Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
What method do you use to balance and sharpen. I have set of new blades to be put on shortly but they seem to be sharp - do not have a balance device yet.
I have a magna matic, it's some of the best money I have spent in my lawn care business. It has more than paid for itself over the years without question.

It is a big pill to swallow initially, especially if your not having to sharpen a bunch of blades weekly in the season. From time to time, you'll see a used one for sale. Snag it up if the price suits you, you'll be glad you did.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
Kind of like, why wash your underwear, just buy new ones.
Mmmmmm, that new undies filing.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

pull the trigger on Magna-matic 9000??

I am not a commercial operator but have 5+ acres to mow mostly fescue and some weeds/bahia?. Am particular about my blades and just purchased a Ferris 3100Z with the Vanguard 36 hp. Intend to change blades/sharpen every 10 hrs. or so. At around $28 for 3 blades to have sharpened figure I can pay for the Magna in about 3+ years and in the meantime do my own sharpening and balance.

While it's a big up front expenditure I like doing my own work and doing it well. Maybe even pick up a few users who would like to pay me less than the dealers to sharpen.

Unless someone has a better suggestion I think I'll stick with my stock Ferris blades as they seem to give a good cut. Have read the postings of Magna users and all seem to be positive. Would like to do some of my families mulching blades on their smaller mowers but the Magna 8000 is a bug jump in price for that ability. Would like to hear from any users and any blade comments. Not sure where to order these blades when the time comes other than my dealer? I have two sets now.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zo6 View Post
blades need to be done daily, how do you ever get done doing it every other week??
daily is overkill for a solo operation. weekly is the most i would do them. after a week they are still in pretty good shape. if i go 2 weeks they start getting pretty dull but they still cut fine.

heck back when i only mowed my own yard i never sharpened blades the whole season. i just put a set on and mowed all season before i checked them again. never had an issue of the blades not cutting the grass good.

i live in the south so we mow the grass shorter. the grass cuts easier when you mow shorter since the blade is stiffer the closer to the ground you get.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Running 2 trucks 1 guy per truck so basically solo. Blades are changed out every other day on each mower roughly 8-10 hours. There is no way we could go more hours without sacrificing cut quality.

One really needs to look at hours on the blades versus days. If you don't have a lot of accounts you obviously aren't running a lot of hours per day so you can go several days to a week or more versus a guy with a full schedule like us we can't go more than 2 days without getting sharp blades put on.

Also we are in the South and we don't cut shorter than 3 1/2" and most of our Floratam lawns are cut at 5". So not everybody in the South cuts the same types of turfs.

Also we have sandy soil and the Bahia grass that has silica sand in it really wears on the blades. Lots of factors involved.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
I am not a commercial operator but have 5+ acres to mow mostly fescue and some weeds/bahia?. Am particular about my blades and just purchased a Ferris 3100Z with the Vanguard 36 hp. Intend to change blades/sharpen every 10 hrs. or so. At around $28 for 3 blades to have sharpened figure I can pay for the Magna in about 3+ years and in the meantime do my own sharpening and balance.

While it's a big up front expenditure I like doing my own work and doing it well. Maybe even pick up a few users who would like to pay me less than the dealers to sharpen.

Unless someone has a better suggestion I think I'll stick with my stock Ferris blades as they seem to give a good cut. Have read the postings of Magna users and all seem to be positive. Would like to do some of my families mulching blades on their smaller mowers but the Magna 8000 is a bug jump in price for that ability. Would like to hear from any users and any blade comments. Not sure where to order these blades when the time comes other than my dealer? I have two sets now.
I do mulching blades on our Bradley sharpener. It isn't designed for it but really with wavy mulch blades I just do the flat ends with the Bradley and most of the time the wavy part is still plenty sharp, when the wavy part starts to get dull I'll hit it with an angle grinder with flap disc.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
daily is overkill for a solo operation. weekly is the most i would do them. after a week they are still in pretty good shape. if i go 2 weeks they start getting pretty dull but they still cut fine.

heck back when i only mowed my own yard i never sharpened blades the whole season. i just put a set on and mowed all season before i checked them again. never had an issue of the blades not cutting the grass good.

i live in the south so we mow the grass shorter. the grass cuts easier when you mow shorter since the blade is stiffer the closer to the ground you get.
You made my day How hours of the day you cut? Should say how many hrs you put on a mower per day??????
Mowing grass is like a Barber Shaving, You wouldn't like it if the Barber only sharpen his razor once a week would you?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Homeowner here, cutting 3.3 acres with a JD345 (48") and a Landpride groomer (72"). We in Cajun country we are fortunate in having Southland Engine. They sharpen & balance any blade for $3 each. They have my business.

Ferris IS2000Z in my very near future.....
Old 06-08-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

That is cheap balancing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes.... I spoken to some people years ago, and discovered that Southland Engines did this service to it's very large number of LCO customers, and then opened the service to "everyone".... That made me so happy.....