Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Im still a little confused and new to this, so can you explain the benefits of mulching and the benefits of side discharge. Honestly it seems that with the mulching blades there is a white or light yellow haze to the overall top of my lawn now. The lawn is about 5 years old and is a tall fescue blue grass mix. Mostly Tall Fescue and the blades are rather wide so when they arent cut nice and clean, they tear and leave this haze after im done. It seems to be worst when I use the gator mulching blades.

If I try side-discahrge, am I going to wind up with a big pile in the center of my lawn. Can I increase the drive speed and mow faster with side-discharge. Would you recommend two passes on the yard as well.

Would you recommend switching the side discharge lift blades with the mulchers every once in a while?

Right now I am chancing a rye seed overseed to help green up. I sprayed my lawn with an over powered Ammonia green up liquid fertilizer and it killed all my spring over seed fescue and really yellowed my established fescue. I just dropped some perennial rye about 20 minutes ago hoping for a quick green up and am afraid to cut my lawn for a week so the seeds can take. Any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Also worried abut how I can green up my established but yellowed fescue. I am thinking in about two weeks after the rye strarts to germinate, I can hit the lawn with some type of fertilizer. Maybe synthetic with weed control. I have some clover starting in the back and another section of some type of leafy weed in the front so I think I need something BUT, the last thing I need is my grass to yellow even more.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In most cases the gator blades are intended to be used while side discharging. They still produce a finer clipping than a straight blade, they just done have to pulverize the clippings as in a plugged mulching system. In a nutshell, try discharging with them. And you can probably get some forward pitch by playing with the air pressure in the tires.

And if you can mulch in about 15 minutes, discharging should take 10-12.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I'm running with the plug in. I thought this was the way the gator blades were supposed to run. So take the plug out?? Ok what's forward pitch do? I am about 1/8 to 1/4 I'd have to really inflate the rear tires Again what's the purpose of forward pitch
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan82775 View Post
Well I'm running with the plug in. I thought this was the way the gator blades were supposed to run. So take the plug out?? Ok what's forward pitch do? I am about 1/8 to 1/4 I'd have to really inflate the rear tires Again what's the purpose of forward pitch
Posted via Mobile Device
Forward pitch allows the leading edge to engage and cut the grass. If the blade is level it will create more drag on the engine, and use more fuel to boot. I've read up to about 10% more fuel consumed.

One quick and dirty blade check is to pull the machine backward (or use reverse if applicable). and see if it cuts better backward (illustrating that the blades are pitched the wrong direction.)

Alas, I think most of this is unneeded in your case. Try pulling the mulch plug while running those gators. I think you'll be happy with the results. This is after all the chosen technique of the majority of pros.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

So with both my lift blade and my gator mulchers you suggest side dispense and not using the mulch plug. Honestly I thought the plug allowed the gators to work with the vacuum created from the help of the plug I also want to know what guys do who side dispense. Do they eventually have a pile of grass to rake?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You NEED air moving out of the cutting area (OUT from under the deck) to create vacuum to stand the grass up. This will help to achieve a clean cut (assuming your blades are sharp) to AVOID that brownish haze on the tips of your grass blades resulting from tearing/mulching. Mulching just beats your turf up, imho.

Will recommend you contact your State Extension office for a better idea of how to care for your lawn...and WHEN to do the proper steps. You are doing too much and want results too quickly.
~Wait until early Sept to seed and fertilize.
~Fertilize again in in mid-late Oct.
~Early Spring fertilizer is not necessary and results in too much top growth.
~A vigorously growing lawn doesn't mean it is a healthy lawn.
~Turf NEEDS SOME STRESS to be healthy...so don't baby it by over-watering or over-treating it with fertilizers/etc, especially at the wrong times of the year.

My State Extension office offers a weekly E-newsletter that I've read for several years now. They aren't trying to SELL anything...so this info is intended to help one to help themself with lawn/garden/landscaping questions/situations. I don't know if your State Extension office offers something like this, but my guess is you'll at least be able to research their archives for whatever issue you wish to address.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan82775 View Post
So with both my lift blade and my gator mulchers you suggest side dispense and not using the mulch plug. Honestly I thought the plug allowed the gators to work with the vacuum created from the help of the plug I also want to know what guys do who side dispense. Do they eventually have a pile of grass to rake?
Posted via Mobile Device
Side-discharging:
I'll mow 2 or 3 border lanes around the lawn directing the clippings inward. (You can do this around any beds you're overly concerned with as well.) From here I'll just stripe the lawn with back&forth mowing. No bagging necessary.

I do mulch leaves in November with Gator blades.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

ok, ill go back to the lift blades. and keep the gator blades for the leaves. I should probably have them sharpened razor sharp huh? I have a very flat lawn with no high spots or rock ect.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Razor sharp is unnecessary...they will dull way to quickly. Just an edge is adequate. Some around here even square off the edge to a small degree.

The Gators will work fine and further shred the discharge...but since you're mowing 2x/week your discharge will be a lot less than mowing 1x/week.
Good luck!
~ Josh Billings