.

i use the ghs on all my nice stuff(most all my residential and commercial stuff is higher end) . the stripes, smooth cut, no scalping is awesome. clients love this mower. has been pinnacle in pushing my growth because i can layer a nicer cut than any walkbehind or midmount, and its clean. i save tons of clean up time after pruning and in leaf season with this bad boy. i cut slopes all day everyday. it has its limits. but not like everyone says..

the mbv , well its a whole different animal. its a faster walker ( hydro gear trans) , in fact i compared it head to to head with my previous 2010 lza lazer, i can cut faster with the walker. it goes places the lazer could only dream of, excellent on hills and slopes ( i have cut 35 degreers with it . sticks like glue) . eliminates having a 36 or 48 walkbehind. has a gear drive 42" mulch deck..i have never seen any other mower in my thousands of hours mowing handle wet grass like it does. up to 4-6 inches of growth it kills it no clumps. the other manufacturers to me fail in the design of closing the blades off in to individual chambers..air man, air!! wet grass and an exmark with a mulch kit..sucks..period. scag's a little better..not much. that's where the walker guys nailed it. gear drive deck doesnt slip and i have 'tested the limits of hitting objects with it.. i will say it will take more than my old lazer and the shear pins and bolts are the ticket".. berms and hills are a non issue. at 800 lbs its light and nimber, doesnt rut. want a side discharge deck for it for the ' insane stuff'.. still cuts like a walker. to me walkbehinds and midmounts are a waste..inefficient.. and i have the BABY of the mb's. i have mowed with the mbs 29 efi (a.k.a super bee) and head to head with a z series lazer, i'll take the walker anyday. i am glad people hate on walkers and dont know about the mb's. keeps me growing.

by switching to walker i have doubled the size of my company on the same man power and can give better quality than ever before, and better than most of my competition, by far.
Walker MT 26 EFI GHS
Walker MBV
Exmark Commercial 30
Exmark Commercial 21 AS
Exmark Metro 26
Echo Stuff:
PAS 280 w/shears,edger/trimmer/powerpruner/brush blade
PE280 edger
SRM-280T, SRM 230
HC 150 Shears
CS370 chain saw
Stihl MS290 Farm Boss
Echo PB 770T blower
Redmax EBZ8500 blower
Shindaiwa M242 w/ pole shears and trimmer head
Billy Goat F902S blower and KV600 VAC

Last edited by mowzilla; 05-26-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
What a joke bucklawn. Scag is hands down the best. Why do you think their slogan is "simply the best?" I'll take a at and mow through dew in one cut and rainy days without a clump, but I can look at a property and tell where an exmark has been. Especially when there are stripes within a stripe (Hispanics) mowing a property. Obviously there are much better cuts from them, but more often than not I see the guys who can't set up their decks properly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Any day you want to line up orange vs. red and see which one leaves a better cut/stripe lets do it. Snow, rain, tornado, sunny you pick the conditions...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhigh View Post
Any day you want to line up orange vs. red and see which one leaves a better cut/stripe lets do it. Snow, rain, tornado, sunny you pick the conditions...
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL I want see the race in the snow
Old 05-26-2013, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
LOL I want see the race in the snow
I'll bring the snow tires and put the 6.6L on
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am a tall guy and I hate the way you sit on the mower its like I'm laying down.
Ones I seen has to double cut there lawns to get a clean cut or needs to double cut.
I mow one and a guy mows lawn next door. One day we showed up same time. My Lawn is a acre bigger then his.
I mow and trimmed and loaded. He was still mowing. He was double cutting it. That day both of us was running 3 man crew. You could tell sidexside I knew he was going double cut it.
He may not sharpen his blade everyday has I do I don't know.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Well if all I cut were medium to small residential yards, I'd agree with you and I guess I'd still be all Exmark and Toro because I do believe the Exmark hydro WB's are the best money can buy. But I have large estates to maintain with vast wide open areas that can only be maintained with riders. That's without question. And for that, I feel the choice is the Turf Tiger.
Size is all perception. Out largest is a hair over an acre, most are around 20k, some are 3-5k or multiple areas of that size. Our largest run is maybe 200ft. Now there are lawns in this area like a local monestary that has a front lawn that runs what has to be over a half mile maybe a full one, but because it's up on a hill you can see all of it from the road. For that alone I would run a TT. The guy that cuts it has been doing it for ever. When he checkers it it plays tricks with the eyes.