Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Help with new mower decision

Ok, I no longer do commercial work but still cut my mom's back yard and my old house. I am currently using an older JX 75. I havent' found anything I like as much as those (have a few). They are starting to have isues now though and would like a larger cut mower (still want a nice cut). Pretty set on a blade clutch and bagging. I honestly don't mulch much currently. I bought a timemaster last year and hated it. Took it back in 2 weeks. I am leaning towards the Ybravo 25. It's on sale for 1299 with a local dealer. I was looking at the Toro/exmark 30" but think the ybravo may be the better cut and mower over time. Looking for input. I understand ybravo is working on a rear discharge option for the mower. I'm guessing it will be similar to the JX75 discharge chute. Anyways, Thanks for the input.
Brian
Old 06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Good deal on a Ybravo 25. What didn't you like about your timemaster? The pro versions won't be any more powerful, only heavier and more durable. My time master rocks with turfmaster blades and a slight rpm bump. I originally wanted a Ybravo 25 but my dealer said $1500 when HD gave me 10% off.

Engine power is similar between the two, but i don't know if the twin blades on the T30 are an efficiency bonus or power hog compared to one large blade. All i know is it really works well for me and the 6 lawns i cut.

If the timemaster didn't work for you, the ybravo might not have enough power either, and you may need a good used commercial walk behind of some sort.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I think the ybravo will be more powerful because it's 25" versus the 30 like you said. I just had some issues with it. it felt cheap to me (again, been using the JX75 for 20+ years and am used to a certain solidness that most mowers don't seem to have). It stalled a few times and was really hard to start. It surged a few times. On flat concrete, one wheel wouldn't touch the ground. That's not something you notice cutting but just led to my feeling like it wasn't well built. I also wasn't happy with the cut. When I heard about the commercial version I was sold. I went and looked at one today. holy hell that thing is big and bulky looking/feeling. Ybravo still feels like the winner. I don't want a WB for this mower (I want something that I won't need to use a finish mower to clean up the curbs and such.
Thanks for the reply,
Brian
Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like you got a bad timemaster. Mine could probably be started by a little girl and runs great. It is a little cheaper built but that helps keep the weight and price down. Mine was made in mexico. I didn't want the weight of the pro model, and the price difference helps too. So i just be very careful with it and take good care of it.

That Ybravo 25 should be a nice machine and they keep parts for very reasonable prices. Light weight, commercial honda engine and they look cool. It just wont cut 30" at once and costs more. If i don't get good life out my T30 i'll probably look into a Ybravo 25.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, I picked up the Ybravo 25 yesterday. My front didn't really need it but I cut the front grass real fast to see how it did. It's nice. Cut really well, I do wish I had another one or two height adjustments. It's not as easy as my JX75. I can just flip that thing around with ease. This takes a little more. I also will need to plan corners better. I didn't think about it but msot of my ease with the JX is that the wheels are plastic. While they are spinning, I can slide the rear around and such. Definately will not happen with the 25. I am going to my mom's house today to help her cut her back yard. It's pretty overgrown so it should be a good test for it.
Brian
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Well damn... I'm not sure if I like the Ybravo either. Yesterday a small part fell off of it. Wasn't that big of a deal so I just found a nut and reattached it. It was the drive lever stop bracket that stops the drive lever from dropping too far from reaching it from handlebar. Today, it wouldn't disengage while I was mowing. I'd let go of the handle and it kept going. Almost pulled me off a little hill one time. That wore me out pretty good. The other issue is that I have the handles up all the way but they feel low to me (I'm 6'4) it's ok going straight but once I push it down to turn, I have to stoop down a bit. I don't know what to do. I guess just be happy with the John Deeres? lol. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and see what he says. I will say I talked to someone at Ybravo today who was SUPER helpful. We talked about mowers for about 45 minutes. He REALLY believes in this product line and was really enthusiastic to hear user's input and offer advice.
Brian