Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 AM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
No problem man! That's what this place is for
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Those are some nice looking properties man! Ok lemme start off with a little background on my operation experience for you.

I've been in the industry for almost 6 years now, I own my own business now and have worked for two large, reputable companies around here as well. I started off on JD equipment with the first company and worked there for 2.5 years. After I moved over to the second company I was operating Walkers and worked there for the better part of 2 years. So needless to say, I have cut some grass in my short time in the industry.

During my time with the second company, we mowed mainly commercial properties. Walmarts and large areas like them. Being on the edge of the flint hills in Kansas, there is a fair amount of uneven, undulating terrain we have to mow. I will come out and say that in my experience there is not a mower that can cut uneven terrain like a walker. I loved operating them based on the finished look of the property.

Now, this is where the ferris comes in and I'm sorry for the long winded response. I'm trying to reassure that I'm at least somewhat qualified to give my opinion lol. Ferris is, without a doubt the most comfortable mower on uneven, rough terrain that you can get. When my old boss moved from the SD Walkers to the Ferris machines it literally knocked an amazing amount of time off our properties. I'm talking 20-30 min on a 2.5 hour property. Keep in mind, we went from three walkers to two Ferris.

Now to shed some light on your main concern green, the cut. I'll start off by being completely honest and saying that I have never cut a property like you showed in those pictures as low as you described. Around here 3" is about as low as you want to go on our turf. Now, this doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to make it happen, I just don't have any experience with that type of manicured cutting.

Bringing up point number two. The terracing, if you want to call it that. Out of all the hours riding this machine, I can safely say that as long as you have the proper amount of air in your tires, the suspension will do what it is designed to do. Give a good ride, and follow the ground contour. As far as leaning and cutting lower on one side while on hills, I have never experienced anything that would concern me regarding this. Of course it is still a large ztr and you will need to float the deck in certain areas and at different points as you mow. I don't think there is a mower made that will perfectly follow every contour that lies in the grass. I was operating a 72" version, so of course a smaller 61" will have different results I'm sure.

The machine I used had the pre ICD deck on it, and I was not impressed by the finished cut that it left compared to that of the 7 iron deck and walker decks that I had used in the past. However, I hear the ICD deck they have now is a thing of beauty, idk as I have never seen one. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exmark smooth either.

In summary, you won't find a machine that will out cut the Ferris in my opinion. I hear puppy talking about his super z being the ultimate caddilac of the grass world and I have no experience on the new version, but I own a 2010 66" super z with flex forks and suspension seat that came with my business and it doesn't even touch the ferris. In fact it's not even in the same league as far as ride quality goes. I would own own a Ferris in a heartbeat if I could afford one. I priced one this spring out of curiosity and was told 12,500+ before tax. Can't swing that yet.

I hope you get your problems with mowers sorted out with as little headache as possible green.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the great review!!! When I demoed(ICD version) I felt a lot of deck movement, especially on side hills and rough terrain(wash board) but all the time. Did you feel any of this? Here in NH we have a lot of hills so hillside stability is a big concern for me. I didn't like the feeling of the heavy deck mowing, to me it took away from the over feel of the machine. I did not get any scalping as I know that is a concern of Greenology.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 AM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thanks for the great review!!! When I demoed(ICD version) I felt a lot of deck movement, especially on side hills and rough terrain(wash board) but all the time. Did you feel any of this? Here in NH we have a lot of hills so hillside stability is a big concern for me. I didn't like the feeling of the heavy deck mowing, to me it took away from the over feel of the machine. I did not get any scalping as I know that is a concern of Greenology.
Just to help me get an idea, to compare from cutting here to there, how low would you be cutting GMLC when you weren't getting any scalping? Im not sure what your grasses are like etc but I get the impression you don't cut too low to the ground, although there must be times you need a nice low cut?

The town I live in is Castle Hill, which is part of the Hills District, as the name suggests this area is nothing less than hills, so lots of "not level" cutting for me.

I often cut on steep slopes, so it will be interesting to compare the ferris on stability compared with others.

Not too sure what you mean by heavy deck mowing tho, hope you don't mind explaining
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Just to help me get an idea, to compare from cutting here to there, how low would you be cutting GMLC when you weren't getting any scalping? Im not sure what your grasses are like etc but I get the impression you don't cut too low to the ground, although there must be times you need a nice low cut?

The town I live in is Castle Hill, which is part of the Hills District, as the name suggests this area is nothing less than hills, so lots of "not level" cutting for me.

I often cut on steep slopes, so it will be interesting to compare the ferris on stability compared with others.

Not too sure what you mean by heavy deck mowing tho, hope you don't mind explaining
Cool season grasses here so we never cut below 3". I felt the cutting deck itself moved a lot and didnt feel tight. Which concerned me for two reasons. 1. Cut quality, considering something like 1/4" pitch makes a huge difference. 2. The deck moving around is a lot of shifting weight which will affect the handling of the machine especially on hill sides.

