Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took have been eyeing the terrastar. The 6.4 scares me though. Lots of forums have said all the problems came from the junk that ford did to the engine to put them in their trucks. Those of which international didn't do. Don't know how much truth to all that. Not a all out gear head like a lot of guys. I did like what I saw on the terrastar. Frame and build of truck seemed to be much more beefier than that of ford and dodge. Cab was very spacious and no frills (on the entry level trim) vinyl bench seats (crew) and rubber floors. Plenty of space for 6 guys. Still not 100% sold on it yet. Keep me posted. I am needing one for my install crew. Probably going to go with a landscape dump body on it when I do go that way. How about you? Flatbed? Dump?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Im concerned about the motor also. it will also have a lighter payload because the truck ways more. I would get a 12 foot landscape body with a removable chip lid. we do quite a bit of tree work.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bck View Post
Im concerned about the motor also. it will also have a lighter payload because the truck ways more. I would get a 12 foot landscape body with a removable chip lid. we do quite a bit of tree work.
Sounds like a plan. I try and avoid the tree work. Too much competition in my area. Landscaping, Irrigation and lawncare are our bread and butter. Water features and hardscapes go along with our landscaping end.

If we did a terrastar, I am thinking a bed like this.
http://www.kaffenbarger.com/index.php?productID=1088

Will also look at a switch n go. If I can afford it, I'll go that way.

Or maybe a masonry drop side dump. (However, hauling plant material with just a 2' side would be difficult. I would prefer the 40" side for that. And by that, I mean by not making my mind up and getting a few different bodies.

Now that I can't make up my mind, switch and go, might be the only way I can make my mind up.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My ram 4500s can hold 7,000 pounds legally and only have 16,000 gvw the ram 5500 can hold close to 11,000 pounds. Nothing but praise for my rams so I know what Id get if I wanted to go up in weight.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
My ram 4500s can hold 7,000 pounds legally and only have 16,000 gvw the ram 5500 can hold close to 11,000 pounds. Nothing but praise for my rams so I know what Id get if I wanted to go up in weight.
Kelly's, do you know why the GCVW is so much higher on the 3500's than the 4500's and even the 5500's??? Thought that was weird. Ram shows a GCVW on a 3500 of 37,600 lbs. And a GCVW of 28,000 lbs?

Looked at your thread with the sideboards. Ram looks good. Like it a lot.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasProscapesLLC View Post
Kelly's, do you know why the GCVW is so much higher on the 3500's than the 4500's and even the 5500's??? Thought that was weird. Ram shows a GCVW on a 3500 of 37,600 lbs. And a GCVW of 28,000 lbs?

Looked at your thread with the sideboards. Ram looks good. Like it a lot.
I do not know that info. It could be that the 3500s had more torque. The year I got my first truck I had like 620 pounds where as the 3500s were advertizing 800 pounds. Not sure how they did it but for us we never tow much more then 7000 pounds we wanted the ability to haul a heavier load in the truck not behind it. Like when I am doing seeding jobs it is nice to have 3-4 yards of top soil with you.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I do not know that info. It could be that the 3500s had more torque. The year I got my first truck I had like 620 pounds where as the 3500s were advertizing 800 pounds. Not sure how they did it but for us we never tow much more then 7000 pounds we wanted the ability to haul a heavier load in the truck not behind it. Like when I am doing seeding jobs it is nice to have 3-4 yards of top soil with you.
Hear you there.

Are y'all doing CDLs? Sounds like you are watching your weight and staying underneath DOT's jurisdiction. I hearr that's the way to go if it works for you.

Mowing crew showed me their slick tires today. Makes me want to go to cab and chassis with mowing body every time something like that happens or I see a light out. Trailers drive me nuts. I've used them since I was mowing in high school, but they are a nuisance. I think after I get one for landscape crew. I will look to get one for mowing crew. We can utilize the F250 we have as an irrigation truck. Already some damage on the factory bed. Figured I could put a utility bed and pipe rack on it for fittings etc. My 1/2 ton crew cab with side boxes is just not enough space for all the fitting inventory, parts and tools we need for irrigation repairs. (Might add I try to only keep tools that will fit under the rear seats in truck. Don't wanna loose the ability to use my crew cab for the family.) End up dragging a cargo trailer everywhere. I like the trailer on installations where we are there multiple days. We pull in park and lock it down and store everything in it every night we are on the job. That works great. Not making service calls. Also cargo won't carry 20' stick of pipe. It's only 12'.

Always something in this business I guess. Just takes a little money.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 4500/5500s are likely to be detuned for longer engine life, so hence the lower GCWR. Ram probably knows that very few 3500 owners will move anywhere near 37K in commercial use so duty cycle is less of a concern.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
The 4500/5500s are likely to be detuned for longer engine life, so hence the lower GCWR. Ram probably knows that very few 3500 owners will move anywhere near 37K in commercial use so duty cycle is less of a concern.
Makes sense. Thanks for the insight.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info! Just checked out your website, looks like you have a whole fleet of rams, nice. If I do a truck this year it will probably be a ram 5500, if I can find a deal. Who did you buy your trucks from. Im over in Easton.