Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Which color temp would you prefer to work with as a "standard" color.
warmer white- 2700k 6 42.86%
warm white- 3000k 8 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Sponsor

I like the warmth and feel of 2700K. I think it provides more ambiance and feels more "homey." Especially for outdoor entertaining areas. The benefit of 3000K is it appears to be brighter since its whiter (if that's what your looking for).

IMO manu's pushed 3000K because there used to be limitations to 2700K chips. There were lower lumen outputs at 2700K, and at the early stages of LED achieving enough lumens (while keeping heat down) was a challenge. Also there were far fewer 2700K chips to choose from after the binning process (which made 2700K more expensive). All factors from a manufacturer stand point made pushing 3000K the way to go (less expensive, more lumens, bigger chip selection). Now that those factors are no longer the case, I believe you will see a slight resurgence in 2700K.

Note: lumens and heat are not near the issue they used to be-- it's quite easy to get high lumen outputs. Also heat is not the same issue it used to be, chips can also tolerate much high heat now.

Lastly it is always a subjective preference and there are slight geographic preferences.
(813) 978-3700

LED Landscape Lighting
LED Outdoor Lighting
Low Voltage Transformers
Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You really have to watch your colour quality and consistency as you warmify your LED lamps/fixtures. Maintaining a high CRI as the colour temperatures lower is tricky and many very warm white (2500-2800K) lamps offer relatively low colour rendition. There are some lamps out there that are far far superior to others, just like anything. You have to really delve into the CIE charts and test results to know what you are getting. Phosphor quality and application consistency seems to be all over the charts as so many 'no name' chip manufacturers enter the business.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 06-06-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest reason most manufacturers push 3000k is that it is closest to the OEM lamp that come in the fixtures.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Sponsor

Regardless of what motivates manufacturers, every designer needs to make their own decisions about the best CCT for their projects.

There are top designers in both the 3,000K and 2,700K camps, but in my opinion - seeing many projects of both types, warmer lighting is nearly always more appropriate for residential projects.

I saw one persuasive test at a recent project. A warm LED was projected on the front of a tudor style home, and a cooler LED was projected on an adjacent wall on the side of the home. Both lights also illuminated plant material in garden beds.

Our group looked first at one wall then at the other and went back and forth allowing our eyes time to acclimate to both CCT's.

The warmer light source was prefered by everyone - mainly because it was perceived as warmer - more welcoming, and seemed to render colors more appropriate to the nighttime setting.

Interestingly, the cooler source could be said to render colors more accurately, but that was not judged to be appropriate for the mood of the illuminated scene.

I think there is a case to be made for larger mixed use properties - especially ones where safety and security are higher priorities to use cooler light sources, but if I'm relaxing on a backyard patio, I want lighting to be warm and fuzzy.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's an interesting insight Steve. I can truly say I have never compared them side by side in an actual setting. I just get little snippets here and there and notice what I like and what I don't like. You are right though, warmer is always more soothing. I may have to do some side by sides for fun.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com