Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I mow a interstate embankment for a on off to the interstate, I found my 72 better than a 60 for this. My 60 could turn over but the wide stance of the 72 just slides with none of that going over stuff. I am sure it could if circumstances were right.

For mowing steep inclines alot the drive on the new Hustler with high torque wheel motors like in the ATZ setup would by far be the most durable powerful set up but the new Hustler is over 200 pounds heavier and taller so it screwed that one up a bit.

Height and weight are major enemies when doing slopes. That new Hustler 72 weighs 1600 pounds. What a pig of a mower, I like a simple design and a Ferris is a beautiful mower but I do real industrial jobs and it is a bit more complicated than I like.

I would have boughten the new Super but all the extra weight I did not like and a Big Block Carb model will run the gas bill up quick and the height of the machine also.

The last thing I would want to find out after buying a 72 Hyper Hustler is that it won't cut as steep of slopes because of weight and height and also gets stuck more because of more weight so I decided not to chance it and I am going to update my old Super so I can keep the more agile chasses. If I showed a ZTR dealer what I was using a mower to do they would not do a demo, I would have to sneak it by them, so better to just not take a chance on a 11,000 $ mistake.

How much does a Ferris 72 weigh?
Yeah the machine I used was a 72". The 61" very well may do far worse on hills, I have no idea. My only complaint was with the 32 vanguard. Alot of power, but it burned alot of fuel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Obviously you really liked it?, Their are no Ferris dealers in my town but a pawn shop locally had one for sale and I looked it over. Real nice mower for sure.it was a 3100 I believe 61 water cooled Kaw I think?

The suspension was trick for a mower, now where in the range of the suspension on one of my MOTO X bikes however.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 06-16-2013, 10:37 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Obviously you really liked it?, Their are no Ferris dealers in my town but a pawn shop locally had one for sale and I looked it over. Real nice mower for sure.it was a 3100 I believe 61 water cooled Kaw I think?

The suspension was trick for a mower, now where in the range of the suspension on one of my MOTO X bikes however.
Yep I liked it tremendously. A little costly to operate because of fuel use, but at the same time you could get things done quicker because of the lack of slowing to a crawl for rough terrain. As in everything there are positives and negatives, but to me the positives
outweigh the negatives for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 AM
williams lcm williams lcm is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 766
Yup you don't slow down for bumps. I got back on my deer last week and it is like night and day between the two units. The ferris just so smooth and the deer such a rough ride.
People on here says just to get a suspension seat. Let me tell you that the seat helps a tad. But a true amazing ride required a full suspension and a suspension seat. That my friends will give you an ultimate ride that a fixed frame unit with flex forks a suspension seat will never match.

Last edited by williams lcm; 06-17-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
All the properties here in this town are for the most part smooth, neither my Deere or Scag TT rode near as well as my XR7 Super Z's and I can go full stick with those so I don't think the Ferris would help me.

That is probably why there is no dealer here locally, the mower is probably over kill for here?
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 AM
buckhtr77 buckhtr77 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Trenton IL
Posts: 33
I just bought a 3100 61 inch with 36 HP. Dealer gave me same price for 36 as 32. I absolutely love the machine. I used to cut with a Ferris Comfort Control DD 25 HP 52 inch with a Bull Rider. While the walk behind is a tremendous machine in it's own right, the rider is where it's at for me. I cut almost 3 acres of grass and mow another 2ish acres every other week in my subdivision. I have some bumpy areas in my yard and some real bumpy areas in the subdivision. Using the walk behind wasn't fun with my back. I now can mow my yard and blow off driveway and sidewalks in right @ an hour. The rider has been a big time saver and it's so nice to ride. I can compare with my father's Kubota rider, it rides like a log wagon. Comparing the 2, there is no comparison, the Kubota will throw your A$$ off and the bumps go right up your spine. The cut with the Ferris is very nice as well.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Yup you don't slow down for bumps. I got back on my deer last week and it is like night and day between the two units. The ferris just so smooth and the deer such a rough ride.
People on here says just to get a suspension seat. Let me tell you that the seat helps a tad. But a true amazing ride required a full suspension and a suspension seat. That my friends will give you an ultimate ride that a fixed frame unit with flex forks a suspension seat will never match.
Yea mate, these ppl claiming sus seat is good enough, just don't operate on rough enough ground to know the difference
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhtr77 View Post
I just bought a 3100 61 inch with 36 HP. Dealer gave me same price for 36 as 32. I absolutely love the machine. I used to cut with a Ferris Comfort Control DD 25 HP 52 inch with a Bull Rider. While the walk behind is a tremendous machine in it's own right, the rider is where it's at for me. I cut almost 3 acres of grass and mow another 2ish acres every other week in my subdivision. I have some bumpy areas in my yard and some real bumpy areas in the subdivision. Using the walk behind wasn't fun with my back. I now can mow my yard and blow off driveway and sidewalks in right @ an hour. The rider has been a big time saver and it's so nice to ride. I can compare with my father's Kubota rider, it rides like a log wagon. Comparing the 2, there is no comparison, the Kubota will throw your A$$ off and the bumps go right up your spine. The cut with the Ferris is very nice as well.
An old log wagon! this is a good description

I too may well get a Ferris soon, to replace my old log wagon.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM
buckhtr77 buckhtr77 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Trenton IL
Posts: 33
After using my father's Kubota for several hours I'll take the Ferris every time. A suspension is the way to go. If you're concerned about time, I would think the suspension would serve you well as you're not having to slow down so much over the bumpy stuff. The 3100 is built very well. I'll never wear mine out. My mower is used for my own residential purposes. I don't mow commercially. I've found when buying stuff like mowers you might as well buy something made for commercial use, it makes life so much easier. Yes, it's more expensive up front but the ease/time savings/comfort is well worth it.

I plan on lending the Ferris to my Dad to try out on his property. I think once he rides the Ferris he may want to switch. He's in love with the diesel and stated he absolutely wants a diesel. The Ferris diesel is quite pricey.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 AM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhtr77 View Post
After using my father's Kubota for several hours I'll take the Ferris every time. A suspension is the way to go. If you're concerned about time, I would think the suspension would serve you well as you're not having to slow down so much over the bumpy stuff. The 3100 is built very well. I'll never wear mine out. My mower is used for my own residential purposes. I don't mow commercially. I've found when buying stuff like mowers you might as well buy something made for commercial use, it makes life so much easier. Yes, it's more expensive up front but the ease/time savings/comfort is well worth it.

I plan on lending the Ferris to my Dad to try out on his property. I think once he rides the Ferris he may want to switch. He's in love with the diesel and stated he absolutely wants a diesel. The Ferris diesel is quite pricey.
Yeah the ferris diesel is sooo expensive. I'm sure it's an awesome machine, but you can get so much with the gas machine that I can't justify paying for the diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Page generated in 0.08226 seconds with 10 queries