Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We run Scags but Badboys have kinda got my attention for features vs pricing. I think if I were in your shoes I would give them a serious look. If you compare components, they are equal to, or better than many higher priced mowers. I will also tell you that Scags have some of the best cutting decks and work well in many conditions. Ferris is said to be the most comfotable mower and the ICD deck has good reviews on here. Ferris' are kinda expensive but they might be worth it if comfort is important to you. If someone else is running the mowers for you I would definitely lean towards Badboys due to pricing. Since you have a large dealer that carries many brands just demo as many as you can. As far as engine, I wouldn't go below 29-30 hp for a 72" deck.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino

Last edited by Blade Runners; 05-22-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you wanna be cheap, like you are sounding, then that's what you are gonna get, I run scag and wouldn't go with anything else except an exmark. I have a 61" scag cheetah with a 34hp cheetah and i wish i would have went with a 61" turf tiger with cat turbo diesel, the fuel savings would have been enough to pay for the diesel option in a few short years, by using off road diesel. and yes 27 hp is underpowered for a 72" mower, i would go with the exmark, you say are getting an " equine discount" and think exmark mowers are expensive, but yet you probably have a 20,000 dollar horse trailer, and probably over 100,000 dollars in horses if not a million even. if you want a cheap mower, buy a bad boy mower or some of the other POS mowers you listed. if you want a nice mower that will last, and give you a nice quality cut buy an exmark or scag. end of story....or call a local landscape company sounds like you are ready to own a commercial zero turn mower. sounds like you need to just keep using your antique equipment and save your money.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow Thats Alot Of Feelings there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNANUT View Post
Wow Thats Alot Of Feelings there.
Posted via Mobile Device
well that's the truth, you get what you pay for...if you have a 15 acre lawn at your horse farm from the sounds of its probably worth a few million, and if you have a few million dollar horse farm or stables then you probably have a very successful business or had one that you sold for a lot of money and this is your "hobby" or new venture, and can probably afford to drop a measly 10-12,000 on a mower, or 20-25,000 on two new mowers, or if you don't wanna spend your money, finance them for a while, they are handing out loans at 0% for 6 months to a year. It's not the same price as cash, but you get to keep your money in the bank, and you can write off mowers as an expense for you horse farm or whatever you have anyways, so you can save on taxes. so there is a benefit to spending more money.....better quality and less you have to pay to uncle sam. so buy a nice machine that will last and is easy to work on, like an exmark or scag. also with an exmark or scag, you don't have to work on them, they are built so durable they really don't break. my last mower was scag tiger cub, 48" deck 19hp kawasaki, i bought in brand new in 2005 at 16 years old, i financed it, with my parents co-signing, i used that mower up until 2012 and it had 985 hours on it when i traded it in, and i had to replace both front wheels, well actually if was cheap about it i could have just had the both wheels filled with foam or tubes put in, but i don't do things half ass, so i replaced both front wheels with new ones that had solid rubber tires so i would never have the possibility of getting a flat ever. as a matter of fact i even cut my lawns with one of tires off the bead for 3 or 4 weeks, i like to procrastinate as well. but when i get around to fixing something its done so it won't happen again at all cost. and i had to change the cutter deck belt every 250 hours, which is extremely easy, also i had to swap out the pto switch which engages the blades. and that's all the work i had to do in 985 hours, oh a idler pulley went bad somewhere along the lines but i let the dealer swap it for 20 dollars in labor.

Last edited by RSK Property Maintenance; 05-22-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the above...your mowing a lot of ground! Diesel is meant for hard work and longevity doing that hard work. If you want to buy an under powered machine or two or three for that matter, then by all means be my guest. But buyers remorse is a *****.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

With that much land i would totally buy a diesel. Most people estimate about half as much fuel used as a similar gasoline mower. You won't ever have to replace the engine if you take care of it. No worries about ethanol sitting in a carb, no paying road taxes for the fuel used (offroad died diesel)

Life it too short to use old junk, so go diesel and live it up.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I Have A Diesel Jacobsen Turf Cat 72", Nice Mower, Will Keep It As A Backup And For Heavy stuff. A Diesel Is About 4 K More Upfront Cost. You Need To Burn A Lot Of Gas To Get That Back, Probably Start Making Sense Around 1K Hours Per Year,And About 2-3 years. I Love Diesels But For What I Do years100 - 200 Hours A Year It Makes No Sense. I'll Pockrt The Cash, Birn The Gas, Replace An Engine Of Need Be, And Buy New MoweR In 20 Years OR So.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I would listen to Retro as he is the largest Bad Boy dealer in the US lol. If he says more HP for the 72" I would do it!!!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

ActIally I Am Leaning 5000 Series Toro With A 72" , Bit The Hustler 60" IOne Looked Pretty Nice As Well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Well it took a year, and I bought the Toro... cuts everything I have thrown at it. 72 inch deck fits everywhere my 50 or 60 could on my property. Very happy thus far. Love the commercial deck... wow. Left my 3 acre field in various lengths intentionally, cut all without complaint. Long, moist, no problem. My total mowing time went from 3 hours+ to 1.5 hours flat with less trimming. It will probably wear off, but I am having so much fun, I can't believe people get paid to ride these ZTRs. Mind you one 8 hr day I would change my tune, but I am having fun. Turboforce deck seems great, clippings disappear, I also sucked a paper plate in on the trim side from maybe 4 or 5 inches out... very cool. Striping looks good on my field with no roller, and the grass is a not so great mix of everything. I am impressed, and very satisfied thus far.
Posted via Mobile Device