Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
And how soon are you guys talking after rain? Ground still wet? Grass wet?
Posted via Mobile Device
If it rains at 5 am Stops by 6 am and there no wind I'm spraying as long there is no standing water
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting topic. I have sprayed insecticides and wetting agents in the rain too many times to count. It is miserable and tiring work but once you reach the point where you need one of those products you're just grateful to have ideal weather to make the application.

For fungicides on golf courses we used to remove the dew before we sprayed. For systemic fungicides we were more concerned with current disease pressure and/or maintaining the correct spray interval than we were with rain. Sometimes the financially difficult decision to spray despite a high probability of rain was made because we knew that failing to spray would not work.

Like many people who post here, most of what I spray these days are herbicides. That said, spraying is a small part of what I do - 10-15 days a year is all I do. Scheduling is tough for some places I work because they are in use during nearly all daylight hours. Most athletic fields I work on have a range of dates, usually 7-10 days sometime during the appropriate time of year, that they are not in use when I can spray herbicides. Almost every spraying job I do has to be rescheduled at least once. Last week was a pleasant exception where I was able to cover 30 acres in one loacation over two consecutive long days.

If I could choose my ideal conditions for spraying herbicides it would be: grass was not terribly drought stressed already and we got a little rain (around 1/4") overnight before I sprayed, almost no wind and out of the east if I could choose, bright sun and high 70s for 2-8 hours after I finish, and a little more rain 6-24 hours after I finish. I have sprayed in the dark late at night and had as much as a half inch of rain 2 hrs after I finished and still had great results. Wind concerns me and causes delays more often than rain for me.

Interesting topic for sure.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
If I could choose my ideal conditions for spraying herbicides it would be: grass was not terribly drought stressed already and we got a little rain (around 1/4") overnight before I sprayed, almost no wind and out of the east if I could choose, bright sun and high 70s for 2-8 hours after I finish, and a little more rain 6-24 hours after I finish.
I'm spraying tomorow. I'll have these ideal conditions and have been waiting on the perfect day. I'll have light north west winds though which for my lot 1.3 acres is actually ideal, I don't want any drift toward my house.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How soon can you spray after rain or sprinkling? Good question. Is anybody willing to try it and see?
Well maybe I can. But no weeds in my yard. And no irrigation on local vacant lots.
Thinking...
Old 06-10-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Its perfectly ok to spray after a rain, no different than a morning with a heavy dew. It also depends on what type of chemical that you are applying, but a typical 2-4-d based product needs to dry on the plant.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
How soon can you spray after rain or sprinkling? Good question. Is anybody willing to try it and see?
Well maybe I can. But no weeds in my yard. And no irrigation on local vacant lots.
Thinking...
I'll give it a shot. Today I ran 5 minutes water per zone on my own yard. There are 11 zones active on my controller and I began spraying when the 6th one came on around 2:15 pm. I finished spraying just after 3:30. At 8:15 tonight I started another 5-minute set.

Application was 3-way plus Tenacity. Sunny, 80 degrees (seemed much hotter to me), light wind out of northeast. Some boom work and some hose and gun. Plan is to repeat the Tenacity in 2 weeks.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I'll give it a shot. Today I ran 5 minutes water per zone on my own yard. There are 11 zones active on my controller and I began spraying when the 6th one came on around 2:15 pm. I finished spraying just after 3:30. At 8:15 tonight I started another 5-minute set.

Application was 3-way plus Tenacity. Sunny, 80 degrees (seemed much hotter to me), light wind out of northeast. Some boom work and some hose and gun. Plan is to repeat the Tenacity in 2 weeks.
You should shut the sprinkler off for a day after you sprayed
Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You should shut the sprinkler off for a day after you sprayed
I am testing the water before, after, or both topic here.

Usually on my own yard I water a short set (longer than the 5 min here) around 12 hrs after an herbicide application anyway depending on temperature and amount of sunshine.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting! Good going, Foreplease. I will be anxiously awaiting the results.