Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The disinformation in this thread is likely what is most dangerous.

1. You can most certainly use an automotive tire on a trailer, what you can not do is use a trailer tire on a car.
As for what the DOT has to say about it, the DOT itself is a branch of the U.S. government and as such is incapable of speech...
An employee AT the DOT may be another story, and they are not all properly informed and educated either.
They can write you a ticket, but whether that's because the tire is a violation or they're having a bad day?

2. Two years is about the most you're going to get out of tires on a dual axle trailer.

3. On a dual axle trailer any more than 6 plies isn't really helping, two years is two years, your tires are wearing because of the turns, dual axles stay rigid through out the turns and that is what causes wear, more plies spends more money but it doesn't keep the tread from getting roughed around.

4. You want longer lasting tires, get radials but you're still not getting much past 2 years on a dual axle.

Last edited by herler; 06-18-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh here we go again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Member

For me 10 plys is for the extra weight capacity and the lack of flats. Not expecting extra mileage. Trailer tires are usually a soft compound so they wear out quickly. I will try some harder compound truck tires next time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
The disinformation in this thread is likely what is most dangerous.

2. Two years is about the most you're going to get out of tires on a dual axle trailer.

3. On a dual axle trailer any more than 6 plies isn't really helping, two years is two years, your tires are wearing because of the turns, dual axles stay rigid through out the turns and that is what causes wear, more plies spends more money but it doesn't keep the tread from getting roughed around.

4. You want longer lasting tires, get radials but you're still not getting much past 2 years on a dual axle.
I agree, your misinformation is astonishing.

I do get more than 2 years out of tires. My original tires were 205-15 trailer tires. They went for 5 years. My current tires are 225-15 radial trailer tires. They currently have 5 years on them.

It's not that a trailer is rigid that causes problems with tires on tandem axle trailers. And the problem isn't that the tread wears off. Tires on tandem axle trailer are subject to twisting forces that far exceed anything an auto or truck tire would ever see. Tandem axle dump trucks have the same twisting forces on their rear tires. When you make a turn one tire is going to be dragged around the corner and the other tire will be twisted. It's just the nature of having 2 tires trying to do the job of 1.

Trailer tires are specially constructed to withstand these twisting forces better than auto and truck tires.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I agree, your misinformation is astonishing.

I do get more than 2 years out of tires. My original tires were 205-15 trailer tires. They went for 5 years. My current tires are 225-15 radial trailer tires. They currently have 5 years on them.

It's not that a trailer is rigid that causes problems with tires on tandem axle trailers. And the problem isn't that the tread wears off. Tires on tandem axle trailer are subject to twisting forces that far exceed anything an auto or truck tire would ever see. Tandem axle dump trucks have the same twisting forces on their rear tires. When you make a turn one tire is going to be dragged around the corner and the other tire will be twisted. It's just the nature of having 2 tires trying to do the job of 1.

Trailer tires are specially constructed to withstand these twisting forces better than auto and truck tires.
Hence why I have to be careful making sharp corners with trailer with suv tires. 6400 lbs on my tires rated for about 6800. Sometimes it looks like I'm going to pop a bead.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemony Snicket View Post
My new ATC enclosed trailer has 16 inch wheels but I do not know which tires it has because I am waiting on ATC to deliver it to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice choice in trailers.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not true. I have (3) tandem axle trailers & my used tires on these trailers, are over two yrs old. And I'm rough pulling trailers, drive fast, heavy breaking etc.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Nice choice in trailers.
Thanks ducnut. They are very pricey when optioned out but I figure after 35 years of open trailers I am due. I even have insulation and A/C for this one so I can do field repairs to my equipment in the cool. All aluminum as well with Disc brakes even.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy a commercial rated tire and end this banter.