Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Lost three this year. Each situation was totally different and was treated differently.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that each situation would be different but I also agree my relationship was with the deceased. I think I would be more inclined to send flowers if a customer lost a parent, child or spouse because the person I knew was still alive and suffered a loss.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I truly believe that, if they where a long time customer, give them one free cutting during this hard time.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonpw View Post
I truly believe that, if they where a long time customer, give them one free cutting during this hard time.
One for the road?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=OakNut;4778084]I arrived at a client's home one morning to find a few police cars parked outside. As I approached, I heard people talking on the back porch and then saw that it was a uniformed officer and what I assume was a detective.

Long story short, friends from work were concerned when she didn't show up, or call in sick. They came to check on her and found her deceased.

Heck of a way to start the week. Was a good customer too.

Almost same thing happen to me except the old man commited suicide at 4am and I was there at 8am. Wife came out and told me, weird part is friends and family was out front and none of them even came to the curb. My helper and I was just about to get started when she came out. Man that was hard day!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
One for the road?

I will take two, thank you!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i had two customers pass away on me from the fall until the spring, the family just called me and said to continue mowing and to bill them at the end of the month, they said the yard still needs maintaining...so i still maintain it. it was said to see these two go, they were both very nice lady's but they seemed to live pretty decent life's very full too, both were still driving and doing everything, so i would say thats not too bad considering they were push 85-90
Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Many years ago in the late 80's was taking care of a yard and the ole man and women living there was like my grandparents. They would always bring something to drink and eat when I showed up to mow. The ole man passed away and about a week goes by and I get a call from their lawyer.
The lady was going to move in with her daughter and they wanted the yard still taken care of until the house sells and he also wanted me to show up at the reading of the will. At the reading I was given all the ole man tools. To this day I have several things that came from ole man McCloud.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

2-4 a year most years pass for us and I have been doing this for 11 years on my own and 15 before that so as you can see that number is quite large.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I had one pass away last year. Prior to her passing, her son, who was visiting, approached me one day when I was mowing and advised me she was being moved to a hospice care center. He told me to please continue servicing the property and gave his contact info for the bill to be sent to. After her passing he contacted me and asked me to continue the servicing until the home sold. He even paid me in advance, which I told him wasn't necessary, but he insisted. he said that I was doing a much better job of taking care of the lawn than the previous guy which he and his mom had appreciated greatly.

After she passed I would see him at the home every so often cleaning things out and checking up on the property. I always took the time to talk to him to see how he was doing. Some people can always use an extra set of ears to listen to their problems.