Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What causes them to die?
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fungus

I have to replace 13 flats at a bank. Once the fungus is in the ground forget about using them because it will kill them year after year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dang I had no idea. I saved some of them to see if they would work out, I'll dump them on the burn pile.
Are both vincas and periwinkles susceptible or just the vincas?
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
Dang I had no idea. I saved some of them to see if they would work out, I'll dump them on the burn pile.
Are both vincas and periwinkles susceptible or just the vincas?
I should have said Cora perivinkles was thougt to be imune to the fungus that had killed periwinkles for years. But the fugus is now getting them sadly. The white colored ones still seem to be imuned. The firstt year with cora was a ok but from then on it got worse. Not real familiar with all vinca but the ones we use for ground cover doesn't have any problem.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I changed the cora vincas out for Pentas. The Pentas cost me $3/Quart or 30.00 a flat. Crazy high in my opinion. But you know me I stand behind our work and cost is no object when keeping customers happy.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Periwinkles are a member if the vinca family. (There are several other types of "vinca" don't think the ground covers are susceptible...) They are highly susceptible to stem rot. However, I have understood that stem rot is actually a virus, not a fungus which is why no fungicides work on resolving the problem. A tip, periwinkles are very drought tolerant. They cannot tolerate wet feet. Only water them as often as the soil dries out. If you water them everyday, you will always have problems with stem rot. If you have a bed with poor drainage,, forget about Periwinkles. Learned this one the hard way after loosing 40+ flats. I'm with turfdawg. Pentas are the way to go as a sub.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I should have said Cora perivinkles was thougt to be imune to the fungus that had killed periwinkles for years. But the fugus is now getting them sadly. The white colored ones still seem to be imuned. The firstt year with cora was a ok but from then on it got worse. Not real familiar with all vinca but the ones we use for ground cover doesn't have any problem.
Cora is news to me. If they are a little more tolerant, I'm all for specifying them in seasons to come.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETPRO View Post
Cora is news to me. If they are a little more tolerant, I'm all for specifying them in seasons to come.
Posted via Mobile Device
You will see them at Home Depot and Lowers but like I said they aren't imune any longer. Sadly it only lasted a couple years. Once you have one die in a bed you can't plant there ever again. I got some beds that we plant over and over and no problem.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
You will see them at Home Depot and Lowers but like I said they aren't imune any longer. Sadly it only lasted a couple years. Once you have one die in a bed you can't plant there ever again. I got some beds that we plant over and over and no problem.
I have heard that you can plant again after you have lost some 2 seasons later... However, I'm no glutton for punishment. Once I've lost one batch, I'm not going to repeat ever again, if I was, I would certainly amend before to improve drainage condition to minimize plant stress..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Won't buy plants from Home Depot and lowe's anyways. They drown all of their plants every shift. Within a couple days everything that came off the truck is drowned and diseased. May not be same issue in metro areas. Around here, plant knowledge is purely optional to run their lawn and garden departments.
Posted via Mobile Device