Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check all the fuel lines and filters. Ethanol will eat the lines. Sometimes they have small cracks that allow air to be sucked in and prevent starting, sometimes the walls of the line become to thin and then they collapse inward and starve the carb.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it isn't getting fuel, you are better off to replace the fuel lines, fuel filter and put in a carb kit, all at once. When the fuel lines deteriorated some of that junk will likely have gotten thru to the carb and gummed it up or stiffened/puckered the diaphragms so they don't pump well.
If you just replace the fuel line it will probably start, but not run right, and you'll get to tear it down a second time if you want it to run right.
Carb kits only run about $15 - better to put one in while you've got it apart.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
If it isn't getting fuel, you are better off to replace the fuel lines, fuel filter and put in a carb kit, all at once. When the fuel lines deteriorated some of that junk will likely have gotten thru to the carb and gummed it up or stiffened/puckered the diaphragms so they don't pump well.
If you just replace the fuel line it will probably start, but not run right, and you'll get to tear it down a second time if you want it to run right.
Carb kits only run about $15 - better to put one in while you've got it apart.
It depends on which carb is in it. My particular HS 45 hedge trimmer has a carb that is also used in some of Stihl's chainsaws. It is about $40- $45 for the rebuild kit and $85 or so for the new carb according the my dealer when I gave him the number off the carb.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Cleaned the carb a little. Didn't take the diaphram out. Got it as far as starting to immediate stalling
Old 06-09-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How bout this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-WALBRO-C...item35c2919f90
Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I will check out the number in the morning
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
It depends on which carb is in it. My particular HS 45 hedge trimmer has a carb that is also used in some of Stihl's chainsaws. It is about $40- $45 for the rebuild kit and $85 or so for the new carb according the my dealer when I gave him the number off the carb.
You mean this $10 carb kit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZAMA-Carb-Ki...item20c5e9deb3

If you want to pay the dealer $45, go for it.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
You mean this $10 carb kit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZAMA-Carb-Ki...item20c5e9deb3

If you want to pay the dealer $45, go for it.
You can't just buy any carb off of flea bay or amazon and expect it to work correctly, if at all, just because your model is shown in the listing. You need to get the exact model 99% of the time for it to work correctly.

Re-read my post. My particular HS45 has a carb that is really expensive to rebuild or replace, and it doesn't matter where you buy the parts or carb. I googled it plenty before I went to the dealer. Little to no difference in price and I don't have to wait for it at the dealer. They used 4 different carbs on the HS45 that I'm know of. Mine is the most expensive of the bunch. It isn't interchangeable with the others or I would do it. It is one that is used on some of their chainsaws, but I can't recall if the 026 was one of them.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

-took the caps off the carb. Fuel side with the needle had rust in there and was nasty I don't think the spring was working. Other side had saw dust and gelled fuel in the screen. Carb says on it wt194
Old 06-14-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walbro WT 194 kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARB-KIT-FOR...item53efd12f28

New carb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Walb...item1c334d4bd7

Note the kit does NOT have the needle spring in it, so be careful not to lose that. You said you didn't think the spring was working. They don't usually go bad, just get lost when you take the carb apart. If your needle spring isn't usable, the kit won't fix it. Some other kits, like some of the Zama ones, do include the needle spring.

Obviously, buying the kit is cheaper, buying the whole carb is easier and more sure to fix it.

As mentioned before, you need to replace fuel lines and filter when you do the carb. There is a reason all that crap is in there. Still would be a good idea to check compression and spark before getting too deep into this. Can't check the oiler until it's running.