Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-10-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

What you think about this mower

Thinking to buy this for my 1 acre and bigger yards. I am a little mechanically inclined I know its not a sit down fancy 48 exmark but was wondering if this would do. Als not trying to spend thousand of dollars on something I cant justify.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/for/3844580645.html
36" Walk behind bobcat Mower with sulky.
Echo/stihl stuff
5 by 10 trailer.
Commercial Pesticide License#:19195
and a little bit of JESUS

www.islandlawnandpressure.com

Don't Quit Try Harder!!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I went cheap with my first mower too. Then in came the expenses. And I ended up paying the same amount for a brand new mower in replacement parts. Something to consider if your doing this commercially. At this point I only buy new.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It'd be fine & the sulky is nice to stand on vs walking.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like deal!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How many 1+ acre lawns you have to mow?

I to would like to get a larger mower to get done quicker. However I have more time then lawns. So I am taking more time so I can save and pay cash for a new mower.

Notice how the mower was just washed and photographed wet so it looks shinny.

Now take a closer look and see how badly stained that machine is that most of the dirt did not wash off. This is a machine that has a ton of hours on it and not many hours left in it.

If it was good, why is the guy selling it?

At my age I do not want to be walking large properties.

If you're young when you get to be my age your legs will be glad that you did not do all that walking. Wait till you can afford a seat.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never run a belt drive but I hear they don't like hills.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow all you guys make perfect sense. I just hate using my sulky 36 inch mower on these two 3 yards I have. 1 yard is 1.75 acre, the 2nd one is 1 acre and the 3rd one is 1.2 acres. It's a night mare to do them with the 36 mower and they take me anywhere between 1.5 hrs to 3 hrs. They have slight hills some have trees and 1 yard is very rocky popped my tire the last time I did it.. Maybe I should just abondon them until I can afford something bigger.
36" Walk behind bobcat Mower with sulky.
Echo/stihl stuff
5 by 10 trailer.
Commercial Pesticide License#:19195
and a little bit of JESUS

www.islandlawnandpressure.com

Don't Quit Try Harder!!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrowns View Post
Wow all you guys make perfect sense. I just hate using my sulky 36 inch mower on these two 3 yards I have. 1 yard is 1.75 acre, the 2nd one is 1 acre and the 3rd one is 1.2 acres. It's a night mare to do them with the 36 mower and they take me anywhere between 1.5 hrs to 3 hrs. They have slight hills some have trees and 1 yard is very rocky popped my tire the last time I did it.. Maybe I should just abondon them until I can afford something bigger.
Do you have more hours then lawns to mow?

Is it that easy to keep your schedule filled with with 40 hours of work?

Answer is no to either one then you need to man up and keep those lawns.

I have a 1 acre lawn that I do with a 42" JD 180 LT. I wish my mower was larger and faster. Though I am glad to have this job. I picked up this job in May. Hope to get 23 mows in this season. $60 x 23 = $1380. I can up grade a lot of things with $1380.

If I had three of these properties that would be $4140.

And you want to walk away from $4140?

What are you _____________?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

browns, here is a simple response to your conundrum. as stated by 32vld, if you have the time to spend there mowing with your 36, it may not be a bad idea, but keep in mind there is a certain point that even for $60 is it really worth 3 hrs? I don't know what you're making on these accounts, just throwing a random number out there. $60 is what I would charge and I would be there about 35-40 minutes with a two man crew. I think that for that mower, they want too much. It appears to have been well used for the "residential only" advertisement. Maybe it was used on "residential" accounts only. If you want to expand and bump up to a bigger mower, keep an eye out, you will find one eventually. Look on craigslist within an hr or so of your house, you may find something out there. Be very careful on craigslist, there a lot of people selling pieces of s*** for the price of gold. Never believe anything a seller tells you and do the investigative work. When you find one, tell the seller that you will buy it, but want to have it checked by a local dealer. If it were me, I'd look for a 48" exmark turf tracer, it has the floating deck, making deck adjustments easier and less likely to scalp. I know scag makes one as well, but not sure the model. I'd also look for a machine with no more than 800 hours, if it looks good. You can usually tell when someone has maintained theire equipment or has beaten the life out of it. Until then, keep using your 36" there is nothing wrong with that, unless you could be making more money doing smaller yards in place of your bigger one.
2014 Kubota SVL90 CTL
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z X-series
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z E-series
2013 eXmark Commercial 30"
Echo/Stihl peripherals
Old 06-19-2013, 04:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude a lot of guys in our area (like you) are using simple ride on tractors from Home Depot. They honestly make a lot of since for acreage in north ga. Use the 36 in the nice spots and the rider on the rest.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!