Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My price to treat berms

Been asked by a developer I do work for to spray round up on some berms. I will need to send my guy in front to knock down the tall stuff. How's this pricing...

Trimmer guy - $30 per hour
Me spraying gly at 2 oz per gallo. With backpack - $70 per hour

I figure if the weeds are bad then I'd use more mix but the increase in time would make up for it. Fewer weeds then less mix. It would be a lot easier with my z spray but I'm not willing to mix gly in a lawn sprayer.

Best to charge per hour or per gallon?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the size of the berm and number of applications, you may be able to get a cheap tow behind from tractor supply or northern tool and spray. It works for me on long stretches.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Been asked by a developer I do work for to spray round up on some berms. I will need to send my guy in front to knock down the tall stuff. How's this pricing...

Trimmer guy - $30 per hour
Me spraying gly at 2 oz per gallo. With backpack - $70 per hour

I figure if the weeds are bad then I'd use more mix but the increase in time would make up for it. Fewer weeds then less mix. It would be a lot easier with my z spray but I'm not willing to mix gly in a lawn sprayer.

Best to charge per hour or per gallon?
Why in the world would you not mix it in your Z? I do it all the time. I'm not afraid. Of course I clean it out well with ammonia afterwards, but the residuals that are left behind before I even get to the ammonia step are so small it wouldn't even be a good growth regulator on rye.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you say berms I hope you aren't talking about the back fill piles they make when they build houses. You don't need to mow or weed whack first, spray it and be done. It will do it's thing if you spray properly. Charge for time AND materials. Do both. I too put everything in my 15 gal sprayer and do all types of stuff. Even do some bug spray with it. Glyphosate is no problem if you don't leave it sitting in the sun or use stainless and plastic only, and then it will hold in a tank for days. I only rinse with water, been doing it for years and the washout even goes off the drive into my yard sometimes. No prob.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you use Roundup? If its a weed problem, kill the weeds leave the grass. Bare ground might have an erosion problem. Could end up with erosion rills from heavy rains. Weeds will come back quick--even quicker if the ground is bare. You could have your man go in front to kill the tall weeds with a back pack or hand sprayer with Speedzone plus Confront or something with triclopyr suited for brush. I would go with 4 oz herbicide per gallon. Add plenty of sticker. Best to use Speedzone plus another herbicide as a mix--omit the Roundup for most areas--leave the grass alone. Wear a face shield, and keep the wind at your back for those tall weeds.
Nothing wrong with carrying a machete just to be sure. No need for a second person.

Essentially this is a chemical mowing job--he is too cheap to mow--or perhaps the ground is too rough or too steep. Erosion rills will make it even rougher.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

From everything I am learning you need to bill for both the gallon and what you want to make per hour.

Cost of Chemical per square foot and what you need to make per hour to make it worth you while.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaytonFarms View Post
From everything I am learning you need to bill for both the gallon and what you want to make per hour.

Cost of Chemical per square foot and what you need to make per hour to make it worth you while.
You're leaving out overhead costs.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Dont evergive a customer a per hour Billing breakdown. Then they become your BOSS not your client. whats the benefit of becoming more effecient on an hrly job? Work harder = paid less. Get it together and give a real quote for the job
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post
Dont evergive a customer a per hour Billing breakdown. Then they become your BOSS not your client. whats the benefit of becoming more effecient on an hrly job? Work harder = paid less. Get it together and give a real quote for the job
Posted via Mobile Device

I never do. It's always nice when you've built a relationship and the guy says go do it and send me a bill.

Anyway .... It took two of us 2.5 hours each including drive time. I used 6 gallons of round up mis spot spraying and my helper was out in front trimming the tall stuff down.