Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thickest st.augustine this season

Will all this rain my st Augustine lawns are going crazy. Some I have to double cut. Some still have irrigation running on top of the rain. Yes the rain we do need. Anyone stressing out yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Surprisingly I haven't had but a handful getting the summer thickness yet. I suspect next week will be the week.

It's like boot camp. 12 weeks of exhausting heat and relentless grass and plant growth. By week 6 you feel like you are going to crack. By week 10 you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and know it's only about two more months to EOW.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

With a cam shaft position sensor going bad on on the maintenance truck and a new employee and rain at 3pm ish. We are a full day behind and it is only Tuesday.

If the forecast is right I will be unable to do 2 days of maintenance. I bet we do not finish the Install job that the other crew are working on. I had it scheduled to be finished on Thursday. Not likely!

A week like this. Is why I am such a big fan of PGR's and pre-emergents. The property can be neglected because of weather but still remain "maintained".

Every crew has a smart phone with the RAINDAR app. Radar at a push of a button. great app!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Will all this rain my st Augustine lawns are going crazy. Some I have to double cut. Some still have irrigation running on top of the rain. Yes the rain we do need. Anyone stressing out yet?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not stressing, always amazed at the difference a couple of weeks makes in the growth though.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Outdoors View Post
With a cam shaft position sensor going bad on on the maintenance truck and a new employee and rain at 3pm ish. We are a full day behind and it is only Tuesday.

If the forecast is right I will be unable to do 2 days of maintenance. I bet we do not finish the Install job that the other crew are working on. I had it scheduled to be finished on Thursday. Not likely!

A week like this. Is why I am such a big fan of PGR's and pre-emergents. The property can be neglected because of weather but still remain "maintained".

Every crew has a smart phone with the RAINDAR app. Radar at a push of a button. great app!
Stormeye is also a good radar app.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If its an all day rain event and you cannot catch up do you just catch it on the following week. I know some companies around hear that do that. They run 6 days a week till 7 30pm on a dry day. Now there is no way to catch back up if you have an all rain event.now wed its going rain and Thursday going to rain all day. Plus it started in my area at 3pm and did not stop till 730 today.t
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mowed all day today in a light drizzle probably half a day of drizzle tomorrow. Higher temps 2 weeks ago with higher winds and not much rain had all but the healthiest of our lawns (no pest control or fert) looking a little stressed out last week but they are rebounding nicely this week.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
If its an all day rain event and you cannot catch up do you just catch it on the following week. I know some companies around hear that do that. They run 6 days a week till 7 30pm on a dry day. Now there is no way to catch back up if you have an all rain event.now wed its going rain and Thursday going to rain all day. Plus it started in my area at 3pm and did not stop till 730 today.t
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, we are not responsible for the weather. This doesn't happen often but sometimes you can not catch everyone up on the same week.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Luckily the past 2 weeks temps have stayed in the low 80's cause it has rained every day for the past 9 days to one degree or another. Growth hasn't gone crazy, but as temps get near 90 it surely will. Imo the ball breaker months are July/Aug. Once we hit mid September things kind of slow down a bit and things start to get better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Stormeye is also a good radar app.
I use an app called MyRadar for the Iphone