Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

When do homeowners resign contracts?

Looking to expand my business this year. However kinda got started a little late. My mulching jobs still keep coming in, but mowing jobs are hard to come by. My question is when do these companies that have contracts resign? Also how much is it to back out of a contract.... just thinking ahead for next year or maybe this year if the current lawn care provider isn't doing a good job. Any hints or tips would be appreciated
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

most homeowners arent under a contract.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Agreed with Marshmallow, most home owners are not under a contract. The best thing you can do is to continue to put your name out there and do good work. In the late winter, start getting some advertising together to put out in prospective neighborhoods. Also start advertising in the end of summer for fall cleanups, I know up there in Maryland there are a lot of leaves come that time. When you get those cleanup jobs, do a good job and while you're there, mention that you cut grass and tell the customer what you would charge them to do it, even if they aren't interested, when you give them a number to go off of, it's in the back of their head. If/when they decide to hire someone, you will be the first one they think of. That's my 2 cents. If you're looking for a good inexpensive type of advertising, look into mass mailing postcards, or even cheaper design some cheap door hangers and hang them on people's doors, just don't mess with mailboxes, I've heard of plenty of people getting into trouble with mailboxes. One last note, in the process of expanding, don't over extend yourself with equipment. If you can do it all with a good 48" walkbehind, a push mower, an edger, a trimmer, and a blower, stick with that equipment til you can afford to purchase bigger better machines. And always remember just because you have a job today, doesn't mean you'll have it tomorrow, there's plenty of customers that you will never satisfy no matter how hard you try and they aren't worth the hassle. Good luck!
2014 Kubota SVL90 CTL
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z X-series
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z E-series
2013 eXmark Commercial 30"
Echo/Stihl peripherals
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Sponsor

Service agreements

We utilize and on-going service agreement with our clients. After they sign the first time, it is ongoing from season to season. Either party can cancel with a pre-determinded cancellation time period such as 30, 60 or 90 days.

We also have a clause in there that states they will be notified by February of the year the service is to be provided if there is a change in service fee from one year to the next. This is a great opportunity to collect your pre-pays as well.

We have a CD that has many different service contract templates on it that are easily customizable to fit your company. Check it out at www.profitsareus.com
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979
Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

contract? Shoot, I don't even call my customers at the beginning of the season to ask if I can mow again. They just expect me to show up, and I always have. Of course, I've spent years building that reliability so it goes a long way.