Please dont get me wrong. Ferris and Snapper Pro were still both on my short list until I found exactly what I was looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thanks for the great review!!! When I demoed(ICD version) I felt a lot of deck movement, especially on side hills and rough terrain(wash board) but all the time. Did you feel any of this? Here in NH we have a lot of hills so hillside stability is a big concern for me. I didn't like the feeling of the heavy deck mowing, to me it took away from the over feel of the machine. I did not get any scalping as I know that is a concern of Greenology.
I didn't notice any more of this than with any other z. As far as hill stability, I would put the 3100 up against anything. It will hold hills up to the point of not feeling safe. I'm talking flipping it over sideways not sliding down hill. I wish I had pictures of the Walmart I used to mow. The slope seriously approached every bit of 50 degrees at some points. I have actually tipped a 62" sd walker over on this same slope, threw me off and I rolled down the hill on my arse. Luckily the machine stayed upright and the hydros kept it from running down the hill after me, it kind of just slid down slow and controlled.

I would trust the 3100 on any slope that you can physically mow with a rider.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 06-16-2013, 09:53 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Not too sure what you mean by heavy deck mowing tho, hope you don't mind explaining
Oops meant "moving" not "mowing"
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 06-16-2013, 06:22 PM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Cool season grasses here so we never cut below 3". I felt the cutting deck itself moved a lot and didnt feel tight. Which concerned me for two reasons. 1. Cut quality, considering something like 1/4" pitch makes a huge difference. 2. The deck moving around is a lot of shifting weight which will affect the handling of the machine especially on hill sides.

Please dont get me wrong. Ferris and Snapper Pro were still both on my short list until I found exactly what I was looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device
I see what you mean! Something I will pay attention to when demo is how it feels with deck movement, for curiosity if nothing else. Hopefully I wont have any extra deck movement when cutting bellow 3", it shouldn't make any diff I don't think. Anything that may scalp bellow 3" is the same that would cut unevenly at 3". One day soon I will be able to test and answer all my own questions!
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 06-16-2013, 06:27 PM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I didn't notice any more of this than with any other z. As far as hill stability, I would put the 3100 up against anything. It will hold hills up to the point of not feeling safe. I'm talking flipping it over sideways not sliding down hill. I wish I had pictures of the Walmart I used to mow. The slope seriously approached every bit of 50 degrees at some points. I have actually tipped a 62" sd walker over on this same slope, threw me off and I rolled down the hill on my arse. Luckily the machine stayed upright and the hydros kept it from running down the hill after me, it kind of just slid down slow and controlled.

I would trust the 3100 on any slope that you can physically mow with a rider.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think technically the suspension should give better hillside stability, which supports what you say. In the world of cars & atv's Im certain they will hold a hill better with suspension than without. No difference for a ZTR IMO.

You were lucky to get out of that incident without being hurt!
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 06-16-2013, 06:27 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I see what you mean! Something I will pay attention to when demo is how it feels with deck movement, for curiosity if nothing else. Hopefully I wont have any extra deck movement when cutting bellow 3", it shouldn't make any diff I don't think. Anything that may scalp bellow 3" is the same that would cut unevenly at 3". One day soon I will be able to test and answer all my own questions!
I cant wait for your review. They are great machines!! Most of the major manufacturers have now gone to hanging their decks with control rods instead of chains. This helps prevent unwanted deck movement or sway on hillsides.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
I didn't notice any more of this than with any other z. As far as hill stability, I would put the 3100 up against anything. It will hold hills up to the point of not feeling safe. I'm talking flipping it over sideways not sliding down hill. I wish I had pictures of the Walmart I used to mow. The slope seriously approached every bit of 50 degrees at some points. I have actually tipped a 62" sd walker over on this same slope, threw me off and I rolled down the hill on my arse. Luckily the machine stayed upright and the hydros kept it from running down the hill after me, it kind of just slid down slow and controlled.

I would trust the 3100 on any slope that you can physically mow with a rider.
Posted via Mobile Device
I mow a interstate embankment for a on off to the interstate, I found my 72 better than a 60 for this. My 60 could turn over but the wide stance of the 72 just slides with none of that going over stuff. I am sure it could if circumstances were right.

For mowing steep inclines alot the drive on the new Hustler with high torque wheel motors like in the ATZ setup would by far be the most durable powerful set up but the new Hustler is over 200 pounds heavier and taller so it screwed that one up a bit.

Height and weight are major enemies when doing slopes. That new Hustler 72 weighs 1600 pounds. What a pig of a mower, I like a simple design and a Ferris is a beautiful mower but I do real industrial jobs and it is a bit more complicated than I like.

I would have boughten the new Super but all the extra weight I did not like and a Big Block Carb model will run the gas bill up quick and the height of the machine also.

The last thing I would want to find out after buying a 72 Hyper Hustler is that it won't cut as steep of slopes because of weight and height and also gets stuck more because of more weight so I decided not to chance it and I am going to update my old Super so I can keep the more agile chasses. If I showed a ZTR dealer what I was using a mower to do they would not do a demo, I would have to sneak it by them, so better to just not take a chance on a 11,000 $ mistake.

How much does a Ferris 72 weigh?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.10172 seconds with 10 queries