Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

None of these guys were talking about athletic fields -- they are burying their own home lawns in sand. We can talk about athletic fields if you want. I've managed fields for the World Series, Super Bowl, and World Cup. Which high-profile athletic events have you managed turf for?

I think the point here is to match the right practices for the right place. In most home lawns, all you're doing here is making more work for yourself without improving the result. Not saying that you can't do it, but you're not making anything better.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Doesn't matter what the site is...if its sports turf it is going to be maintained at 1" or less with a reel. I work for sonera very wealthy people. I dont need to get in a pissing match with you i know what is required and what is expected here. I would LOVE to see you put rotary on a sports turf lawn here, you would be laughed right off the property before you could pull the cord. I don't get why its such a big deal to you that some people on here want to have a nice bermuda or zoysia lawn maintained at 1" or less and have it level...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you keep bringing up sports turf on a home lawn website? If you're managing sports turf, then you do the things required to deliver the playing surface that the sport requires. If you're maintaining a home lawn, you know that it doesn't have the same demands on it that an athletic field does. But, no one here is talking about sports fields!

BTW, 2 of the 4 majors of golf this year (Masters, US Open, PGA Championship, British Open) and several PGA Tour stops have fairways mowed with rotary mowers at a height of less than 1/2 inch (most are at 3/8 inch). Understand that this isn't your garden variety rotary mower, but it is a rotary nonetheless.

I'm not saying that you can't have a very level lawn and mow it low, but I am saying that you can use less resources and deliver every bit as good of a lawn.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Why do you keep bringing up sports turf on a home lawn website? If you're managing sports turf, then you do the things required to deliver the playing surface that the sport requires. If you're maintaining a home lawn, you know that it doesn't have the same demands on it that an athletic field does. But, no one here is talking about sports fields!

BTW, 2 of the 4 majors of golf this year (Masters, US Open, PGA Championship, British Open) and several PGA Tour stops have fairways mowed with rotary mowers at a height of less than 1/2 inch (most are at 3/8 inch). Understand that this isn't your garden variety rotary mower, but it is a rotary nonetheless.

I'm not saying that you can't have a very level lawn and mow it low, but I am saying that you can use less resources and deliver every bit as good of a lawn.
What do you think bermuda and zoysia is?! It's sports turf!! Maybe in your area people cat afford it but here it is common. Nobody and i mean nobody is mowing at those heights with rotaries. Its funny how everyone on here except for you is in agreement about this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

And i don't really think anyone is impressed with your "resume." the guys that deal with this stuff on similar sites have helped each other out quite a bit. You just troll and argue with us like we are even going to follow your advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sports turf is what sports are played on -- like baseball fields, football fields, soccer pitches, etc. They can be composed of just about any species of turfgrass. Bermudagrass and zoysiagrass are not necessarily "sports turf", although they could be used for such.

Tifton 85 bermudagrass is a cultivar that would not perform well on athletic fields. Meyer zoysiagrass is a cultivar that *could* be used for athletic fields, but it may not be the best choice. These are turfgrasses, but I don't think anyone would consider them to be "sports turf."

If you're not willing to learn about turfgrass and its maintenance, you're always going to be just the lawn boy and you're making it harder for this industry to be taken seriously.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

bermuda is used mostly around here where i live in alabama. only in the upper class neighborhoods does it look good though since it gets treated by the turf doctor every week and it was sodded when the homes were built. there's only a few of these neighborhoods around though. most yards around here have a mixture of bermuda, fescue, zoysia, weeds, etc. they all look patchy and just a mess because noone fertilizes or gets them sprayed for weeds or anything. alot of the yards are just too big for people to have the money to take care of them properly. i mow some that are 2 1/2 acres in size.

to be honest i just hate bermuda because of this. it's just high maintenance. it does look good if taken care of but it needs alot of care. i think that is the major problem with it.

i wish people would just make a move to putting down centipede grass. it basically takes care of itself. it chokes out all the weeds and spreads over time pretty well. maybe i should start buying a few squares of centipede at a time and putting a square in each customer's lawn. in a few years it will take over and everyone's yard will look alot better.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

3/4 of my yard is looking pretty damn good if I say so... Cut yesterday at 3" because it had gotten so high I didn't wanna chop to much off. tell me what yall think..
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

3" ?!?! Wow that's tall.

Great color though. I'd imagine it's from all this rain. I'm mowing every other day and still taking a lot off.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you run a full time Landscaping biz and still have time to mow every other day? The rain and my accounts kept me from cutting mine last week and that's why It got so tall. Ill take it down to 2.5" this week and then 2" etc etc
Posted via Mobile Device