Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

OK White G and Dboyd - I'll take your suggestions under advisement :-)

In the meantime have done a bit more work on the deck. Everything is pretty much back on except a couple of mounting brackets and the anti-scalp wheels and rollers. Have new rollers and wheels on order as they were pretty cheap. The deck and the mower are now within hailing distance!
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Wheel Barrow looks like it's seen some work!!!

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Yayyy!!! My anti-scalp wheels and rollers finally arrived! The deck is now complete! Started to hang it tonight!
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That sure looks purty!
I'd like to see the grin on your face when you make the first cut with that resurrected mower!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, here is where I am. The mower is basically all together including the deck. It is fully functional and cuts grass!!! See last pic. Yes dboyd, I am a happy camper. My wife wanted to take some pictures of me sitting on it but I am now quite there yet. In my original post (12/2/2012) I said: "I want my scag back as close as possible to the way it was before". Before I consider myself done, I have to fix 2 known issues and then do some more testing. Issue 1 is that it creeps in neutral. I know about the adjustment rods but I could not get them to turn. I have had to completely diss-assemble them from the pumps. The ends are seized preventing the rod from turning so it is not possible to adjust them. I have broken the ends loose on one of them and an putting anti-seize compound on them before putting them back. I attribute this to a problem that existing in the donor mower. Issue 2 is that the engine is really hard to start when warm. It starts immediately when cold. Even if it has run for just a minute and you shut it off it is hard to restart. It just cranks and cranks and cranks and eventually fires. The carb and choke and all linkages seem to be OK. Some research that I've done says this condition might mean the valves need adjustment. Since I don't have any history on the donor engine, I don't really know. I think this bears further checking however. I originally had a third issue as well. The engine would throttle up OK and run at full power until you actually started to cut grass. When it was loaded it would not rev up as you might expect. I thought this would end up being a problem with the governor. However, I noticed that when I blipped the throttle the plastic hose connecting the airbox/air filter assembly to the carb would collapse. I took the air filter elements (dual elements) out and re-fit everything (I think the inner element may have come loose). Now it seems to run normally under load. I will do some more testing to ensure that it is really fixed.

So, that is where I am for now. I am not quite done yet, but I'm sure in the end game!! Thanks for all the advise, encouragement, and even the reality checks along the way.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh man, youve/its come such a long way and should be congratulated! I didnt think there was any hope in hell when you first started the thread but wow, have you proved me wrong!
I will say one thing though... Paint the rims! Thats about the only advice I can give! ha
Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

remaining issues

pjm,
I suggest you start another thread in Mechanic and Repair asking for help on your remaining issues. I'm sure RestoRob, Slapper, Dutch, Fish et al. could give you some good pointers on fixing those issues. After all this time they may not be following your thread in detail to notice those problems. You certainly deserve what help they can give you.
Good luck on getting those last few things ironed out!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hello there PJM congrats on your project looking good as far as the little issues
On the creeping could b air in system
Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great Project!! Thanks For posting all of the pics!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank You all for your kind words. I am 98% of the way there. Technically the rebuild is complete. The mower runs and cuts grass. I have cut a couple of acres of my property with it just fine. I am wrestling with 2 residual problems. First is the steering stiffness. The dampers were from the donor mower so I have not history with them. I have ordered a new pair of dampers and am hopeful that will solve problem 1. Problem 2 is that the engine starts great cold but is hard to start after it gets hot. It will run for hours with no issues but if you shut it down and immediately try to restart it will crank find but just not catch. Let it cool off though and it will fire right up. I am going to start a new thread about this because I do not believe it has anything to do with the rebuild but is a problem that existed in the donor engine all along.