Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2010, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Convertible Mower?

Fairly new to the business and am looking to upgrade my mower. Several of my clients have areas that I cannot access very well with a ride-on mower and I find myself spending a lot of time with either a trimmer or push mower. I ran across this mower from Rich Mfg. called the Convertible Mower which appears to convert easily from a ZTR to a hydro Walk Behind in a matter of seconds.
This would surely save a bunch of money rather than buying a walk-behind and a ZTR, not to mention the room on the trailer and the load/unload time.
My concern is that I have never seen one, do not know of anyone around who has used one, and am having a problem finding a dealer anywhere around here who has one.
I also cannot find out much information or reviews about them.
If anyone has used one commercially, I would be very interested to hear what you have to say about this mower and the company.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get a stander. Forget a convertable mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2010, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah that thing looks stupid... get something proven
Old 12-16-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The whole idea of that mower is a great concept however I have never seen one being used anywhere. I'd question the quality of the mower and the performance of the mowing deck.

Like a previous poster had pointed out, you may want to consider a stand-on mower. They are has productive as a ztr and as nimble as a walkbehind. They are compact and can mow hills pretty well. Many companies make a stand-on mower such as, Wright, Toro, Exmark, Scag, John Deere, etc.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-08-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I know this is an old thread, but this is for new people who searched for "convertible mower." I bought one. I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. The idea is simple, they are well built, work flawlessly, easier on your knees than sulks or standons and are priced fairly. My favorite mower.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

In the spirit of reviving old threads I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I bought a 61" convertible in 2010. All and all it has been a positive experience.

Having a mower that is a walk behind and a ride on is great. I don't need the walk behind feature much but when I do it is irreplaceable. This mower does well on residential type turf. You would be wise to keep it off of very bumpy properties.

I would not recommend it if it is your only mower and you are putting hundreds of hours on it per year. I use mine as a back up and most of my accounts are residential/ condos, etc. It currently has just over 800 hours. Several smaller pieces that hold the deck in place have broken and or worn out. As with any mower it is wise to have spare parts. With this one it is essential. Having a welder is a big help too. The factory ships out quickly and is helpful so I only have had to wait 2 business days for parts, if I didn't stock them ahead.

All and all I recommend the mower for its niche and will definitely consider another one if my needs are the same when my current one wears out.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMichigan View Post
In the spirit of reviving old threads I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I bought a 61" convertible in 2010. All and all it has been a positive experience.

Having a mower that is a walk behind and a ride on is great. I don't need the walk behind feature much but when I do it is irreplaceable. This mower does well on residential type turf. You would be wise to keep it off of very bumpy properties.

I would not recommend it if it is your only mower and you are putting hundreds of hours on it per year. -snip-
Well that sort of defeats Rich mfg's entire shpeal of having more than one mower. I was looking at one a month ago and it was really more than what I am looking for. But it's concept is really good. I bet it's convertible use is somewhere around 95/5 rider/walker. But like you said that time when you walked with it, well, pure profit.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

That is true. I should attach my resume/ back story to my signature...

I have been in the business a long time and I am a bit paranoid regarding equipment breakage. I never want to be in a situation where I cannot service clients because of broken equipment so I have a back-up for nearly everything.

Perhaps I should say that if you are going to run this as your only mower, make sure you have a back-up plan when it breaks. This would hold true for any brand. The convertible does have some weaker points to it so if you are pushing it on bumpy properties it will likely break before some other brands would.

However, I would buy one again knowing this because it has a very unique niche.