Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I like both of my mowers, one is more nimble and handles a little quicker, while the other likes wide open areas so it can show you just how much grass it can cut in an hour.

I can trim with the big machine equally as well, it just a matter of getting use to the difference. The big mower due to weighing 1600 lbs and having a longer wheel base with the semi-pneumatic specialized rubber technology tires rides better for the fact of taking the small jolts out that you would feel on a lighter mower.

You may dream at night your 72 rides and handles better than a new 72 HD, but it is only a dream...
Puppy I suggest you read some of the posts just in this thread, it's not like I am pulling this out of my a$$. You mow your farm but to say the new mower rides better in all conditions like you are implying is a dream on your part.

I have heard complaints on the ride and I tried one and immediately realized without the flex forks the mower would have beat the sh it out of me.

The dealer told me they are putting pneumatic tires on the 2013 because of ride complaints on earlier models so I am wondering if this has solved some of this issue?

My Super, I do not need any of that crap band aid stuff and I can run it wide open with no problem even over rough terrain, I would say your farm is smooth riding for the most part and you like all the bells and whistles for whatever reason.

You may be right and I may be better off just buying a new Super and would have but I have heard a few actually quit a few complaints about the newer machine through the grape vine, Read some of the post's on that thing even in this thread right here and I have verified them with people who own them in my town so we are not making this stuff up.

I am glad for you all is well with your Hustler purchases but those are the conditions of Puppies world and do not equate to the whole picture for all who cut in different types of conditions.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
My lawns are quite rough, one in particular is just rut after rut for 1.5hrs, one of the reasons I changed from Dixon was to get a better ride, with the lack of demo ability over here but the great advertising hustler gave for their SZ being "built like a tank but rides like a thoroughbred", I was certain Id be getting a much better ride than the Dixons and would be much faster! Boy was I wrong. The X1 is twice as good a ride as the SZ on rough stuff, but still not as good as the Dixon, which had a suspended seat platform.

Now I realise I need a ZTR with some decent suspension in order to look after my back & the like so when Im 50+ Im not in bad shape. Like the old farmers with back problems from driving tactors all day..

Nothing will ride better than a Ferris, so if it cuts satisfactorily then I cant see anything to stop be buying it. Even if it wears out in half the time of a SZ & I have to replace more moving parts, I'm willing to pay the price for looking after health Just wish that Ferris didn't have the patent & other manus can explore the independent suspension, more R&D it will only get better.
Here Puppy read this for starters.

And I have talked to a local dealer who said they were selling more X1's because the way the newer Super rode.

Not every place is Puppies berry patch.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Here Puppy read this for starters.

And I have talked to a local dealer who said they were selling more X1's because the way the newer Super rode.

Not every place is Puppies berry patch.
You can't compare the heavier, longer wheel base 72 against a smaller 60, it's not comparing apples to apples, even with that being said, Mickhippy says his 60 HD rides better, as so does MT on the handling and ride of the new 60 HD he demoed.

Here is one statement Mickhippy made from which as you can see, the newer, heavier SZ rides better based on his comment. He even states it's "much much better." He's had more seat time than most on a SZ, and in varied areas, making his statement a very strong testimony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Hi Puppy, as Ive mentioned several times... Funnel ants! I had a property that had 100's thousands of the things. Mowing that place with the old SZ was a nightmare and I ran 8 or 9 psi in the tires, suspension and flex seat. The new SZ with the forks was much much better but still made me need to take a leak. Im not kidding either!
MT will tell you the one he demoed rides and handles better, just read his post, or ask him, he will be more than glad to tell you what he experienced.

There are probably as many SZ HD's in my area than most in the country. They certainly don't sell that strongly if people that mow tons of grass for a living are dissatisfied with the cut and ride. Everyone has equal access to Exmark, Scag, Gravely, Toro, Bobcat and any other brand they care to buy.

My dealer alone has sold over 200 new Hustlers this year, and almost as many Bobcats. Bobcat has a very good mower, but the reason they are so close to Hustler in sales is due to better pricing.

I cut on my property the same as most anything you would cut other than the difference in grasses. I cut slopes up to 30° on road banks, big grass, little grass, ditches, wetter areas, extremely rough areas, smooth areas, large areas, small areas, areas to trim around numerous obstacles, and areas to trim around none, I also deal with large numbers of fire ant hills. About the only thing I don't deal with is mountainous terrain, of which I also doubt there are very many mountains inside Florida.

So, if you can explain what you cut that is so much different that anything I would have experience with, let's hear it...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No those are good points thanks for the input, I am probably better off just buying a new mower and not fiddling with this old XR7.

