Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

MA fertilizer questions

Hi everyone

So I mow a few lawns in central MA on the weekend, I have customers constantly asking about fertilizer and maybe spraying weeds. What I've found on the state website you need a license to apply any pesticide. My question is there a seperate fertilizer license. If there is can anyone point me in the direction of how to obtain information to look into becoming certified/licensed to spread fertilizer. Thanks for your time. Sorry for any typos posting from my phone at work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You may not need a license for simple fertilizer and you'd better contact your state's website and get the details for yourself...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

See the sticky note information from above. Here is the information for every state, right on this site.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=61624
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

The law states any fertilizer or spraying for hire requires a license and liability insurance and you have to put up signs before you apply go to mass pest bureau to get your information also you can use just fert but still have to have a license and liability insurance
Old 05-30-2013, 05:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsrule View Post
Hi everyone

So I mow a few lawns in central MA on the weekend, I have customers constantly asking about fertilizer and maybe spraying weeds. What I've found on the state website you need a license to apply any pesticide. My question is there a seperate fertilizer license. If there is can anyone point me in the direction of how to obtain information to look into becoming certified/licensed to spread fertilizer. Thanks for your time. Sorry for any typos posting from my phone at work.
Posted via Mobile Device
To answer your question, in the commonwealth you don't need a license to fertilize lawns, as MA pesticide bureau doesn't regulate that. However once you put a pesticide in the bag and it gets a EPA reg number on it they do. UMASS handles class training and you need to order the study material from them for your core applicators license
Here is there website. You can pm me if you have any questions
http://www.umass.edu/pested/exam_schedule/index.htm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to look into the core aplicators course and go from there.
Posted via Mobile Device