Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on keeping things till they fall apart... Right now we have 2-'04 Chevy 1 ton duallies, 1 w/duramax and the other w/8.1 gas. We got them a year apart with the gas being a off the lot new purchase. Both of them are 150k+ the gas is starting to get a few nickel and dime problems and I don't plan on getting rid of it as both trucks have a 7.5x9.5 aluminum bed and goose neck mounts. They are solid from a body standpoint, but again, 150k on a gas engine is starting to show some wear.

Maintenance costs are something I would definitely like to know comparing a 1 ton dually to a medium duty truck like a NPR... such as routine maintenance parts. We currently handle everything as much in house as possible (fluids, brakes, tie rods, ball joints, etc...) and could probably do the same on a NPR, but is the cost relative as comparing 1/2 ton truck parts to 1 ton vs. 1 ton to medium duty parts?

Also, being able to drop carrying a trailer and the additional wear/tear that goes along with a 16' landscape tandem w/dual brakes.... although it's very cheap maintenance compared to a vehicle...
Old 05-26-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My nqr has the 4n diesel and gets 12 to 14 mpg with a total weight of 14000 lbs. Annual service runs a little over $300 and right now needs about $600 for front brakes.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bailey I remember you being in WV but can't remember where. I know over here in the sheadoah valley cabovers are hard to find so start looking ASAP. It took me over 6 months to find one. If you are in the northern part o WV it shouldn't be hard at all. I also like the gas versions better because I don't drive that far and can still work on them. Short blocks and trans are pretty cheap to replace compared to the diesels. I'm still in the process of getting mine setup for mowing and landscaping but shouldn't take long once it slows down a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Bailey I remember you being in WV but can't remember where. I know over here in the sheadoah valley cabovers are hard to find so start looking ASAP. It took me over 6 months to find one. If you are in the northern part o WV it shouldn't be hard at all. I also like the gas versions better because I don't drive that far and can still work on them. Short blocks and trans are pretty cheap to replace compared to the diesels. I'm still in the process of getting mine setup for mowing and landscaping but shouldn't take long once it slows down a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm about 5 miles from I-77 right near the WV/VA border, between Princeton/Bluefield. It seems funny, since I've started looking, I've noticed tons of new NPRs popping up around here, from Aaron's rental, Kwick-Kafe, Lowe's, local trash... guess you never really notice some stuff until you start looking.

My thought is (I may be wrong), but that a diesel would give better consistent mileage on the windy roads and mountains. Over the years I've noticed with the GPS we have properties from around 1,500' to over 4,000' in elevation.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea you might be better with a diesel but maybe the inline six. Everyone talks about how the inline 4's are underpowered so going up the mountains may be tough. But for a 60 ztr and 48 wb and 2 21s you really only need a 14ft box. The 6.0 gasser would be a good choice I think. Or whatever you can find a deal on. I don't have any in the mountains so im lucky.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been looking at commercialtrucktrader.com but it seems like they are somewhat limited, especially anything within 500 miles. CL is a waste for the most part too around here.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing
Yea you might be better with a diesel but maybe the inline six.
You can't get an inline six in an N series. The 4 cylinder has around 210 hp/440 torque which isn't too shabby, not as fast as a newer diesel pickup but should get around ok.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

according to the site they have a 3.0 and 5.2.... Is the 5.2 a 4 cyl?

http://www.isuzucv.com/nseries/diesel_trucks
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure the 5.2 is the 4. The six is in like FRR they are 19500 GVW.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We just got rained out, so I'm bored....

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=4384323

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=2675961

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=4298985

No price on the one in Hickory, NC. I see on Isuzu's website they are offering .99 finance on "new" 2011-2014 models, I don't see anything of the length of term tough. It just somewhat sucks that a truck and mower both are going to probably need replaced this year. I know I can make the truck last till next season, but if I can get a heck of a finance rate on one too...