Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

@ ETPRO There's a lot of good prices to be found at New Summerfield. For us the drive isn't worth it for the prices we pay. Not to mention having to keep everything weeded and watered before we plant it.
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We set up an area at our shop where we can bring in a couple hundred flat of flowerss and other plants and have them watered. We almost got bite this year when we got a near freeze the nite after we got the flowers. It did knock back all the potota vines a little and perwinkles had a little damage. But I put growth juice on them and they do almost as good as nursery. We are at $12.50 of flat of 25. We can get them direct from colorspot if we order 100 flats but they would be more but bigger.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
@ ETPRO There's a lot of good prices to be found at New Summerfield. For us the drive isn't worth it for the prices we pay. Not to mention having to keep everything weeded and watered before we plant it.
Mike
Only annuals perennials and some hanging baskets come from New Summerfield. We get a truck every Tuesday during color changes. I might add that those prices I shared were delivered prices with a minimum order. We only order what we can install in a week. With the maintenance routes we have we had no problem filling 4 orders. Last order was two weeks ago and we still have a few stragglers left at the shop but they will be gone in the next 2 weeks.

I griped about the price, but I can say the quality was spot on. Except I passed on the pentas.

We purchase our perennials and shrubs for our install jobs at House in Tyler. They will deliver for a fee. Not a bad deal if you are getting an order of over $800-1000. Their prices are 30-50% lower than what you just listed. Trees we are getting straight for the grower. I can't find decent sized trees anywhere local or at any nursery. (And I am talking at least 30 gal and up.)

But there is a lot to be said for not having to drive anyway or worry about what you might get sent on a delivery.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETPRO View Post
Only annuals perennials and some hanging baskets come from New Summerfield. We get a truck every Tuesday during color changes. I might add that those prices I shared were delivered prices with a minimum order. We only order what we can install in a week. With the maintenance routes we have we had no problem filling 4 orders. Last order was two weeks ago and we still have a few stragglers left at the shop but they will be gone in the next 2 weeks.

I griped about the price, but I can say the quality was spot on. Except I passed on the pentas.

We purchase our perennials and shrubs for our install jobs at House in Tyler. They will deliver for a fee. Not a bad deal if you are getting an order of over $800-1000. Their prices are 30-50% lower than what you just listed. Trees we are getting straight for the grower. I can't find decent sized trees anywhere local or at any nursery. (And I am talking at least 30 gal and up.)

But there is a lot to be said for not having to drive anyway or worry about what you might get sent on a delivery.
I stand corrected on New Summerfield. There's around 20 nurseries down there, i was thinking one had shrubs.
That is a lot better deal. It's just not worth the hassle to me. I have a good nursery that is very conveniently located that grows a lot of their own stuff. We make a nice profit off of the prices we get from them so I'm going to stick with that. With that said I wish there was a wholesaler less than a Hr a way.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I stand corrected on New Summerfield. There's around 20 nurseries down there, i was thinking one had shrubs.
That is a lot better deal. It's just not worth the hassle to me. I have a good nursery that is very conveniently located that grows a lot of their own stuff. We make a nice profit off of the prices we get from them so I'm going to stick with that. With that said I wish there was a wholesaler less than a Hr a way.
I am sure there is one of them with shrubs. I just haven't gone looking for them yet. Most of them are annuals & perennials.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New board on one of our HOA properties wanted to leave last summer flowers go across he winter and see what happens. And this year they want to plant perennials to fill the beds . Here is how that looks

On this bed every one of the plants came back. Darn magnolia keeps
dropping leaves in bed ....we clean it weekly
Name:  002.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  91.9 KB
This bed had to many sweet potatoes come back up. I had to thin
out this week so I could see the flowers. We did put in a few new flowers

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  66.0 KB
A couple pictures of the zoysia we put in a couple months ago. It has
the soil moisture enhancer
Name:  010.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  119.4 KB

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  117.7 KB

Name:  012.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  90.9 KB
This bed was planted this winter by dividing existing plants
Name:  020.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  125.6 KB very drought tolerant
Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
New board on one of our HOA properties wanted to leave last summer flowers go across he winter and see what happens. And this year they want to plant perennials to fill the beds . Here is how that looks

On this bed every one of the plants came back. Darn magnolia keeps
dropping leaves in bed ....we clean it weekly
Attachment 273511
This bed had to many sweet potatoes come back up. I had to thin
out this week so I could see the flowers. We did put in a few new flowers

Attachment 273512

Attachment 273513
A couple pictures of the zoysia we put in a couple months ago. It has
the soil moisture enhancer
Attachment 273514

Attachment 273515

Attachment 273516
This bed was planted this winter by dividing existing plants
Attachment 273517 very drought tolerant
Looking good Hess!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Having issues with our Vincas/Periwinkles at a property we did a little install on. They are dying right after we put them in (I've replaced them once). What would you put in instead? They are getting plenty of water.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Having issues with our Vincas/Periwinkles at a property we did a little install on. They are dying right after we put them in (I've replaced them once). What would you put in instead? They are getting plenty of water.
Replace them with penta......when planting vinca always ask for Cora but now those have the same problem. We have some beds with vinca that are simply beautiful and across the street a bed that they all died.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Replace them with penta......when planting vinca always ask for Cora but now those have the same problem. We have some beds with vinca that are simply beautiful and across the street a bed that they all died.
That's how it is there, the ones at the entrance of this subdivision are great, but mine all died. I think these were Cora but not sure.