Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I soon will be in with a new dealer who will sell me close to he's cost he is on the up and up he said that a $20 lawn mower blade cost him $4 the mark up was outrageous and needs me help him on the side.I may need a 36 HP Vanguard LOL.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
I soon will be in with a new dealer who will sell me close to he's cost he is on the up and up he said that a $20 lawn mower blade cost him $4 the mark up was outrageous and needs me help him on the side.I may need a 36 HP Vanguard LOL.
That could be true in the case of some Oregon blades. Their MSRP is ridiculous sometimes. However for a Ferris, Scag or other OEM blade it wont be the case.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
That could be true in the case of some Oregon blades. Their MSRP is ridiculous sometimes. However for a Ferris, Scag or other OEM blade it wont be the case.
He's pushing Kawasaki Engine but he is new so it will be a sum time to get all set up and going and he is thinking of going with Scag as one of he's brand. As for the OEM blades the other dealer sold me $10 a blade do think he paid more than $4 or $5 for them ? The same for a OEM HYDRO GEAR 52114 OIL FILTER one dealer price was $21. The same dealer sold me the blades price was $10 so I got all he had was only 4 .The mark up on Engine was no't as must as I hoping for but give you a idea say the MSRP was $2,100 he get it for $1,400.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

BLADES ICD deck: 2013 Ferris IS3100 61" 36 HP

Ok, confuse me some more. I see the discussion on the 5101755 blades vs. the 5020842 blades. My parts book lists the 5101755 for the ICD deck. My dealer gave me an extra set as part of the deal but gave me the 5020842 blades which are still in the box.

I guess the lift on the 5101755 is greater but thickness, etc. is the same. Should I take the 502's back and demand the 5101755's. The 502's may have been before the ICD deck came out but does the extra lift matter and should I ask for the 5101755 as that is what my parts lists shows for my mower? Please help as I just discovered the discrepancy and need to change blades soon.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I just re-read a previous post on the 5101755 vs. 5020842 and it looks as though the 5101755 are a tad thicker in addition to a wider and higher lift. So, what to do with my dealer and does this matter.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnie Parker View Post
Has anyone tried the Sunbelt aftermarket blades on their Ferris mower and tested the quality and longevity vs the OEM blades?

We have found that the OEM Ferris blades seem to stay sharp longer than any other blades we have tried, which include the Gator Magnum G5 and G6 Fusion blades... and the medium lift and extreme high lift from Oregon (non-Fusion). We could not even get through an entire day of cutting with the non-Fusion blades. The OEM blades also cut the best.

The Ferris blades are expensive and we haven't found anywhere to buy them at what we consider a reasonable price. We can get the G6 blades for about $15 each shipped if we buy enough of them at one time, but it seems the Ferris blades are closer to $20 each.
Fisher Barton makes blades for Snapper Pro/Ferris, Sunbelt and John Deere (who owns Sunbelt). All coming out of the same plant. Usually just the finish is different.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

The OEMs are Marbain steel so compare that to the others. Maybe FB produces some cheaper blades?? The Marbain will last the longest which I think is the difference between the OEMs and some of the aftermarket but not sure which ones.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
The OEMs are Marbain steel so compare that to the others. Maybe FB produces some cheaper blades?? The Marbain will last the longest which I think is the difference between the OEMs and some of the aftermarket but not sure which ones.
This is very true. Almost every lawnmower blade is made from 10B38 steel. Marbain is a trademark for Fisher, but I see that Oregon is also using that name in 2013; maybe it's 10b38 modified but I'm not that smart. Fisher's customers must make good margin because a lot of the blades are unfinished steel or have an oil finish. Last set of OEM Deere blades I got from the dealer had rust on them. No thanks. But yeah, just FYI Fisher has a tiny logo of an FB together that they put on everything. I've seen it on Kubota, Scag, some Cub, Deere, Snapper and Ferris.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

That explains the small logo I couldn't figure out. When I went for blades for my Ferris the parts person asked if I wanted the OEM or aftermarket and agreed the OEM was a better steel, Marbain. The OEMs cost more and not sure how much as the extra set of blades was part of the purchase deal for me. The other thing to watch out for is the blade part number. I discovered that the first extra set they gave me were blades for the pre ICD deck and not the ones listed for the ICD deck. The main difference seems to be a slightly longer lift but there must have been a reason why Ferris went to them and so they had to order. I do know they were about $25 more for a set of 3 as the salesman had to cough up the difference. If anyone needs the part number for the Ferris IS3100Z ICD deck I can provide the old and new part numbers.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I had the luxory of working for an OEM that owned an aftermarket company so I can pretty much tell you where everything in the market comes from. Can't tell you the name of the company though. Still in my "be quiet" period.