Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Yard Size Questions

As you guys may know I am just getting started and have been doing some measuring and calculations from my own yard sense it is huge and offers different levels of calculations. One part of my yard is 16000 sq ft. What is the average size of a yard, what do you consider small, and what do you consider big? I am going to time myself taking my mower off my trailer, weed eating, mowing and putting it back on in the 16000 sq ft section. What could you guys mow that in, and what would you price it for? I know the going rate is $1 a minute but any speculation or suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First off, where did you get a $1 a minute??? An average size yard is about 10000 sq ft, a large is like 25000, and a small is like 2000. having not seen the property, 16000 sq ft with a 48in walk behind, i could mow in a little less than 40 minutes and i would charge $50. That is assuming that there is not a lot of obsticals in my way, and that it is not a steep slope. Back to the $1 a minute, i have found that it is best to look at the whole picture, because you have to think how far away the property is compared to all of the others, for example, one yard could be 25 minutes away, but only late you ten minutes to mow, so in total you would have 35 minutes, but $35 is to expensive. So all in all, price each job taking all variables into consideration!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

large lawn is 2 1/2 acres or more.

medium lawn is 1-1 1/2 acres.

small lawn is 1/4-1/2 acre.

depends on what area of the country you live in. alot on here live in crowded city places where all the yards are tiny. others live out in the country where the yards are huge.

i don't charge less if a house is closer to my house or charge more for one that's farther away. i have set prices based on the size of the yard. even if it's far away i'm still making profit on it. if it's close i'm just making more profit. then again i mow everything within 15min of my house. i don't drive off a long way to do jobs. i stick to a tight area. you lose time and money driving way far off to mow a lawn.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Large Lawn 70acres
Med lawn 10 acres
Small lawn 2.5 acres
quick stop lawn 20,000 sf and smaller

This what I do Like Weeze Said Im in the Midwest smaller city with bigger lawns

That $1.00 per min doesn't always apply If I figured by the min I be at 3-4 dollars per min might be more
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Sponsor

Establish your minimum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOperator View Post
As you guys may know I am just getting started and have been doing some measuring and calculations from my own yard sense it is huge and offers different levels of calculations. One part of my yard is 16000 sq ft. What is the average size of a yard, what do you consider small, and what do you consider big? I am going to time myself taking my mower off my trailer, weed eating, mowing and putting it back on in the 16000 sq ft section. What could you guys mow that in, and what would you price it for? I know the going rate is $1 a minute but any speculation or suggestions are welcome.
With all due respect, throw the going rate out the window of you will become a failed business within a few years.

First calculate your cost per hour based on your equipment, your use-rates, your overhead and your desired profit. $60 an hour may or may not be the right answer. One thing to remember if you do remember anything else. If the "GOING RATE" was right, why are the failure rates for our industry so high?

If you are not sure about your cost per hour of operation check out our bidding manual and our know why you charge what you charge CD at www.profitsareus.com.

Utilizing that information will take the guess-work out of your bidding forever. Call us if you have any questions at 800-845-0499. Being a full service lawn company since 1979, we know what a contractor is looking for, simple, accurate, fast and professional.
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979