Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
By the yard is more profitable than hourly.
Not necessarily
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
it's best to charge a flat fee per yard of mulch vs. per hour. My guys can blow through 2-3 yds of mulch in an hour. More profitable to charge flat fee
Posted via Mobile Device
Not necessarily
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive been bidding every job individually for the last 8 years and then I noticed a pattern. Most mulch jobs are ending up being $100 a yard installed, pruning edging everything. Some places it wont work if they have a ridiculous amount of shrubs or edging but, I just did an 80 yard job for $8,400 and a 4 Yd job for $480 & everything inbetween. (I always add on for delivery and dump fee. We make money on jobs like this and its easy to calculate. I get mulch for $20 a yard (dyed / regular, cypress is more). Hourly would all depend on how many people u have working onsite. Hope this helps, Good luck!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

for a job I just did...mulch already delivered. 13 yards of mulch and 350 ft hand edged and cleaned up. The whole job took 8 hours(including waiting, a trip for drinks, and some small breaks)

the mulch total alone was 455(a little lower due to being an elderly friend of my mothers) so even at the 8 hour rate it was 57 an hour. The actual total for JUST the mulching time would be higher than that.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakenShovel View Post
for a job I just did...mulch already delivered. 13 yards of mulch and 350 ft hand edged and cleaned up. The whole job took 8 hours(including waiting, a trip for drinks, and some small breaks)

the mulch total alone was 455(a little lower due to being an elderly friend of my mothers) so even at the 8 hour rate it was 57 an hour. The actual total for JUST the mulching time would be higher than that.
How many guys are on your crew and how much are you paying/charging for a yard of mulch? Im all about making $ but damn. If your charging $35 a yard of mulch $57 an hour then good for you! Im sure different rates apply for different demographics and areas.
I work for mostly high end residential and we make money and get referrals with our pricing so to all others, Dont let it sway you. (also use it as a ballpark. someone wants a price quick you can always OVER estimate to be safe. Of course you should measure as well! Eyeballs get you close but its easy to miss something. )
You want to maximize your profit but at the same time you want them to feel good about the price they pay so they come back and tell a friend as well. Word of mouth has brougt me from working by myself to having two crews running and I am VERY happy with that. If your small like me this formula works. If your a large company with high overhead... It Probably wont work. Good luck to all! Merica!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i'm not quite sure what all of you are talking about. he asked how much to put mulch down per hr. labor only. not including the price of the mulch.

i charge for the mulch by the yard as well as charge by the hr on top of that to put it down.

i can get a yard of mulch for $25. so i'll charge something like $75 for 2 yards of mulch (price to buy it plus going to pickup and delivery to the site) and then $50 labor for an hr to put it down. $125 total.
ouch around here, for 2 yards of mulch people are paying 250-400 delivered and installed and the mulch could cost anywhere from 22 dollars a yard to 31 for 100% hemlock.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon Jay View Post
How many guys are on your crew and how much are you paying/charging for a yard of mulch? Im all about making $ but damn. If your charging $35 a yard of mulch $57 an hour then good for you! Im sure different rates apply for different demographics and areas.
I work for mostly high end residential and we make money and get referrals with our pricing so to all others, Dont let it sway you. (also use it as a ballpark. someone wants a price quick you can always OVER estimate to be safe. Of course you should measure as well! Eyeballs get you close but its easy to miss something. )
You want to maximize your profit but at the same time you want them to feel good about the price they pay so they come back and tell a friend as well. Word of mouth has brougt me from working by myself to having two crews running and I am VERY happy with that. If your small like me this formula works. If your a large company with high overhead... It Probably wont work. Good luck to all! Merica!

Just a two man crew. The client has actually contacted me twice more to tell me about how happy she is with the work and how beautiful it is. We far exceeded her expectations and also have two more referral jobs from her word of mouth
Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakenShovel

the mulch total alone was 455(a little lower due to being an elderly friend of my mothers) so even at the 8 hour rate it was 57 an hour. The actual total for JUST the mulching time would be higher than that. ""
2 guys at $57 x 8 hrs =$912 + $455 mulch = $1,367. Am I missing something here? ($100 yd plus delivery formula for me would be $1,380 @ 13 yards)

Great job RakenShovel Im glad they were happy. Was not a stab at you with the rest of my post. more informational (at least my opinion) for someone who may be looking for help. Your keeping more of the $ than me! Well done!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon Jay View Post
2 guys at $57 x 8 hrs =$912 + $455 mulch = $1,367. Am I missing something here? ($100 yd plus delivery formula for me would be $1,380 @ 13 yards)

Great job RakenShovel Im glad they were happy. Was not a stab at you with the rest of my post. more informational (at least my opinion) for someone who may be looking for help. Your keeping more of the $ than me! Well done!
the 455 for mulch was just for installation...the client paid for and had the mulch delivered herself. I had no expense or charges for that. the whole job totaled 700(455 for mulch installation plus some shrub removal and the edging) with a 60/40 split of pay. The only out of pocket expense I had on this job was gas for the truck. the total of 420(my share) actually came out to 52.50 an hour..I dunno where the 7 came from earlier..mistake on my part, there.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakenShovel View Post
the whole job totaled 700(455 for mulch installation plus some shrub removal and the edging) with a 60/40 split of pay. The only out of pocket expense I had on this job was gas for the truck. the total of 420(my share) actually came out to 52.50 an hour..I dunno where the 7 came from earlier..mistake on my part, there.
$700 / 16 MH's is $43.75 PMH

The ONLY expense you have is gas? No other operating expenses, and your truck/equipment landed on your doorstep one day?

$44 for labor is still a good rate.