Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I can tell you don't know what hydro mulch is

There are 3 different kinds
None I seen and used or has cardboard in it, Paper , Slick paper, Wood Fiber

Hydro seeding isn't best thing to do when temps are cool. Its was a USDA thing bare dirt had to be cover with Hydro mulch No straw and No Compost
You are right there are three main kinds of hydromulch used for residentail and cardboard is not used. I did hear ages ago that one company was using cardboard and calling it wood mulch but only once and that was a decade ago.

The main hydroseeding mulches are made from (1) chopped up newspaper which is very similar to blown in insulation except it has the dye and an anti foaming agent rather than the fire ******ant (2) Mulch made from wood byproducts which has fibers up to 1 1/8" long. (3) A blend of the two which may be 50-50, 70-30, or up to 90-10 with the wood being the bigger number when there is one. There are also hydro seeding mulches made from cotton, from corn and from straw that have various degrees of popularity. (personally I don't like them). Then you have pourable mulches such as Jet Spray which is pelletized. No one uses cardboard today. Of course for erosion control jobs there are other options such as BFM's (Bonded Fiber matrix) and FGM's (Flexible growth Media) which are like wood mulches on steroids.

I don't find hydroseeding to be a problem in colder weather. Wood mulches and blends are better in very hot weather and on steep slopes. Paper works fine for most jobs in most areas.

I just completed my 28th hydro seeding job for the year yesterday since starting for the year on 4/15. I have been in the hydroseeding industry for 22 years. My own honest opinion trying to be as unbiased as I can is that hydroseeding is far superior to dry seeding and straw. I have hydroseeded lots of jobs with success that were seeded and strawed and failed. I do think seeding and top dressing with compost is equal to hydroseeding, of course it is a lot more work as well but a good way to go.

* Just noticed the forum software edited a word which was re tar dant I guess you guys have been calling each other names so the sofware doesn't like re tard

Last edited by Turboguy; 05-27-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snyder,,,
I'll see what I can do... I need a new camera in that the batteries keep dying in the one I use now...

I thought a great pix would be the excellent turf I have in the forestlawn and then photo the canopy directly overhead...

I don't want a business name and I don't need a business name, all I need is the state sales tax number and I'm good to go...
Number of clients is not a relevant issue,,, when the fact of full-time/part-time maybe be an issue... I'm not part of of Hotdog Boys who like to brag about how many lawns they do... My wife and I tend an exclusive neighborhood that keeps us going with as much work as we can handle...
Besides I'm already getting too old to push hard enough to keep up with what I got and am narrowing my focus on the parts of the job I find enjoyable...
I make sure that what I do,,, I do well... I have little respect for a number of people in our area that 'Mow,Blow&Go" when I see the results of their activities... barren and browned out lawns are quite common in the July 4th holiday period,,, yet we have Pros all over town raising dust storms, becuz they 'have a contract'... I don't go bigger,,, I go better...

Last edited by Smallaxe; 05-27-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Snyder,,,
I'll see what I can do... I need a new camera in that the batteries keep dying in the one I use now...

I thought a great pix would be the excellent turf I have in the forestlawn and then photo the canopy directly overhead...

I don't want a business name and I don't need a business name, all I need is the state sales tax number and I'm good to go...
Number of clients is not a relevant issue,,, when the fact of full-time/part-time maybe be an issue... I'm not part of of Hotdog Boys who like to brag about how many lawns they do... My wife and I tend an exclusive neighborhood that keeps us going with as much work as we can handle...
Besides I'm already getting too old to push hard enough to keep up with what I got and am narrowing my focus on the parts of the job I find enjoyable...
I make sure that what I do,,, I do well... I have little respect for a number of people in our area that 'Mow,Blow&Go" when I see the results of their activities... barren and browned out lawns are quite common in the July 4th holiday period,,, yet we have Pros all over town raising dust storms, becuz they 'have a contract'... I don't go bigger,,, I go better...
I didn't want you to brag on how many you have I just ask how many you have and its a simple Question
Don't worry about posting photos I figure you out Good luck
Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
You are right there are three main kinds of hydromulch used for residentail and cardboard is not used. I did hear ages ago that one company was using cardboard and calling it wood mulch but only once and that was a decade ago.

