Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

You nailed it Oomes. 32 vid must not know how to use google. G2, a product of Gatorade, has 1/2 the calories and 1/2 the sugar of the original Gatorade. It comes in low calorie, etc. and still has the sodium and potassium. Here is the website for you fluid geeks so you can check it out yourself. I always found the low cal G2 at my local market but haven't looked here in eastern KS yet. www.gatorade.com/default.aspx#gseries?s=g2
Old 06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I drink 2 garerades a day usually. I really feel depleted if I don't drink one. Electrolytes are important. But aside from that I drink a bottle of water after every yard. Works well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

don't worry about how much to drink. when it's hot and humid you should be drinking every chance you get. basically drink all day long non stop. obviously don't drink and mow.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I like your idea of the latter.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
That is a easy test to see if your hydrating enough. Urine should be light colored and free flowing at end of day. Start off right with two large glasses of fluid in the morning.
Posted via Mobile Device
When fully hydrated urine is clear. Not almost, not nearly, not just about, just clear.

Any trace of color then not fully hydrated.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Let me get this straight. The sugar in soda causes one to become dehydrated because of the sugar\water ratio.

But coffee and tea dehydrate as well? Is that because of all the sugar in coffee and tea? What if I drink it black?

And then there's this little gem from Mayo Clinic. Maybe 32vld used to work there and was fired because he found out they were hiding the truth about soda and coffee.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caf...drinks/AN01661

PS 32vld has been on a roll of misinformation lately. Suggesting that stripes in lawns are ugly and should not be left; not reading factual information posted from a state's website about DOT numbers; and now this.

No suggestion stripping is ugly.

Coffee and Tea are a problem not due to the sugar. They are diuretics.

12 oz soda has 40 grams of sugar.

15 grams in a Tablespoon.

That's 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons of sugar in one can of soda.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
When fully hydrated urine is clear. Not almost, not nearly, not just about, just clear.

Any trace of color then not fully hydrated.
More misinformation. Normal urine color is pale yellow caused by a normal pigment called urochrome. Perfectly clear urine is a sign of over hydration which left unchecked can lead to hydro toxicity. Unless you are on diuretic medications for hypertension or other medical conditions clear urine is not normal and is the bodies way of disposing of excess fluid. Just another case of too much of a good thing. There are some posters on here that clearly have a medical background and some that need to learn basic anatomy and physiology. Having treated patients dehydrated from sub zero exposure, those with heat exhaustion from days in 115 degree heat with no fluids and those with chronic kidney failure and urinary retention, I feel quite qualified to give an educated opinion here. I don't know where some of these wives tales come from ,but they are not part of modern medical training.

I haven't found a sports drink, tea or soda that doesn't provide some benefit to the hydration process. If it tatses good amd gets you to drink, have at it. If you like sweet , great. If you prefer a tea, great. Home mixed or bottled is fine. Whatever tastes good to you. I never mandated any of my troops to drink a certain fluid, just drink. That's why they put grink powder in field rations, to encourage consumption.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 06-06-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bottom line, be safe and take care of yourselves. We depend on our bodies to make our money this time of year, let's make it easier on them. Personally I like ebing able to enjoy some after work time instead of being exhausted and cramped up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

You didn't even read the link from Mayo, did you?

Are you aware that water is a diuretic? Just like Patriot stated?

Stop passing yourself off as an expert when you can't even use Google.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-07-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Since you can't click a link, I copied and pasted for you.

Quote:
Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?
I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
Answer
from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.
So are you still going to argue with Mayo, and UConn, who did the research?

Quote:
Armstrong's Study Shows Caffeine Does Not Increase Dehydration
By Janice Palmer

Caffeine is not the diuretic demon people are often told to avoid during exercise or while working in extreme environmental conditions.

In fact, caffeine is no more a diuretic than water, according to a research review article by Larry Armstrong, a professor of exercise and environmental physiology at the Neag School of Education.
Image: Coffee Cup

For decades, health and exercise experts have warned that consuming caffeine and caffeinated beverages can lead to dehydration. But Armstrong, an avid runner and a well respected scientist in the fields of thermo-regulation and human performance, observed evidence to the contrary, so he investigated whether abstaining from caffeinated beverages was scientifically and physiologically justifiable.

"While there have been several studies done that show caffeine is a mild diuretic, there is no evidence that exercise, when combined with the consumption of caffeine or caffeinated beverages, will result in chronic dehydration, and this is contrary to the advice of most exercise physiologists, physicians and dieticians," explains Armstrong, who has been conducting fluid balance research since 1980.

"Therefore, the health and performance of athletes and recreational enthusiasts will not be impaired if they consume caffeine and caffeinated beverages in moderation and eat a well-balanced diet," he says. The National Coffee Association funded his study.

Among his findings:

When caffeine or a caffeinated beverage is consumed, the body retains some of the fluid;

Caffeine consumption causes a mild diuresis very similar to that of water (water, when consumed in large volume, increases urine output);

There is no evidence that consumption of caffeinated beverages causes a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to health or exercise performance;

A person who regularly consumes caffeine has a higher tolerance to the diuretic effect;

The determination of safety or risk of consuming caffeine and caffeinated beverages depends on several factors, including the amount consumed and tolerance to caffeine.

For decades, caffeine has been a favorite stimulant for athletes trying to make weight or enhance muscle definition before competition. Both the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the International Olympic Committee classify caffeine as a banned substance, because of its ergogenic properties. But while there are instances of abnormal and unhealthy diuretic use by athletes, Armstrong reports that "these examples should not be interpreted to mean that the average person who participates in exercise several times a week would be jeopardizing his or her health by consuming one or two caffeinated products each day."

Because the scientific literature analyzed by Armstrong focused on moderate amounts of caffeine (one to four cups of coffee a day), he advises that further research be conducted to determine if chronic, high-dose caffeine consumed over several days results in fluid-electrolyte imbalances.

His findings were published in the June issue of the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism and were recently presented at the American College of Sports Medicine conference in St. Louis, Missouri.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Closed Thread