The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Take the 50lbs give it to the committee ask them
That's beautiful. Meeting would get uncomfortable. I'm thinking maybe $4-5/ lb. that would be a number I could shrug it off for. On a slow week, you could bring some of your own dogs poo to pad the bill ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm sorry, but I thought we were the tough guys! In my 25 years of experience when the August sun separates the men from the boys, those men just take it, with a grain of salt. As a side note, I am glad that there are great Mechanics that help on this site. As it appears to me that there are far more parts changers then real mechanics anymore: It's hard to be all things, glad I'm dirty!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a customer call me for an estimate a few weeks ago. I came over, after looking at the yard on google maps, peaked in the back yard and gave him a fair estimate. He hired me right then. As im gearing up to take care of him he pops his head out the front door and says "oh yeah! watch out for the dog poop. I have 3 dogs and they leave alot back there". I was actually caught off guard and instead of saying wait a minute, i went ahead and said OK. i figured i have already looked at the yard and given my bid. i cant back out on it now.

The original agreement was for 2 cuts until his equipment could get fixed. Today I finished the second cut. Not only did I have to push mow the back yard because his fence doesn't open up for large mowers, but I had to stop half way and scrape the dog poop mixed with grass clipping off the bottom of my deck because it got soo clogged it was not side discharging any longer. At the end of it, i scraped the crap off the bottom, and left the pile in his back yard. I washed my whole mower off to include the wheels and left the slurry on the side of the house. I took my blower and blew the big pile across the yard to thin it out but if he calls me for a 3rd im going to renegotiate the agreement.

Im not above walking a yard with a shovel and a 5 gallon bucking with trashbag, but damn it im not going to stretch my hourly pay thin because i have to stop and clean the deck every so often. Ive learned to ask this question pertaining to dog poop prior to agreeing on a price for services. IF its not agreed that it will be picked up, or ill be paid to get it up properly, i guess they will be calling the guy that does $15 cuts! im sure he will be happy to step in dog mess every 3'.

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

price it like its priced in third world countries dog goes for about 2.25 a pound.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunica View Post
price it like its priced in third world countries dog goes for about 2.25 a pound.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
I've cut a dog park off and on for several years. The committee meets, they decide they want to save money, I'm fired. Soon as the thermometer goes up, brand X quits, or only does part, I get the call again. They asked me to bid again this year. Some low baller got it...again. I have no interest in doing it cheap. Either they pay me well to deal with their poo, or I'll gladly sit it out. Every single time it requires a HUGE clean up. If they call me back again, I'm charging per pound for poo. You want to lower your costs huh? I'm not exaggerating to say one clean up was over 50 lbs. what's a fair price per lb.?
Posted via Mobile Device
Got the call today. They want me back. I'm glad to get the call back, but I want the March April May cuts, not just June July August.

Haven't seen how screwed up it is yet. Each time somebody cuts corners somewhere leaving me playing catch up, usually in the heat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I think we all know getting into this business there is the chance at some point we will encounter dog poop on a customers lawn at some point, either because they have dog, or an inconsiderate neighbor or dog walker didn't pick up after their dog. reasonable people pick up after their animals, meaning toys, poop, whatever. customers that refuse to do this are NOT worth having. end of story. all my resi contracts/agreements clearly state that we are not responsible for pickup of lawn other than NORMAL DEBRIS. we don't pick up toys, lawn furniture, hoses, dog poop, or anything else. not saying myself or one of my guys wont get off the mower to pick up one stray toy or whatever, but excessive anything is not fair to us and it cuts down on our productivity and profit. if the homeowner does not abide by this we do not mow that lawn at all or that part of it and they are still billed for that weeks mow. when the customer knows this ahead of time, and signs the agreement the problem is avoided 99 percent of the time.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

dog poop

Do what I do, run it over with your tires then drive on the driveway. They always pick it after that. ( They got the message )
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Got the call today. They want me back. I'm glad to get the call back, but I want the March April May cuts, not just June July August.

Haven't seen how screwed up it is yet. Each time somebody cuts corners somewhere leaving me playing catch up, usually in the heat.
Posted via Mobile Device
You happy now LOL
Like my school job I lost due to a way low bidder I replace the work load but now I have it back on top my work load + added another big job that nobody wanted. I bid it high, Thinking if I get it I'll be making a bundle well found out I was only one turned a bid on it. Now running 2 crews again Till hay season then will be back to 1 crew

On the school first time back a lot trees never got trimmed and some lawn areas hadn't been mowed for 2 weeks it was fun on day one
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You happy now LOL
Like my school job I lost due to a way low bidder I replace the work load but now I have it back on top my work load + added another big job that nobody wanted. I bid it high, Thinking if I get it I'll be making a bundle well found out I was only one turned a bid on it. Now running 2 crews again Till hay season then will be back to 1 crew

On the school first time back a lot trees never got trimmed and some lawn areas hadn't been mowed for 2 weeks it was fun on day one
Right now were pretty full. New work is getting bid high. Either i'll be happy to do it, or I won't have to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread

Tags
charge , dog , money , poop