Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Thanks Mick, so do you think this would be unrelated to suspension squatting? & more likely the tyre pressure or deck not levelled correctly.

I have had the thought all along that as the wheels are raised the deck raises with the wheels, but I didnt know how successful that would be. Then I saw this guy cutting and assumed it would be set up correctly with even tyre pressures, so that left suspension as the cause. But im hoping its not related to suspension!!
I havent operated one mate so I dont know. All I do know is every SZ Ive had terraced badly.
I would assume that if the deck is connected to the wheels, it "should" follow the contours with the wheels. Problem start when there is low pressure and weight which changes the tires dynamics. Then add how far the deck sticks out from the casters/wheels.
Put it this way, if there were solid casters on all 4 corners of the deck, then you wouldnt get terracing.
But Im only guessing on the Ferris as I havent even seen one operating.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I took a few pictures of a first cut of the season lawn today,went over it twice just to blow the clippings out more it was long and wet if someone texts me there number I can send u them if u could post them for me my number is 810-614-5265, then u guys which are wondering how it cuts can see.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I havent operated one mate so I dont know. All I do know is every SZ Ive had terraced badly.
I would assume that if the deck is connected to the wheels, it "should" follow the contours with the wheels. Problem start when there is low pressure and weight which changes the tires dynamics. Then add how far the deck sticks out from the casters/wheels.
Put it this way, if there were solid casters on all 4 corners of the deck, then you wouldnt get terracing.
But Im only guessing on the Ferris as I havent even seen one operating.
They still terrace badly or they did at one point & you have rectafied it? My SZ and X1 wouldnt terrace badly for all the cutting I have done.

Ive exhausted my options with demos from all my dealers, they wont allow it, now Ive been trying to get in contact with a rep around here and explain why I need to have a demo before purchase. They keep telling me theres no demo model floating around, so if thats the case then I suppose Ill have to wait till there is one. But anyway im just waiting for this rep to call me.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic cuts View Post
I took a few pictures of a first cut of the season lawn today,went over it twice just to blow the clippings out more it was long and wet if someone texts me there number I can send u them if u could post them for me my number is 810-614-5265, then u guys which are wondering how it cuts can see.
Posted via Mobile Device
Be great to see the pics, I dont know if I can txt you being os, plus if I could it might be too expensive for you to send to me. If your able to email Id be happy to post them up.

Be great to see some pics next time your cutting a slope. Cheers
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
They still terrace badly or they did at one point & you have rectafied it?
Still terrace's, its just the norm for me. Cant see a way of fixing it without adding casters to the deck.
Richard Martin did it...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...t=casters+deck
Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Still terrace's, its just the norm for me. Cant see a way of fixing it without adding casters to the deck.
Richard Martin did it...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...t=casters+deck
Haha thats the go.

The only small terracing Ive ever seen I accepted due to being 60" wide. But never had it on a small slope like the one in council pic.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Name:  Slope 3.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  65.2 KB

Not sure if it can be seen but only some of the slope on this property is in the top corners of image.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Name:  Undulation 1.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  Undulation 2.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  77.7 KB

Just wondering how the deck movement may effect the eveness of cut over these grounds. 2 of these pics the grass is cut at 2.5" & lower, so my only concern is if the deck may cut too low on one side due the mower squatting to the side over an undulation. Or whatever the reason may be, im just curious if you have cut slopes & undulations like this or most probably much worse? What results do u get, never any terracing? Cheers
Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those are some nice looking properties man! Ok lemme start off with a little background on my operation experience for you.

I've been in the industry for almost 6 years now, I own my own business now and have worked for two large, reputable companies around here as well. I started off on JD equipment with the first company and worked there for 2.5 years. After I moved over to the second company I was operating Walkers and worked there for the better part of 2 years. So needless to say, I have cut some grass in my short time in the industry.

During my time with the second company, we mowed mainly commercial properties. Walmarts and large areas like them. Being on the edge of the flint hills in Kansas, there is a fair amount of uneven, undulating terrain we have to mow. I will come out and say that in my experience there is not a mower that can cut uneven terrain like a walker. I loved operating them based on the finished look of the property.

Now, this is where the ferris comes in and I'm sorry for the long winded response. I'm trying to reassure that I'm at least somewhat qualified to give my opinion lol. Ferris is, without a doubt the most comfortable mower on uneven, rough terrain that you can get. When my old boss moved from the SD Walkers to the Ferris machines it literally knocked an amazing amount of time off our properties. I'm talking 20-30 min on a 2.5 hour property. Keep in mind, we went from three walkers to two Ferris.

Now to shed some light on your main concern green, the cut. I'll start off by being completely honest and saying that I have never cut a property like you showed in those pictures as low as you described. Around here 3" is about as low as you want to go on our turf. Now, this doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to make it happen, I just don't have any experience with that type of manicured cutting.

