Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM
grassmasterswilson grassmasterswilson is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nc
Posts: 3,233
My price to treat berms

Been asked by a developer I do work for to spray round up on some berms. I will need to send my guy in front to knock down the tall stuff. How's this pricing...

Trimmer guy - $30 per hour
Me spraying gly at 2 oz per gallo. With backpack - $70 per hour

I figure if the weeds are bad then I'd use more mix but the increase in time would make up for it. Fewer weeds then less mix. It would be a lot easier with my z spray but I'm not willing to mix gly in a lawn sprayer.

Best to charge per hour or per gallon?
__________________
GrassMasters, LLC
Wilson, NC
www.grassmasterswilson.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 PM
ReddensLawnCare ReddensLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,498
Depending on the size of the berm and number of applications, you may be able to get a cheap tow behind from tractor supply or northern tool and spray. It works for me on long stretches.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 PM
kbrashears's Avatar
kbrashears kbrashears is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Central Arkansas
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Been asked by a developer I do work for to spray round up on some berms. I will need to send my guy in front to knock down the tall stuff. How's this pricing...

Trimmer guy - $30 per hour
Me spraying gly at 2 oz per gallo. With backpack - $70 per hour

I figure if the weeds are bad then I'd use more mix but the increase in time would make up for it. Fewer weeds then less mix. It would be a lot easier with my z spray but I'm not willing to mix gly in a lawn sprayer.

Best to charge per hour or per gallon?
Why in the world would you not mix it in your Z? I do it all the time. I'm not afraid. Of course I clean it out well with ammonia afterwards, but the residuals that are left behind before I even get to the ammonia step are so small it wouldn't even be a good growth regulator on rye.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 PM
twomancrew twomancrew is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East, IA
Posts: 890
When you say berms I hope you aren't talking about the back fill piles they make when they build houses. You don't need to mow or weed whack first, spray it and be done. It will do it's thing if you spray properly. Charge for time AND materials. Do both. I too put everything in my 15 gal sprayer and do all types of stuff. Even do some bug spray with it. Glyphosate is no problem if you don't leave it sitting in the sun or use stainless and plastic only, and then it will hold in a tank for days. I only rinse with water, been doing it for years and the washout even goes off the drive into my yard sometimes. No prob.
__________________
[/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,269
Why would you use Roundup? If its a weed problem, kill the weeds leave the grass. Bare ground might have an erosion problem. Could end up with erosion rills from heavy rains. Weeds will come back quick--even quicker if the ground is bare. You could have your man go in front to kill the tall weeds with a back pack or hand sprayer with Speedzone plus Confront or something with triclopyr suited for brush. I would go with 4 oz herbicide per gallon. Add plenty of sticker. Best to use Speedzone plus another herbicide as a mix--omit the Roundup for most areas--leave the grass alone. Wear a face shield, and keep the wind at your back for those tall weeds.
Nothing wrong with carrying a machete just to be sure. No need for a second person.

Essentially this is a chemical mowing job--he is too cheap to mow--or perhaps the ground is too rough or too steep. Erosion rills will make it even rougher.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM
SlaytonFarms SlaytonFarms is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13
From everything I am learning you need to bill for both the gallon and what you want to make per hour.

Cost of Chemical per square foot and what you need to make per hour to make it worth you while.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2013, 03:02 PM
kbrashears's Avatar
kbrashears kbrashears is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Central Arkansas
Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaytonFarms View Post
From everything I am learning you need to bill for both the gallon and what you want to make per hour.

Cost of Chemical per square foot and what you need to make per hour to make it worth you while.
You're leaving out overhead costs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 AM
GOATMAN GEORGE GOATMAN GEORGE is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 88
Dont evergive a customer a per hour Billing breakdown. Then they become your BOSS not your client. whats the benefit of becoming more effecient on an hrly job? Work harder = paid less. Get it together and give a real quote for the job
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 AM
grassmasterswilson grassmasterswilson is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nc
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post
Dont evergive a customer a per hour Billing breakdown. Then they become your BOSS not your client. whats the benefit of becoming more effecient on an hrly job? Work harder = paid less. Get it together and give a real quote for the job
Posted via Mobile Device

I never do. It's always nice when you've built a relationship and the guy says go do it and send me a bill.

Anyway .... It took two of us 2.5 hours each including drive time. I used 6 gallons of round up mis spot spraying and my helper was out in front trimming the tall stuff down.
__________________
GrassMasters, LLC
Wilson, NC
www.grassmasterswilson.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.

Page generated in 0.08128 seconds with 9 queries