Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

fakahatchee grass

I am not in Florida, but hey I am not far. I know yall are sensitive about this clubhouse... My question is about the Florida native fakahatchee grass. We have thousands at my place of employment, and we have an chance to do work that otherwise is out of the question. Usually when these get cut back, it is with mechanical pruners in the winter. We will be able this summer to bush hog these areas if we like, mostly cordgrass and fakahatchee...Does anyone here have experience with cutting these back or bush hogging mid summer, with any ill effects or not?

cheers
Old 06-05-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
I am not in Florida, but hey I am not far. I know yall are sensitive about this clubhouse... My question is about the Florida native fakahatchee grass. We have thousands at my place of employment, and we have an chance to do work that otherwise is out of the question. Usually when these get cut back, it is with mechanical pruners in the winter. We will be able this summer to bush hog these areas if we like, mostly cordgrass and fakahatchee...Does anyone here have experience with cutting these back or bush hogging mid summer, with any ill effects or not?

cheers
I am not sure about a Bush Hog. But I seen guys chop ornamental grass to the ground with a power Hedge Clipper, only to have them come back strong.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post

cheers
I have some I cut to the ground with gas hedgers every spring, I doubt you will do it any harm.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

make sure the blades are good and sharp; don't hack at it, trim it to a ball.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-14-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks,

A small area was cut with bush hog over the winter and they are fine. They will get chewed up when mowed....that is kinda the issue, they will get cut low, or lower (and hacked) more than usual, in late July. The problem with doing them nicely, is time. An open chance to cut them mid summer without initial visual complaints, they will have time to come back before they will be seen again. The time saver is the bush hog, as there is probably about 50,000 of these that are 14 years old. In a perfect world we would burn them every winter. I will report back if we have ill effects of bush hogging mid summer. I am betting they will be fine, just curious if anyone had past experience with a similar situation.