Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2013, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco vs John Deere Landscapes

The manager at the High Point John Deere Landscapes is useless. It is too bad that John Deere took over a company that had great employees and completely wiped them out. I know that it is just business, but where did the personal side of things go? With Lesco we had a relationship with our supplier, but with John Deere Landscapes it just seems different. I don't want to say everyone at John Deere Landscapes is useless, the guys in Winston are great and so is every one else in High Point, but they seem to put people in management positions who shouldn't' be there.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just started dealing with JDL in CI this year so I have no idea what the good old days were. 2 guys there are great. Though they have been working when it was Lesco.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I deal with a JDL here in Greenville. Although I'm one of their smallest accounts, they treat me like I'm the biggest. They all know me by name and even recognize my phone number when I call. They even give me big volume discounts.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Another Option on JDLS

I agree that after JDLS took over for Lesco some things started to go down hill. I have since moved my business here in NC to a company called Green Resource. They have offered me very competitive pricing, actually coming out cheaper most of the time. I deal with the location in Winston-Salem mostly, but I know they have locations in Colfax and Raleigh as well. I would suggest looking into them as they have a knowledgeable staff that is always eager to help.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

They care and I'd encourage you to report your frustration to management, cblum@johndeerelandscapes.com, therefore they can investigate and resolve.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The two guys at my local JDL are very helpful and knowledgable. Both used to work at golf courses and have been in the green industry for many many years. They both regularly participate in continuing education.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a JDL in the North, South, East and West of Cincinnati. Whatever route I'm in, I could stop by and pick something up. It's very convenient and the guys who work there are very good with customer relations and they all know me by name. I know which branch is going to have a larger supply of odds and ends and which doesn't. A couple of years ago I had a small problem with fert availability but it seems to be OK now. I've been dealing with them for 8 years.
They all know that if I don't get my price then I have a back up supplier which I still use.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The guys in Minnesota are great, very knowledgeable and helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JDL has made some very strange moves in the West. Often making irrigation the focus of their stores and moving them far away from metro areas where they were more centrally located for the greatest number of contractors. Locally, for me, most of my old LESCO guys have been scattered to the wind, landing at other suppliers or being transferred out of the area, breaking their contact positions.

But where one business fails, others pick up the slack and fill the void, often better than the one who dwindled.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

well, I have to agree...they have been focusing a lot on irrigation.