Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum2 View Post
Are you implying that you don't think the Billy Goat HP3400 is a good homeowner unit? Just curious because I will likely ditch the Timemaster and go for something more powerful. I will not go commercial because they are overkill for my purposes and require more space to store than I have. So I will likely consider the Billy Goat HP3400, Ariens/Gravely WAW34, Simplicity Pacer, or Cub Cadet 760ES as a suitable Timemaster replacement. As a homeowner, I think either of these would be fine, just trying to determine the best of the bunch.

GW
Each of those mowers probably has compromises of one sort or another. Perhaps you can demo them before purchasing. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Are you implying that you don't think the Billy Goat HP3400 is a good homeowner unit? Just curious because I will likely ditch the Timemaster and go for something more powerful. I will not go commercial because they are overkill for my purposes and require more space to store than I have. So I will likely consider the Billy Goat HP3400, Ariens/Gravely WAW34, Simplicity Pacer, or Cub Cadet 760ES as a suitable Timemaster replacement. As a homeowner, I think either of these would be fine, just trying to determine the best of the bunch.

GW
Looks like each of these mowers uses Briggs engines as well.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Are you implying that you don't think the Billy Goat HP3400 is a good homeowner unit? Just curious because I will likely ditch the Timemaster and go for something more powerful.
GW
No, I was illustrating that a more powerful engine comes on (possibly requiring) a heavier frame...thus a reason why these 30s are so light in weight and power.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Yep, except the CC760ES which appears to use a "Powermore" engine. I believe those are Chinese engines. I must say however, it appears the Chinese engines are pretty good in some cases. I've talked to some guys that have had good experiences with them. Some have even gone so far as to say they are better than most of the B&S these days.

My issue with the Timemaster isn't so much that it is powered by B&S, just that it is underpowered.

GW
Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Each of those mowers probably has compromises of one sort or another. Perhaps you can demo them before purchasing. Good luck with your decision.
That's probably true. I think the Billy Goat HP3400 and the Simplicity Pacer are the heavier duty of the bunch, followed by the CC760ES. The Ariens/Gravely WAW34 does not have rear deck adjustment and I see that as being a problem. Cub is basically MTD which is always a concern, but I think they have done better with this model than some of their other outdoor equipment.

GW
Old 06-02-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
"....snip......".....My issue with the Timemaster isn't so much that it is powered by B&S, just that it is underpowered.

GW
I do remember when I first bought mine that the simple act of engaging the blades would stall the engine.

Now that mine has more hours on it ....I'm thinking it has more power...?

I also going to up the max rpm under load on mine for a tad more power...

I'm seriously considering buying a 2nd TimeMaster.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I do remember when I first bought mine that the simple act of engaging the blades would stall the engine.

Now that mine has more hours on it ....I'm thinking it has more power...?

I also going to up the max rpm under load on mine for a tad more power...

I'm seriously considering buying a 2nd TimeMaster.

Mine did the same thing. Got better with time. I'll sell you my Timewaster if you want it.

GW
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Mine did the same thing. Got better with time. I'll sell you my Timewaster if you want it.

GW
Posted via Mobile Device
Seriously if you were local Iíd buy it from you. Just doubt shipping cost and hassle would be worth it.....? Electric start...? How much would you sell it for...?

The power factor between the tad larger engine on the TimeMaster vs. the TurfMaster....? I really wonder which one has more usable power....? Both mowers have to be running the same blades and under the same conditions.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Seriously if you were local Iíd buy it from you. Just doubt shipping cost and hassle would be worth it.....? Electric start...? How much would you sell it for...?

Yeah, shipping would be a lot I'm sure. I do have the electric start version though. I have not decided how much I will let it go for. I am currently having my dealer contact Billy Goat to provide me with all of the specs on their HomePro 34. I think it is the most robust consumer mower available as it has 11 gauge fabricated deck. Not crazy about the B&S engine, but it is 10.5HP which would be a big improvement over the Toro. I am also considering the Simplicity Pacer, but this is a long unit and might prove difficult to use on my property. The Ariens WAW34 I see as a problematic mower because of the rear of the deck being fixed to the chasis. The Cub Cadet 760 would probably be ok, but I have a tough time warming up to MTD equipment, though a lot of people seem to like them.

GW
Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yeah, shipping would be a lot I'm sure. I do have the electric start version though. I have not decided how much I will let it go for. I am currently having my dealer contact Billy Goat to provide me with all of the specs on their HomePro 34. I think it is the most robust consumer mower available as it has 11 gauge fabricated deck. Not crazy about the B&S engine, but it is 10.5HP which would be a big improvement over the Toro. I am also considering the Simplicity Pacer, but this is a long unit and might prove difficult to use on my property. The Ariens WAW34 I see as a problematic mower because of the rear of the deck being fixed to the chasis. The Cub Cadet 760 would probably be ok, but I have a tough time warming up to MTD equipment, though a lot of people seem to like them.

GW
GW, I will check with my dealer for you. He sells Billy Goat equipment so maybe he has some insight into the quality of those machines.

My concern about the mowers you listed is quality of cut. Simplicity might likely be best of them.