I got the new clutch and spindles for a little over 200 on ebay, so I decided that was a good start. No ? the new mower is made alot better, although I have heard complaints on the 60 deck chattering.

Here is what I am worried about, I do steep inclines and the new mower is Heavier and taller and 250 pounds heavier is not good at all for this.

Heavier in some conditions here will tear the properties up more and the mower will get stuck on some properties I do, I wish the new mower was only 50 pounds heavier than the old one.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
No those are good points thanks for the input, I am probably better off just buying a new mower and not fiddling with this old XR7.

I got the new clutch and spindles for a little over 200 on ebay, so I decided that was a good start. No ? the new mower is made alot better, although I have heard complaints on the 60 deck chattering.

Here is what I am worried about, I do steep inclines and the new mower is Heavier and taller and 250 pounds heavier is not good at all for this.

Heavier in some conditions here will tear the properties up more and the mower will get stuck on some properties I do, I wish the new mower was only 50 pounds heavier than the old one.
I would not say made a lot better, heavier yes, my 2006 is made as strong as any mower on today's market. My 72 is definitely a big boy, and you can feel the difference when mounting the mower and beginning to maneuver around, this is before the actual cutting even comes into play.

My 66 will feel basically the same as your 72, a little difference, but not a great deal. You can feel a great deal of difference between sitting on my 72 and the 66, my wife wants nothing to do with the 72, she says it feels to big to her, the only difference I really notice is the easier ride, and finishing the job faster.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I would not say made a lot better, heavier yes, my 2006 is made as strong as any mower on today's market. My 72 is definitely a big boy, and you can feel the difference when mounting the mower and beginning to maneuver around, this is before the actual cutting even comes into play.

My 66 will feel basically the same as your 72, a little difference, but not a great deal. You can feel a great deal of difference between sitting on my 72 and the 66, my wife wants nothing to do with the 72, she says it feels to big to her, the only difference I really notice is the easier ride, and finishing the job faster.
I get stuck sometimes with my 72 in some situations and do not want to go to ribbed tires because of the other work I do, The new Super being 250 pounds heavier seems to me like it would sink more and get stuck more but the extra power could over come this with more powerful drive ?

When you first bought your 72 you said the 66 rode alot better?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I get stuck sometimes with my 72 in some situations and do not want to go to ribbed tires because of the other work I do, The new Super being 250 pounds heavier seems to me like it would sink more and get stuck more but the extra power could over come this with more powerful drive ?

When you first bought your 72 you said the 66 rode alot better?
If I made that statement it was because of not having enough seat time, the heavier, longer wheel base 72 rides better. The 66 gives a great ride, the only difference is the heavier mower seems more tied to the ground, you just don't feel the subtle bumps you feel with the shorter wheel base, lighter in weight mower. I've run the old mower several hours more than the new mower this year, so from that alone you can tell there is not enough difference to make me jump on the big mower for ride difference alone.

I will say if I need to ride a mower 4 to 5 hrs straight, I would use the big mower, you will not be as tired when finished. Those small bumps you don't think much about will take a toll after several hrs, especially on a 64 yr old body. It seems that after 60 it started getting a little worse with each passing year, I can promise you will find out if you live long enough.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your 72 must be a good bit longer than your 66. I read the dimensions on the new deck and it is way bigger than the old one. The 72 XV4 is over 4 inches wider than the xr7 model in deck width.

Much more open area in the deck design.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Your 72 must be a good bit longer than your 66. I read the dimensions on the new deck and it is way bigger than the old one. The 72 XV4 is over 4 inches wider than the xr7 model in deck width.

Much more open area in the deck design.
Where your feet and legs sit seems quite a bit larger as well, everything about the mower just feels quite a bit larger. The new 72 is 8" longer than my 66 according to the specs. 8" makes a great deal of difference in ride on something that short.

I at one time bass fished a great deal, and running a 21' bass boat versus a 19' bass boat in rough water is like the difference in night and day.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler is making a kit to convert the old Super Z White wheel motors over to the newer Parker 280's. They said the kit is not ready yet and they also said they will not be making a kit to convert to the Sauer Danfoss pumps because the mod is to extensive. They said for one the Hyper Drive setup requires much more oil to make it work so the modes would be a bit of work to do.

I am sure it can be done, they also said after they quit using the White wheel motors White then jacked the price up on the motor units so now you will have to pay more to replace your wheel motors with the stock White units.

Puppy on the Kubota thread that is about a guy is giving up on them I have my hands full with a punk saying the Super Z is a 2 to 3 year throw it away piece of trash mower and the new Hyper Drive is over engineering for a mower.

He claims his TT is the Cats Meow! He say's he owned a Super and it was disposable after 250 hours.

I could use some help from the Master over their to silence this nincompoop once and for all.