Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo View Post
Do you turn a profit before or after you pay your taxes and insurance? By the way, the average unemployment rate for recent college graduates is around 25%. It's tough out there. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
I turn a profit, anything before taxes and insurance and all my other payments is just revenue. I don't plan on ever getting employed at the moment. Just live on Ramen and bread for 5 years and start my own business. And if I change my mind, I'll just go get a phd, the employment rate for engineers with a phd is extremely high, especially in my area with GE right around the corner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Do you turn a profit before or after you pay your taxes and insurance? By the way, the average unemployment rate for recent college graduates is around 25%. It's tough out there. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
I turn a profit, anything before taxes and insurance and all my other payments is just revenue. I don't plan on ever getting employed at the moment. Just live on Ramen and bread for 5 years and start my own business. And if I change my mind, I'll just go get a phd, the employment rate for engineers with a phd is extremely high, especially in my area with GE right around the corner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLawnServices View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering from Penn State. Had it paid for by Uncle Sam and fellow taxpayers (thanks) via the GI Bill. To get a doctorate, that's big bucks and probably about 800 bucks at least per month for student loan payments. Nothing like having your own business. A job with a company won't pay you like landscaping can of you play your cards right. Looking back, as long as one can hustle and run a business, school may have been a waste of time for me, although its a good plan B because you can always go back and get a regular job again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering from Penn State. Had it paid for by Uncle Sam and fellow taxpayers (thanks) via the GI Bill. To get a doctorate, that's big bucks and probably about 800 bucks at least per month for student loan payments. Nothing like having your own business. A job with a company won't pay you like landscaping can of you play your cards right. Looking back, as long as one can hustle and run a business, school may have been a waste of time for me, although its a good plan B because you can always go back and get a regular job again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Servicemen readjustment act ftw. Thanks for serving. My mission is to graduate with as little debt as possible. So instead of going to Cornell and paying tons, I'll go to a good school, just not an ivy (custodial school). Scholarship essays ftw. Also I'm getting an MBA, so that'll help. I'm not sure what kind of business I want I start, maybe it'll have some relevance to lawns, hardscapingnor construction, probably engineering consulting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Landscaping View Post
So for a 13,000 sq ft mow trim and blow would be 70.00 - is this right?
A person would starve to death in my area waiting to get customers willing to pay that. Maybe in 5 years after gas has gone to 20 dollars a gallon.If a person must charge that to turn even a small profit, they maybe need to look at reducing expenses.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

when you say charge so much for 3k sq.ft. Do you charge for just the turf area or the lot size?