The main hydroseeding mulches are made from (1) chopped up newspaper which is very similar to blown in insulation except it has the dye and an anti foaming agent rather than the fire ******ant (2) Mulch made from wood byproducts which has fibers up to 1 1/8" long. (3) A blend of the two which may be 50-50, 70-30, or up to 90-10 with the wood being the bigger number when there is one. There are also hydro seeding mulches made from cotton, from corn and from straw that have various degrees of popularity. (personally I don't like them). Then you have pourable mulches such as Jet Spray which is pelletized. No one uses cardboard today. Of course for erosion control jobs there are other options such as BFM's (Bonded Fiber matrix) and FGM's (Flexible growth Media) which are like wood mulches on steroids.

I don't find hydroseeding to be a problem in colder weather. Wood mulches and blends are better in very hot weather and on steep slopes. Paper works fine for most jobs in most areas.

I just completed my 28th hydro seeding job for the year yesterday since starting for the year on 4/15. I have been in the hydroseeding industry for 22 years. My own honest opinion trying to be as unbiased as I can is that hydroseeding is far superior to dry seeding and straw. I have hydroseeded lots of jobs with success that were seeded and strawed and failed. I do think seeding and top dressing with compost is equal to hydroseeding, of course it is a lot more work as well but a good way to go.
I been hydro seeding since 1995 I have it as a option
O yes agree
Dry seed /Straw - Good /Cheaper
Hydro seed Better / cheaper then sod
Sod Best/ ouch
Old 05-27-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I can tell you don't know what hydro mulch is

There are 3 different kinds
None I seen and used or has cardboard in it, Paper , Slick paper, Wood Fiber

Hydro seeding isn't best thing to do when temps are cool. Its was a USDA thing bare dirt had to be cover with Hydro mulch No straw and No Compost

I had Straw covered lawns I did last fall and they are green and didn't wash or blow away. So what's your point.

I like hear some info about yourself
How many New Lawns do you install each year?
What is the biggest lawn you installed?
You have any photos Before and after?

Here pic of my one of mine I did this spring 14 days after The pic is of the back lawn I took it when, I was fixing the lawn next door, of a water problem.
Here is the same lawn at 22 days old
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great photo. Thanks for posting it. I agree with everything you said about seed/straw being good, hydroseeding better and sod the best. Of course an excellent straw job will be better than a poor hydroseeding job so it is good for anyone seeding to know what they are doing. You have been at it a long time and I am sure however you seed a lawn the chances of it turning out well are very good. Even sod is not perfect. I have seen lots of sod jobs that failed so I would include sod in what I said about knowing what someone is doing.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And... I have seen poa annua in sod. Even grubs at times.
Rust, dollarspot, and necrotic ring spot can happen.
Top-quality sod looks nice. (If installed properly.)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
Great photo. Thanks for posting it. I agree with everything you said about seed/straw being good, hydroseeding better and sod the best. Of course an excellent straw job will be better than a poor hydroseeding job so it is good for anyone seeding to know what they are doing. You have been at it a long time and I am sure however you seed a lawn the chances of it turning out well are very good. Even sod is not perfect. I have seen lots of sod jobs that failed so I would include sod in what I said about knowing what someone is doing.
I agree
When I bought the Finn Hydro Seeder I learned really fast first job was 5 acres around a food plant and it was a USDA thing no straw and the contactor didn't have the budget for sod. Came up so thick and there sprinkler system broke one weekend all 5 acres got a fungus wipe it out . And they hired me again do it all over again,
I use my hydro seeder to glue my straw down more then anything. At the same seeding job there was Seed/Straw areas I blowed 7,000 sq bales of straw and glued all the straw
Old 05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I agree I bought some last yr late in the season and everybody I normally buy from was out of Turf Fescue
So bought some from new sod farm each roll was full of grubs. I applied grub control after I laid it
Old 05-28-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Necrotic Ring Spot, heck yes happens a lot on shipped in sod around here, which is laid over the top of hardpan clay in new developments.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13