Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Green Up- PLEASE HELP

I am currently experiencing that my tall fescue/bluegrass lawn, 4 years old, is in need or repair from old thatch and minimul dead spots. It is also not so green as it once was when it was young. My plan is either hit the lawn with some ammonia mix or synthetic quick fertilizer OR plant some quickly germinating Perennial RYE seed.

I do have some thin struggling areas in the lawn so new growth would help thicken up and bring the green if I planted Rye. Would germinate in about 3 to 4 days and the weather here is high 70-to a high temp of 81 and showers every other day. Not a bad time here to plant.

The downside of planting the rye seed is I wouldnt be able to fertilize the yellowing grass for a few weeks.

What would you guys do. The weather here is unseasonably cool and perfect so although it seems as if I am late in the season to plant, thats not an issue.

Fertilizer and seed with both run about the same price and both are not a problem of time and or work involving their application.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a soil test first.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spring is not the best time to seed...fall when temps drop below 85 is about right...say about August 20th for your area. Did you apply crabgrass control in spring? If so--it would block germination of any new seed. Fertilizer would not interfere with new seed--no need to worry.
Remember last week's weather does not predict next week's weather--on average, weather will be average for the same week in previous years.
Perennial ryegrass comes up quick and the top varieties are dark green...however...rye does not do well, and becomes disease susceptible if temps rise above 90, say if you are south of Cincinnati. Gray leaf spot and red thread are often a problem--particularly if you have humid summers.

Regular feeding of a high quality fertilizer is a good bet--along with application of irrigation to equal 1-inch per week.

Your other option is a top-quality tall fescue/bluegrass blend. Suited to warm climates.
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=bgm

In either case you will get better "take" of the seed if you have it professionally slit seeded, as the seed is placed directly into the soil. And new seed requires a lot of water--Irrigation every day for 30 days.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I believe out weather here is in the 68-81 temps for the next two weeks and I do have a sprinkler system so watering is NEVER a problem. I usually do NOT like to apply any crab grass killer or other chemicals, just my home made potion once in a while. I use ammonia, beer, soda, and it used to work great, but three weeks ago I put too much ammonia thinking, MORE GREEN, and it killed all my new seed, which was about 4 or 6 weeks old. The seed, like the rest of the lawn is Tall Fescue/Bluegrass. So, now I have a limish green color and all my overseeding young grass was killed by the overpowering ammonia.

Im skitzing for that lush green again and just thought a quick perennial rye would germinate quick and help me out.

I am located east of Philadelphia.

What do you guys recommend. My cut height is 3-31/2 with a mulching blade a nice 33 inch walk behind mower.