Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes in fact I did buy from Chris.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Update....I seemed to have gotten some control of weeds....mostly spot treating a couple times couple with my lawn treatment company addressing on their visit. Also aerated thoroughly, scalped and added Ironite and lime. Still has some thin spots near the house that are hard to see from the road but coming around a little bit....wrager - thanks for the offer....still may invest in a good tru cut...trying to determine if my lawn is really even level enough to see a difference. The best it has looked (IMO) was when it was cut a little longer than most....I think that length hides some of the uneven areas.

Pic from today:

Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking good. We're suppose to get night time temps in the upper 60's next week and daytime temps in the 80's so it's really going to take off and get thick. This spring has been very cool so the Bermuda has been very sluggish. I've been reeling mine twice a week and it's starting to get very dense in spots. There's a few more that are kinda thin but with the hotter temps coming they'll fill in pretty quick.

I also got the roller for my tru-cut this week and it cuts much nicer. Less scalping and adds a little weight to the front end to keep it from popping a wheelie when I engage the drive.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Reel mowers fitted with front rollers are much more forgiving of uneven ground. A reel with casters is almost as bad as a rotary about digging and scalping. Especially a Tru-Cut. That one does not have the rear drive roller like a Trimmer or McLane.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_Kona_Brian View Post
Update....I seemed to have gotten some control of weeds....mostly spot treating a couple times couple with my lawn treatment company addressing on their visit. Also aerated thoroughly, scalped and added Ironite and lime. Still has some thin spots near the house that are hard to see from the road but coming around a little bit....wrager - thanks for the offer....still may invest in a good tru cut...trying to determine if my lawn is really even level enough to see a difference. The best it has looked (IMO) was when it was cut a little longer than most....I think that length hides some of the uneven areas.

Pic from today:

I would rather have all of the lawn as closely cut to the correct height of cut than have a height that hides any bumps or divots. The areas that are really high cut because of a divot do not look as good compared to the areas that are cut low. A reel mower, especially one fitted with a front roller can get you there. A lawn has to have 3" or deeper holes all over the place before a reel is not usable. If you scalped and sanded the lawn, it is probably good to go. I actually do not like rotaries on bermuda unless the lawn is perfectly flat.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I borrowed by buddy's 20" McLane reel mower.....nice little mower. I have it on the highest setting and it cuts great but I still see a lot of brown spots.....I see these normally when I try to cut shorter than normal.

Is my lawn basically just not able to be able to be cut at this length? Some of it looks great in spots and is nice and green and other areas (obviously from above pics) don't look so great. I usually cut the lawn a little longer with my rotary so that is looks green throughout, but would like to use a reel mower to cut it nice and tight.....but the brown spots....ugggh.

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I borrowed by buddy's 20" McLane reel mower.....nice little mower. I have it on the highest setting and it cuts great but I still see a lot of brown spots.....I see these normally when I try to cut shorter than normal.

Is my lawn basically just not able to be able to be cut at this length? Some of it looks great in spots and is nice and green and other areas (obviously from above pics) don't look so great. I usually cut the lawn a little longer with my rotary so that is looks green throughout, but would like to use a reel mower to cut it nice and tight.....but the brown spots....ugggh.

Thoughts?
The key to stop scalping it is cutting frequency. You're probably not mowing often enough. If you let it grow too much between mowings, you'll cut off all of the foliage leaving mostly stems (the brown spots).

Here's a pic of my lawn from this weekend. I mow every other day at 1/2" with my tru-cut. All the rain lately is pushing tons of top growth. Also, mine still hasnt been leveled yet. The front roller does a great job of preventing scalping.

Ignore the brown spot by the cable box/my neighbor's driveway. Comcast had to bury a new cable the other day because he cut his when he was edging his beds.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
You have to "train" the bermuda. If you keep cutting it short, it will eventually stay green after every cut. I was cutting at 4 inches with a rider and dropped it down. Took a few mowings but the grass really thickened up and was no longer brown after cutting. Now I need to find a reel mower. Was the Maclane a manual or powered reel mower?
Old 06-14-2013, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you were cutting with a rider, think about a tow behind gang reel mower. McLane mowers are power drive reels. Maximum width is 25", but a 25" reel has problems with anything but totally flat ground. No inclines, swales. or divots in the lawn. Unless the lawn is horizontal and pool table flat, a 20" McLane fitted with a front roller replacing the caster wheels does the best. The Cal Trimmer mower is the commercial version of that. Tru-Cut mowers are not bad. Don't like the wheel drive vs the rear roller drive of the McLanes and Trimmer mower. Although Tru-Cuts can be fitted with a front roller to help with the quality of cut

Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by antv20 View Post
You have to "train" the bermuda. If you keep cutting it short, it will eventually stay green after every cut. I was cutting at 4 inches with a rider and dropped it down. Took a few mowings but the grass really thickened up and was no longer brown after cutting. Now I need to find a reel mower. Was the Maclane a manual or powered reel mower?
Keep cutting it low and the tendency of the bermuda to grow vertically is lessened. Fine lawns here are typically cut with a reel at less than 3/4" every 14-21 days. No they do not grow 5" high between cuts.