Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What height do you cut northern grass at?
2" 1 0.74%
2.25" 1 0.74%
2.5" 10 7.41%
2.75" 12 8.89%
3" 38 28.15%
3.25" 16 11.85%
3.5" 28 20.74%
3.75" 14 10.37%
4"+ 15 11.11%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

2" southern grass only.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btlg 440 View Post
Agree with Green Utah. Grass, when cut longer, will take a stripe better and will grow to be a uniform height. Longer is better except under snow cover. During the season, mowing higher prevents weeds and builds a healthier plant. Retains moisture better, too.

Some older folks insist on 'scraping' the turf- I usually let these accounts go to someone else. I don't want my reputation connected to that kind of work. These same old folks usually don't like to pay anyway!

On LawnSite because we are getting a BUNCh of rain here in OH right now. Maybe it will dry out soon!
My retiree accounts always pay but I do have a few, "mow-it-lower" retired accounts that I feel reflect poorly on my "healthy grass that is manicured, vibrant and healthy motto".

KBG mowed at 1.5"...? Because her little dogs belly will drag in the grass....?

Another one...."it grows too fast" and THEY don't like to see their foot prints in the lawn....

Part of me is seriously considering canning these 4 accounts. 3 of the 4 are snow customers.

These are ALL TimeMaster 30 lawns and bagged. Not a snowballs chance I'd mess with these with a 21" mower.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
3.5 for me, stripes better, seems to keep the weeds down and the clippings are not as visible just from my observations.
Posted via Mobile Device
^^ I agree with ya!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Check these factoids out:

"Don't raise the mowing height during drought"

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips...6_15mowing.htm

This nonsense of lower mowing heights in Spring and Fall is bunk if this is correct.

I am a dire hard mow high guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The cut height I use depends upon: (1) Time of season, (2) Quality of turf. It has been over 10 years since a customer asked me to cut at a different height. I make the decisions on what time of the season, and what I have to work with on their property. Nobody complains, or says anything (positive, or negative). They rely upon my judgements, and probably never realize that I am changing heights.

I usually start the season at 2.5", regardless of lawn. Some of the poorer quality lawns go up to 2.75, and never go higher. Others start at 2.5 (April 1), then 2.75, then 3.0, ... all the way to 4.0 by June 1. Many reach 3.5, 3.75. After September, some heights will change downward. The last cut of the season is intended to be back at the 2.5 that was used at the start.

I also make decisions regarding area. Small areas in front or side of the house my be cut 1/4" or 1/2" lower than an open backyard.

My rules are very flexible, and attempt to do what is right for the time and situation. My customer journal has records of what was done on each visit.

I use a Honda hand mower, and Exmark 36" Viking (fixed deck - yes, I only make changes on the caster spacers, not blade spacers), and a JD ZTR, 48".
Old 06-09-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Well my biggest account a condominium just called and asked me to cut it shorter because I cut the grass 3 times last month and they don't want it cut that much. I been cutting it at 2.75 and we have had 3" of rain in the last 2 weeks. I tried explaining to them that it is the same height I have been cutting it at for the last 2 years and we have had a very wet spring but they didn't wanna hear it and the best part is the last thing they said is they are gonna get some bids on the property.

almost half of my customers have called me this spring and told me to cut shorter because it is growing to fast and when I tell them we have not had a spring this wet in a few years and you keep dumping fert on your lawn it is gonna grow its like they don't understand that.

I have never had this many complaints in my 6 years of doing this even some customer I been mowing for 5 years weekly and the same height are calling wanting it cut shorter and less I guess people are starting to hurt for money with $4.00 gas.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I cut my lawn at 2.5", but I have crappy mountain grass and anything higher just looks like a bunch of weeds instead of a lawn.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe I need a vacation from this or therapy or both.....but who else gets annoyed when people hack mow their own lawns.

Used to have a neighbor who would let it grow to a foot or more then would get out there and mow it with a POS, low end, push fest, rocks flying, engine stalling every 30 seconds, restart, wife beater shirt, plumbers crack....and the list goes on.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just voted but I only mow my yard 3.5 - 4 inch but if I had to vote for my customers for the most part they would be down in the 2 inch range

I always say some thing about the height of there grass and they say I do cut at 3 inchs you know the 3rd setting on the mower LOL

Charles Cue
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Check these factoids out:

"Don't raise the mowing height during drought"

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips...6_15mowing.htm

Posted via Mobile Device
Since ole Zac didn't include shading of the root system to prolong holding moisture or protecting it from wind/foot traffic AND has recommendations for as low as 1" cut heights on vertical growing turf during heat, I'd say at that writing he either;

A) Had zero field experience and is just a fresh graduate dribbling out something he read elsewhere

or

B) He doesn't do this anymore

During the cool seasons your cut height is not your continuing height. The grass will grow faster between mows and thus be longer. The roots follow that, not your cut height, which is only temporary.

I agree to get it up earlier and keep it high later, but snow mold and rodent damages are real things for turf left long under snow for extended periods. I generally go by hard frost on each end for my timeframe to go up or down and that's worked well for us.