Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum2 View Post
I do either, depending. Generally, I mulch and the mower seems to do that pretty well as long as the grass is not too tall (say 3" or more), or wet. I cut to 2" in the spring and 2.5"-3" in the summer. I would be interested in trying the Turfmaster blades.

I still don't like the lack of power. Even MTD uses a 10.5HP motor (or better) on their wide cut mowers. Commercial mowers usually have at least 13HP. I just feel Toro cheaped out in the engine department in a big way.

GW
Yes by all means get the TurfMaster blades. Roughly $20 per blade from dealers. As of yet I have not found a discount online source...?

There needs to be some clarity from the dealers on the blade differences. Yes they look very similar but the added lift helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
The deck and components would possibly/likely need to be beefier to handle more power...? Then the cost and weight would go up...??
Perhaps, but somehow MTD, Billy Goat, and Ariens (all consumer models, I know) have managed to find a way to put 10-14HP motors on their mowers and still be in the $1500-$1800 range. Neither the Timemaster, Turfmaster, or Exmark "Commercial" 30" have provided this power, yet cost the same (exception is the Timemaster which costs the least of the three as you already know). One might say the Turfmaster/Exmark is built stronger and that is probably true. But all the strength in the world does not matter if the engine is not up to the task of tackling larger jobs that wide cuts are supposed to handle. I think Toro could have, at the very least, put a 10HP B&S motor on the Timemaster, priced it at $1400 and had something much better. They could have done the same with the Turfmaster/Exmark but used a Kawi or Honda and priced that at $1800 and been fine.

GW
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm considering tweaking the throttle governor for higher rpm.

Just wish this mower had an actual throttle....
Quote:
Originally Posted by stansoph View Post
I have Time.aster ho models (4). I haven't had any issues other than a transmission on one at 145 hrs. I run the Turfmastef blades and they make a huge difference. I also turned the engine up to 3600 with the blades engaged. Huge power gain. I like the personal pace a lot, don't knock it till you try it.

I wish Toro would make a dedicated high lift blade but the deck design may limit the decks ability to work with that style blade. Vacuum is pretty lackluster even with the commercial blades. SmLl twigs and maple helicopters are missed more often than I would like.

We mow mostly kbg, p.rye mix at 1.5-2.0" and the qoc is good. When you make an initial low cut the mower will show you that it has two blades, after this the cut is very nice. Much nicer than our Honda hrc's.

In short I can buy 2:1 timemaster over turfmaster, run them till they break and buy a new one.

We bought knowing that it won't handle anymore than a 21' except take a 30" path. Almost all mowers struggle with wet tall grass, it has 6hp not 16.

I will replace them when needed with the same. If I were to get the commercial I would go exmark for the drive controls. Lot of weight difference between the comm and ho machines. The slap under the cowling is the tension plley for the blade engage, the belt is sloppy, adjust the cable under the cowl. It is a non threatening issue forr me as it is only an occasional occurance.

I will try to add later in on my phone. Sorry for mispelled words and such
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Yes by all means get the TurfMaster blades.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into this with my dealer.

GW
Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
I felt like I was trying to read Hebrew when I read this Exact. What is ZDDP? And what is SL? How does Castrol differ from Mobil 1 for example? I'm trying to learn these things and hone my inner mechanic.
If you look at motor oils for motor cycles it will even state service ratings of SG. The older service ratings had more ZDDP and that is a zinc based anti wear additive that helps on metal to metal contact. Modern automotive oil have more friction modifiers that CAN cause issues with wet clutches.

I really like M1 15w-50 and I'm almost out. Walmart quit stocking 5 quart jugs. This flavor of oil in fact has one of the highest ZDDP levels in a SN/SM oil.

I also like the Mobil 1 high Mileage 10w-30 still SL and the 10w-40 this one has changed to SN/SM.

Almost forgot ZDDP levels have been dropped from their glory days in a effort to save catalytic converters. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but ZDDP level were highest in automotive oil when the standard SG and SJ.