Bringing up point number two. The terracing, if you want to call it that. Out of all the hours riding this machine, I can safely say that as long as you have the proper amount of air in your tires, the suspension will do what it is designed to do. Give a good ride, and follow the ground contour. As far as leaning and cutting lower on one side while on hills, I have never experienced anything that would concern me regarding this. Of course it is still a large ztr and you will need to float the deck in certain areas and at different points as you mow. I don't think there is a mower made that will perfectly follow every contour that lies in the grass. I was operating a 72" version, so of course a smaller 61" will have different results I'm sure.

The machine I used had the pre ICD deck on it, and I was not impressed by the finished cut that it left compared to that of the 7 iron deck and walker decks that I had used in the past. However, I hear the ICD deck they have now is a thing of beauty, idk as I have never seen one. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exmark smooth either.

In summary, you won't find a machine that will out cut the Ferris in my opinion. I hear puppy talking about his super z being the ultimate caddilac of the grass world and I have no experience on the new version, but I own a 2010 66" super z with flex forks and suspension seat that came with my business and it doesn't even touch the ferris. In fact it's not even in the same league as far as ride quality goes. I would own own a Ferris in a heartbeat if I could afford one. I priced one this spring out of curiosity and was told 12,500+ before tax. Can't swing that yet.

I hope you get your problems with mowers sorted out with as little headache as possible green.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Those are some nice looking properties man! Ok lemme start off with a little background on my operation experience for you.

I've been in the industry for almost 6 years now, I own my own business now and have worked for two large, reputable companies around here as well. I started off on JD equipment with the first company and worked there for 2.5 years. After I moved over to the second company I was operating Walkers and worked there for the better part of 2 years. So needless to say, I have cut some grass in my short time in the industry.

During my time with the second company, we mowed mainly commercial properties. Walmarts and large areas like them. Being on the edge of the flint hills in Kansas, there is a fair amount of uneven, undulating terrain we have to mow. I will come out and say that in my experience there is not a mower that can cut uneven terrain like a walker. I loved operating them based on the finished look of the property.

Now, this is where the ferris comes in and I'm sorry for the long winded response. I'm trying to reassure that I'm at least somewhat qualified to give my opinion lol. Ferris is, without a doubt the most comfortable mower on uneven, rough terrain that you can get. When my old boss moved from the SD Walkers to the Ferris machines it literally knocked an amazing amount of time off our properties. I'm talking 20-30 min on a 2.5 hour property. Keep in mind, we went from three walkers to two Ferris.

Now to shed some light on your main concern green, the cut. I'll start off by being completely honest and saying that I have never cut a property like you showed in those pictures as low as you described. Around here 3" is about as low as you want to go on our turf. Now, this doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to make it happen, I just don't have any experience with that type of manicured cutting.

Bringing up point number two. The terracing, if you want to call it that. Out of all the hours riding this machine, I can safely say that as long as you have the proper amount of air in your tires, the suspension will do what it is designed to do. Give a good ride, and follow the ground contour. As far as leaning and cutting lower on one side while on hills, I have never experienced anything that would concern me regarding this. Of course it is still a large ztr and you will need to float the deck in certain areas and at different points as you mow. I don't think there is a mower made that will perfectly follow every contour that lies in the grass. I was operating a 72" version, so of course a smaller 61" will have different results I'm sure.

The machine I used had the pre ICD deck on it, and I was not impressed by the finished cut that it left compared to that of the 7 iron deck and walker decks that I had used in the past. However, I hear the ICD deck they have now is a thing of beauty, idk as I have never seen one. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exmark smooth either.

In summary, you won't find a machine that will out cut the Ferris in my opinion. I hear puppy talking about his super z being the ultimate caddilac of the grass world and I have no experience on the new version, but I own a 2010 66" super z with flex forks and suspension seat that came with my business and it doesn't even touch the ferris. In fact it's not even in the same league as far as ride quality goes. I would own own a Ferris in a heartbeat if I could afford one. I priced one this spring out of curiosity and was told 12,500+ before tax. Can't swing that yet.

I hope you get your problems with mowers sorted out with as little headache as possible green.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good on you mate for going out of your way to help like this!

I'm pleased to hear that you never had an issue with terracing on slopes & sounds like you cut some good ones, it seems the deck will work fine in conjunction with the suspension. When you mention keeping a check on air pressure, well that's the same with all ZTRs which tells me the Ferris would be no different to a floating deck with a fixed chassis.

I recently bought a very fast ZTR in order to increase productivity, but I learnt that my properties weren't smooth enough to operate any faster, in fact I had to go slower as the new ZTR was quite a bit worse over rough ground, only that I had 8" wider deck so time stayed relatively the same. So Im also pleased to hear how much time you saved in the old job when switching over to ferris! I will fit this category well & I estimate I will save a similar amount of time to what you did.

I think Ive seen a few guys on here quoting around 10-10.5k for a 3100, its a shame you weren't offered a little better price, I could be wrong. But hopefully before too long youll be able to get back onto a Ferris. Well done on getting to a stage of operating your own bus!

Thanks again for your help!