Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

weed control for centimudahia

I have lawn that needs weeds treated but not sure what herbicide would be best. In case you don't know what centimudahia is, it's 3 grasses blended together Centipede, bermuda and bahia, and each grass can be harmed by certain herbicides.. Hard to say which grass is most dominant. Different areas are dominated by each grass type which is why it makes it a hard decision.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
I have lawn that needs weeds treated but not sure what herbicide would be best. In case you don't know what centimudahia is, it's 3 grasses blended together Centipede, bermuda and bahia, and each grass can be harmed by certain herbicides.. Hard to say which grass is most dominant. Different areas are dominated by each grass type which is why it makes it a hard decision.

Any suggestions?
If that was my lawn, i would begin treatments for broadleaf weeds with metsulfuron methyl at .5 oz/ acre which will also damage/kill the Bahia(could also stress the Centipede) Then i would overseed with Bermuda grass seed and promote that as the dominant turf species.

We do this to a lot of St Augustine lawns in full sun that have been damaged by chinch bugs, drought, etc. Crabgrass, Bahia Bermuda and other weeds quickly fill the void.The new client doesnt want the expense of resodding so we overseed with Bermuda, start the lawn on our program, and eventually the lawn will convert to a mostly Bermuda turf .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like I seem to get all the customers around with that particular turf type It's tough to deal with especially the mix of centipede and bahia - Celsius is fine for the centipede but will harm the bahia. That's a tough one unless like the other poster recommended to sacrifice at least one grass type for the good of the others.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Centipede and bahia tells me that the soil is not alkaline. There is also enough rain in the area. It also tells me that the lawn is mowed with a rotary mower. I would convert to all centipede. Metsulfuron is really good for broadleaves in centipede and bermuda. The beginning of this process would be to eliminate or suppress the bahia with selective herbicides. Mowing at the right height and not applying a bermuda favorable fertilizer program is next. The remaining bermuda and bahia may be removed with Sethoxydim. Mixed lawns are a maintenance hassle unless the grass is in a clearly defined area for a specific reason. Getting the mowing right is hard unless you are doing the mowing. Unless the client is willing to pay for killing out areas and re sodding, this will take more than one season. Really think about how this lawn has been mowed, fertilized, etc. Messes like this are no accident.

I am dealing with a centipede lawn right now that was a mix of tropical weed grasses, centipede and bermuda. How it got there was improper fertilization, lack of water, and horrible mowing. It already got treated with Celsius, Image, and Quicksilver. It has been on my centipede specific fertilizer program for the past 3 months. Current stage is removal of the bermuda with Sethoxydim. Since there is irrigation, client is willing to re seed areas that are going to be wiped out with Sethoxydim. The newly seeded areas will be treated with Tenacity.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the lawns around here that do not irrigate turn out like this. Fortunately this one has an irrigation system although has not been used, so I am able to do more. I think I will use Celsius and sacrifice the Bahia. Thanks for replies!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Same issue here green doctor.

I too have a bermuda/centipede at a ratio of 30%bermuda/70%centipede. What fertilizer and fertilization schedule would you suggest?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post

Any suggestions?
Why don't you do the smart thing and ask the customer what type of grass they want in their yard and treat accordingly.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnagain View Post
Why don't you do the smart thing and ask the customer what type of grass they want in their yard and treat accordingly.
Good idea. I educate the client about the pluses and minuses of each grass. I also try to figure out which one is in the majority and why that is. Bermuda is not suggested unless there is a commitment to maintain it better than a pasture. Most people and their mowing service are not willing to do that.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Centipede and bahia tells me that the soil is not alkaline. There is also enough rain in the area. It also tells me that the lawn is mowed with a rotary mower. I would convert to all centipede. Metsulfuron is really good for broadleaves in centipede and bermuda. The beginning of this process would be to eliminate or suppress the bahia with selective herbicides. Mowing at the right height and not applying a bermuda favorable fertilizer program is next. The remaining bermuda and bahia may be removed with Sethoxydim. Mixed lawns are a maintenance hassle unless the grass is in a clearly defined area for a specific reason. Getting the mowing right is hard unless you are doing the mowing. Unless the client is willing to pay for killing out areas and re sodding, this will take more than one season. Really think about how this lawn has been mowed, fertilized, etc. Messes like this are no accident.

I am dealing with a centipede lawn right now that was a mix of tropical weed grasses, centipede and bermuda. How it got there was improper fertilization, lack of water, and horrible mowing. It already got treated with Celsius, Image, and Quicksilver. It has been on my centipede specific fertilizer program for the past 3 months. Current stage is removal of the bermuda with Sethoxydim. Since there is irrigation, client is willing to re seed areas that are going to be wiped out with Sethoxydim. The newly seeded areas will be treated with Tenacity.
GD,
What are your experiences with Tenacity in St Aug? I need to knock some nimblewill in a St Aug lawn and Tenacity is the only product I have found that is labeled for this. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have not tried it yet. Understand that all of the grass I deal with is mowed, watered and fertilized to optimum health. Bad mowing practices, starvation, or depending on rain to do things does not pass with me.