Lawnaspire,

Didn't you have a TimeMaster last year...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Exact pm me please.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks 4 the oil breakdown. no pun intended. very imformative. i never owned the timemaster but am obsessed with info about the comm versions as a 30 inch mower with rear bagger could define the future of my business as i am leaning more toward smaller lawns and trying to weed out larger ones with more fuel consumption. i may pull the trigger on turfmaster nxt month but dont want to be another victim of the industry
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansoph View Post
I have Time.aster ho models (4). I haven't had any issues other than a transmission on one at 145 hrs. I run the Turfmastef blades and they make a huge difference. I also turned the engine up to 3600 with the blades engaged. Huge power gain. I like the personal pace a lot, don't knock it till you try it.

I wish Toro would make a dedicated high lift blade but the deck design may limit the decks ability to work with that style blade. Vacuum is pretty lackluster even with the commercial blades. SmLl twigs and maple helicopters are missed more often than I would like.

We mow mostly kbg, p.rye mix at 1.5-2.0" and the qoc is good. When you make an initial low cut the mower will show you that it has two blades, after this the cut is very nice. Much nicer than our Honda hrc's.

In short I can buy 2:1 timemaster over turfmaster, run them till they break and buy a new one.

We bought knowing that it won't handle anymore than a 21' except take a 30" path. Almost all mowers struggle with wet tall grass, it has 6hp not 16.

I will replace them when needed with the same. If I were to get the commercial I would go exmark for the drive controls. Lot of weight difference between the comm and ho machines. The slap under the cowling is the tension plley for the blade engage, the belt is sloppy, adjust the cable under the cowl. It is a non threatening issue forr me as it is only an occasional occurance.

I will try to add later in on my phone. Sorry for mispelled words and such
Posted via Mobile Device

How do you increase the rpms on these machines? Is it by tightening the governor spring like on my honda? Also I thought I'd say that weight would never be an adjustment for me as I am used to muscleling around the single hydro Quick 36 which has actually helped my biceps over the years. Any added weight with commercial versions would probably be not noticable after using Quick 36
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 06-02-2013, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum2 View Post
Perhaps, but somehow MTD, Billy Goat, and Ariens (all consumer models, I know) have managed to find a way to put 10-14HP motors on their mowers and still be in the $1500-$1800 range. Neither the Timemaster, Turfmaster, or Exmark "Commercial" 30" have provided this power, yet cost the same (exception is the Timemaster which costs the least of the three as you already know). One might say the Turfmaster/Exmark is built stronger and that is probably true. But all the strength in the world does not matter if the engine is not up to the task of tackling larger jobs that wide cuts are supposed to handle. I think Toro could have, at the very least, put a 10HP B&S motor on the Timemaster, priced it at $1400 and had something much better. They could have done the same with the Turfmaster/Exmark but used a Kawi or Honda and priced that at $1800 and been fine.

GW
FWIW, the Billy Goat comes in at 240 lbs...and is a 3 speed with reverse...but it only cuts up to 3.5" or 4" only if you're mulching(?). In the online video it appears the operator is out for a VERY leisurely stroll, pretty amusing actually.

Hopefully Toro/ExMark will get these bugs worked out by the time my Q32s have bit the dust. OR, I PRAY someone buys BOP and resurrects the whole lineup.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-02-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
FWIW, the Billy Goat comes in at 240 lbs...and is a 3 speed with reverse...but it only cuts up to 3.5" or 4" only if you're mulching(?). In the online video it appears the operator is out for a VERY leisurely stroll, pretty amusing actually.
Are you implying that you don't think the Billy Goat HP3400 is a good homeowner unit? Just curious because I will likely ditch the Timemaster and go for something more powerful. I will not go commercial because they are overkill for my purposes and require more space to store than I have. So I will likely consider the Billy Goat HP3400, Ariens/Gravely WAW34, Simplicity Pacer, or Cub Cadet 760ES as a suitable Timemaster replacement. As a homeowner, I think either of these would be fine, just trying to determine the best of the bunch.

GW

Last edited by Platinum2; 06-02-2013 at 02:31 AM.