Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

West/Central Texas Bareground Spraying.

Part-timer that has been spraying Prickly Pair and Mesquite for a few years.

I was asked to spray a few right-of-way type jobs around Pump jacks and tank batteries.

The competitors in the area are so closed mouth I am suprised they can eat. So I submit a few questions in the hopes you will realize I am a part-timer and pretty new at this.

I am certified/insured in Texas to spray right-of-ways before someone points that out.

My research has lead me to Krovar, Paraquat, Glyphosate mixture at the below rates. I have already purchased the chemicals so the questions seems redundant at this point. I ask anyway in the hopes that a flush of business will come my way and I can streamline the business.

My cost per acre seems to be for chemical alone.

$24.00/ACRE PARAQUAT @ 4PINT/ACRE
$200.00/ACRE KROVAR @ 12LBS/ACRE
$17.00/ACRE GLYPHOSATE @ 2QUARTS/ACRE
$241/ACRE BAREGROUND APP.

This roughly translates into .0055 cents per square foot or half a penny per square foot for the head scratchers. To make any money I will have to triple the cost to .015 cents/sq ft of chemical, add a modest hourly rate and mileage (50 mile one-ways are forseeable). And this seems ridiculously high to me. (I couldn't afford it).

Getting in on the all important vendor lists here in West Texas is key and I am looking to cut my costs and still get on the lists.

Any suggestions on a change in Chemicals? or Vendor list entry.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Per acre cost seems high to me. Why did you triple the cost of chemicals? Shouldn't you use your actual cost of chemical? Plus hourly cost of the equipment? Plus actual cost of labor? Plus average cost of overhead per hour?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I have always charged for my certification and markup of the chemicals. If they studied the materials, took the test and paid the outrageous insurance cost of buying storing and spraying, then they could buy the chemical at .0055 cents/acre. Just my philosophy.
The cost of my hours is what I charge for my time, that I am using to be there and not at some other job.
The mileage seems self-explanatory.

If I should drop the cost of my chemicals to 1 penny per acre I can see that, if it is the only way to land a bigger contract. but selling it at cost seems off to me.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I meant that last post to have .0055/square foot. The one penny per square foot. instead of the per acre that I wrote.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't mean for you to use the actual cost of the chemicals, and machine time to charge the customer. You are right--that would be way too low.
I meant to say, use the above to find your costs. Then, add a suitable profit--enough to reward you above and beyond your risk of being in business. Maybe your profit should be $40 per hour, paid to you.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

The going rate is a penny per foot. $435/acre you should keep your chem cost to @ $200./acre. 2 bags Krovar and 5 qts glyphos . add 1 bad Diuron if its bad. or 1 bag Sahara and 1 bag Krovar with 5 qts Gly/acre.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

$200.00 for 12 lbs of Krovar is high. $80 bag is what It goes for.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

$435/Acre seems high. Maybe not for your area though. I am definitely not experienced with right-of-way bidding and really had no reference point to base my bids in the past other than my experience with lawncare in general. I have put in a bid with one of the major Natural Gas companies in my area for bare ground at their compressor sites. The bid is for 300+ acres spread out over 6 counties. I have bid around $330/acre the last 2 yrs and have not gotten the bid. My thought is that I am high. I have met with the Maintenance supervisor and he liked the fact that I was centrally located and local. I am a small company though and that may have played a part in the decision. Just some personal experience I thought I would share.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Drop the paraquat. That much paraquat antagonizes glyphosate. If you want to use paraquat, omit the glyphosate. The diuron in the Krovar will modify the action of the paraquat, making it a much more potent herbicide.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-15-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your bid will of course have to be based on material costs. Make sure you have everything you need and skip any extras or unnecessaries. I based mine on materials recommended by Greendoctor at the time. I thought using paraquat and Glphosate in the same mix was overkill when I first saw it in this thread as well. However, I lack the experience to know that some of these particular products enhance the effect of others. In my bid, blue dye was a requirement and had to be included in the list of materials to be used too. Blue dye is not cheap and its something I almost never use and didn't even think about in my material costs until I got a list of prerequisites for the bidding process.