Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

New Raptor vs 2004 Scag?

I'm a homeowner mowing 1.5 acres, no hills and not many obstacles (any more). I'm looking at buying a new Hustler 52" Raptor with a 23HP Kawasaki engine - tip speed on that mower is 16,600 and has 3 blades in a fabricated deck. Although a new offering I think it is considered a best buy for an entry level homeowner machine.

But available locally is a 2004 Scag 52" Tiger Cub with K 21HP engine with 1400 hours. Advertised as "cuts and runs like it should". I know it's a hard question to answer and I'm not looking for a "Get the X over the Y" but more the pros and cons of buying a newer $3K residential grade Hustler compared to the $2600 used commercial grade mower. I'm leaning toward the Raptor just to steer away from the unknowns of a used mower (mainly the engine - I can fix a nything on the mower I am a fabricator myself) but any thoughts for me to mull over would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I would go with the new one. At 1400hrs depends on how it was treated you could loose a pump and/or wheel motor sometime in the future $60-$700+ repair to think about. At least you would have a 3yr warranty with new one. Or keep looking for a lower hour used machine.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would also go with a new mower. The other one is 10 years old. Maintenance could prove to be quite expensive.

Btw, I have a 2013 Fastrak Super Duty 48" with mulch kit/Gator blades/Flex forks and it does a superb job at mulching/cutting. And the customer service from Hustler is absolutely great. On top of that, the dealer I bought it from is also first-class.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I was leaning toward the raptor mostly because of the newness (warranty). But it has a 3 blade system and while I like the part about overlap so as not to leave that annoying strip as easily as a 2 blade, the tip speed is nly 16,6 compared to the 19+ of the scag. I guess it's not that big a deal since I'm not using it to earn a living. Will probably do fine for my needs. Fixing to go get it right now. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I've only cut 2 acres with it but I have to say so far I love it. I'm not used to being able to edge with a mower because the JD models I had in the past did not cut beyond the outside of the wheel, and I was always rubbing the tire on trees and fence posts, but this wider cut is awesome.

As to the mower itself, the Kawasaki engine just sounds and feels beefier than the B&S on the JD's I had, and the build quality is an order of magnitude better than the residential model JD's I had. And it mows the grass in one pass. Even with sharp blades on the JDs I would have to either go very slow or make a second pass. The Raptor is cutting it level in one pass.

So far so good. I will give an update in a month or so.