Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The VX4 is a heavily built deck, but I think the XR-7 may have been physically heavier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just spoke to my old boss from back in the 90's. He owns one of the largest property management companies in NH. Im going to visit him tonight and hope to get some pics. Says he has a surprise for me equipment wise. Last time we talked he was running Exmark. When I worked there it was Scag and Kubota.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guessing he's running Gravely now.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Guessing he's running Gravely now.
Actually he didnt tell me. I dont think its Gravely because Im bringing my 452 for him to try. After I told him how great Gravely has been to me he wanted to check it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

So at lunch I swung by one of the largest property management companies in NH(bought out by a national brand now). They only bid on very large commercial properties that require multiple crews on site at all times. I worked for them as a foreman when I was 18 on a 400 acre campus. We mowed 6 days a week, 10-12 hours per day. This is just one of there on site shops. Most of the machines were out mowing but I was allowed to take a couple pics around the shop as long as no company info, employees, or grounds pics ended up on the net. They have run Exmark for quite a while now but are in the process of changing the entire fleet over to Deere. It has been a 2 year process with a couple more years left to replace HUNDREDS of machines. The owner is very reserved and doesn't talk much(unlike me) but his actions speak louder than words. His statement to me was "I want a good cut the first time" and nothing else. He checked out my Gravely and thought it was quite nice although he himself hasn't mowed in 20+ years. Sorry the pics are not the greatest but I did my best to respect his wishes.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

More pics...
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I almost posted if not Gravely, then Deere. Dunno why, just had a feeling.

So, what's he say about them? They've obviosuly been running some of them for a while now, and should have an opinion or two.

Those 1445's are really nice machines.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
More pics...
I'm sorry, but this mower really looks cheaply built, like something you would buy from a box store. Maybe it's just the design change, but they definitely look much cheaper than the older Deere design. It looks like a toy beside the much stronger built Super Z. I think anyone that speaks truthfully must admit to that.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I almost posted if not Gravely, then Deere. Dunno why, just had a feeling.

So, what's he say about them? They've obviosuly been running some of them for a while now, and should have an opinion or two.

Those 1445's are really nice machines.
Honestly he didnt say much but he did say the guys love them. He is not into the machines like us. He is all business and only buys the right tools for the job. For him to say he wants the right cut the first time is a big deal if you knew him. I dont know any of the guys that work there anymore but I bet they would have more of an opinion. The grounds looked awesome!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I'm sorry, but this mower really looks cheaply built, like something you would buy from a box store. Maybe it's just the design change, but they definitely look much cheaper than the older Deere design. It looks like a toy beside the much stronger built Super Z. I think anyone that speaks truthfully must admit to that.

I guess the pics must be deceiving. Because in person there appears to be a ton of cast iron on the machine. Dont let all the plastic fool you. Under it all was a very solid machine. It made the Exmarks look like tooth pics.
Posted via Mobile Device